Bandlab Cakewak vs Cubase

Plug-in hosts and other software applications discussion
Zexila
KVRAF
3090 posts since 18 Mar, 2008

Post Sat Aug 04, 2018 11:08 am

Yeah, guess there's some technical reasons only devs. know about. :)
This entire forum is wading through predictions, opinions, barely formed thoughts, drama, and whining. If you don't enjoy that, why are you here? :D ShawnG

starise
KVRist
38 posts since 31 Aug, 2007

Re: Bandlab Cakewak vs Cubase

Post Sat Aug 04, 2018 12:38 pm

I don't doubt you dellboy. :) I'm sure you are having an issue with usb and CbB. I have to ask , you aren't using a hub are you?

I can't confirm or deny anything but my own experiences. I have a whole bunch of keyboards and controllers. None of them fail to connect to CbB either through my interface midi or through usb. I would venture to say if you ask on the forum giving us your keyboard model number, type of computer and current OS we might be able to help you sort it out.I had an issue with a controller but it wasn't CbB that was the problem.

I have an occasional automation glitch when I group channels and write volume automation all at the same time. I believe they are addressing this issue. This issue isn't reproduced across all systems.

I expect some great things to come with CbB in the future!

dellboy
KVRian
677 posts since 28 Mar, 2007

Re: Bandlab Cakewak vs Cubase

Post Sat Aug 04, 2018 2:07 pm

starise wrote:I don't doubt you dellboy. :) I'm sure you are having an issue with usb and CbB. I have to ask , you aren't using a hub are you?

I can't confirm or deny anything but my own experiences. I have a whole bunch of keyboards and controllers. None of them fail to connect to CbB either through my interface midi or through usb. I would venture to say if you ask on the forum giving us your keyboard model number, type of computer and current OS we might be able to help you sort it out.I had an issue with a controller but it wasn't CbB that was the problem.

I have an occasional automation glitch when I group channels and write volume automation all at the same time. I believe they are addressing this issue. This issue isn't reproduced across all systems.

I expect some great things to come with CbB in the future!
I am referring to multiple USB controllers, not one, which generally is ok. I have two Novation controller keyboards and a Yamaha 88 key piano controller.

I was about to delete CbB earlier on, but decided to try the newest update before giving up on it. It is now working with all three controllers. Whether this is a false dawn or it will continue to work I have no idea, but its up and running at the present time.

User avatar
ruslan.st
KVRist
184 posts since 23 Oct, 2009

Re: Bandlab Cakewak vs Cubase

Post Sat Aug 04, 2018 2:37 pm

flugel45 wrote: It serves no one on the forum to ignore or "fail to acknowledge" reproducible bugs.
My problem with Sonar some years ago was that many bugs were difficult to reproduce. They looked appearing frequently out of nowhere without reason. It usually required many trials and errors to figure out which exact sequence of actions and what project configuration led to bug. Then after finally finding the pattern it was required to describe every detail if I wanted report to support or on forum. Too much work and at some moment I gave up on Cakewalk/Sonar.

dellboy
KVRian
677 posts since 28 Mar, 2007

Re: Bandlab Cakewak vs Cubase

Post Tue Aug 07, 2018 2:43 am

starise wrote:I don't doubt you dellboy. :) I'm sure you are having an issue with usb and CbB. I have to ask , you aren't using a hub are you?
I most certainly was having major issues which were well documented on the Sonar forum and which Craig Anderton wrote an article about.

His conclusion was that the answer was to delete hidden USB ghost clips which built up somewhere. I tried this a number of times with no real success . But the good news is that I downloaded and installed the latest update,and, as of today it is still rock solid. I even have my Novation controller working, although Sonar no longer shows up as one of the DAWs available in the auto-map page for some reason.

starise
KVRist
38 posts since 31 Aug, 2007

Re: Bandlab Cakewak vs Cubase

Post Tue Aug 07, 2018 11:15 am

I'm glad you were able to get it working on dellboy. Nothing like a problem to keep the creativity away.

Zexila
KVRAF
3090 posts since 18 Mar, 2008

Re: Bandlab Cakewak vs Cubase

Post Tue Aug 07, 2018 11:20 am

Image
This entire forum is wading through predictions, opinions, barely formed thoughts, drama, and whining. If you don't enjoy that, why are you here? :D ShawnG

User avatar
VELLTONE MUSIC
KVRist
454 posts since 19 Sep, 2017 from Planet Earth

Re: Bandlab Cakewak vs Cubase

Post Sat Aug 11, 2018 2:02 am

Bandlab Cakewalk won me - prefer to invest in hardware,synths and equipment for my home studio than to pay everytime they decide to update Cubase.Cheerz :)

Zexila
KVRAF
3090 posts since 18 Mar, 2008

Re: Bandlab Cakewak vs Cubase

Post Sat Aug 11, 2018 2:27 am

Awesome. :party:
This entire forum is wading through predictions, opinions, barely formed thoughts, drama, and whining. If you don't enjoy that, why are you here? :D ShawnG

J4R1O
KVRian
650 posts since 1 Jan, 2013

Re: Bandlab Cakewak vs Cubase

Post Sun Aug 12, 2018 5:33 am

VELLTONE MUSIC wrote:Bandlab Cakewalk won me - prefer to invest in hardware,synths and equipment for my home studio than to pay everytime they decide to update Cubase.Cheerz :)
Just like any company they want to make money (obviously) and that means paid updates or monthly/annual subscripton model. It will happen, sooner or later.

IMO they should have buried that Sonar/Cakewalk code 6 feet under since it was nothing but a huge bloated mess with countless patches on it.
The truth is usually just an excuse for a lack of imagination.

jsp1979
KVRAF
2859 posts since 7 Aug, 2008

Re: Bandlab Cakewak vs Cubase

Post Sun Aug 12, 2018 5:38 am

J4R1O wrote:
VELLTONE MUSIC wrote:Bandlab Cakewalk won me - prefer to invest in hardware,synths and equipment for my home studio than to pay everytime they decide to update Cubase.Cheerz :)
Just like any company they want to make money (obviously) and that means paid updates or monthly/annual subscripton model. It will happen, sooner or later.
Just like FL Studio, right?

Oh wait.

zzz00m
KVRian
1293 posts since 17 Sep, 2016

Re: Bandlab Cakewak vs Cubase

Post Sun Aug 12, 2018 7:13 am

J4R1O wrote:
IMO they should have buried that Sonar/Cakewalk code 6 feet under since it was nothing but a huge bloated mess with countless patches on it.
Typical opinion statement from somebody who probably knows nothing of what he speaks. Only a qualified software engineer with privileged access to the source code could make that determination.
Windows 10; with instruments from AIR, Ample Sound, AAS, Cakewalk, IK Multimedia, iZotope, KV331, NI, Seaweed Audio, SONiVOX, TAL, Tracktion, u-he, Way Out Ware, XLN, others...

chk071
KVRAF
17044 posts since 11 Apr, 2010 from Germany

Re: Bandlab Cakewak vs Cubase

Post Sun Aug 12, 2018 7:49 am

Well.. Steinberg decided some versions ago to rewrite a lot of the VST code in Cubase, so... it might not be totally escapist. I think it's pretty normal that the code base grows and grows and grows, and that there's a lot of bloat in there, which could be more streamlined.

stacev
KVRist
36 posts since 22 Sep, 2016

Re: Bandlab Cakewak vs Cubase

Post Sun Aug 12, 2018 9:35 pm

zzz00m wrote:
J4R1O wrote:
IMO they should have buried that Sonar/Cakewalk code 6 feet under since it was nothing but a huge bloated mess with countless patches on it.
Typical opinion statement from somebody who probably knows nothing of what he speaks. Only a qualified software engineer with privileged access to the source code could make that determination.
I tend to agree regarding burying code :) Sometimes it is enough to use program, investigate bugs, follow program development to make reasonable assumption that code base is too difficult for developers to work on and to make changes, fixes. Maybe for Sonar it would be even better if Gibson kept it to themselves. Then everybody could tell that "bad Gibson killed another excellent software". But the problem with Sonar/Cakewalk is that it was/is far from excellent, it was on decline before Gibson got it. Now there is near half year since it is owned by Bandlab and most discussions and excitement about free Cakewalk calmed down. I doubt if it will be strong team dedicated to Cakewalk now, which will be able to deal with complicated issues and significantly improve it. Cakewalk is dead :) Ok, not yet and even free to use, but after year or two it is going to become abandonware or very niche daw like SAW Studio, music trackers from 90-ies and similar.

Trancit
KVRAF
1702 posts since 27 Jul, 2004

Re: Bandlab Cakewak vs Cubase

Post Sun Aug 12, 2018 11:40 pm

stacev wrote: ...Now there is near half year since it is owned by Bandlab and most discussions and excitement about free Cakewalk calmed down. I doubt if it will be strong team dedicated to Cakewalk now, which will be able to deal with complicated issues and significantly improve it. Cakewalk is dead :) Ok, not yet and even free to use, but after year or two it is going to become abandonware or very niche daw like SAW Studio, music trackers from 90-ies and similar.
Who knows... at the very end, this can happen to every product and don´t forget this guy (respectfuly his family) has more money than they could spend in 10 lifetimes... just the interests of this capital could let a whole company running without any income for ages and ages...

For now it´s there... it´s free and I am sure a whole lot of people do appreciate this and use this software with fun on an every days basis

Return to “Hosts & Applications (Sequencers, DAWs, Audio Editors, etc.)”