Ear Protection VST ?

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Effects Discussion
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Same here, Reaper deals with it pretty nicely with the auto-mute.
Then, if an fx, synth or feedback-loop too often gets wild and loud on particular settings/patches tweaking, I also put a limiter on the master buss so I dont have to unmute every 10 seconds :lol:

Not something I've ever thought about for at-home playing around with recording and mixing. Certainly something I have considered for live. I went away from wedges years ago and have in-ear monitoring (which I keep quite low, they block out >30db of sound to start with). The amp that drives these has a limiter in it. The main console does too, but I want a limiter as close to my ears in the signal flow as possible. I have had it kick on too, once when I accidentally had the volume up when I switched it on (I luckily didn't have the earbuds in, but I saw the limiter light going crazy!)

SparkySpark wrote: Sun Aug 12, 2018 9:08 am
camsr wrote:
SparkySpark wrote:Any other solution?
Keep the headphones off of your ears until the playback starts? You should still be able to hear it.
And use an analog volume control? Forget the USB stuff, I never liked the idea of the master volume being computer based.
Thanks. Can you elaborate perhaps on the master volume getting computer based? Isn't it always in our case?
Not always. There's so many different ways of controlling volume that it's really silly to recommend just one. Most all home theater receivers are digitally controlled (either computationally, or electrically.) Car radios are basically that way also. A totally analog volume control can have some pitfalls such as pot noise and stereo matching. A big plus of digital controls is the elimination of pot noise!
What really matters to me with a volume control is it being dependable and easy to use.

Etienne1973 wrote: Fri Aug 03, 2018 10:25 pm Cerberus Audio Ice9 Automute (Free)

Problem: Website is down! :(

I can send you a copy (Mac).
Is there anything compareable still available anywhere?
Studio One, Logic
macOS
–– -
http://ansolas.de

ansolas wrote: Tue Nov 15, 2022 1:08 pm
Etienne1973 wrote: Fri Aug 03, 2018 10:25 pm Cerberus Audio Ice9 Automute (Free)

Sigmod by Nugen Audio has a protection module

Limiter on the master and eq on stabby frequencies and you're probably good.

I can sympathize sometimes after long sessions my ears take a beating in the form of various pain, loss of hearing, tinnitus, etc.

Free Cerberus Ice9 Automute is up again.
Link: https://freevstplugins.net/cerberus-aud ... -automute/

Etienne1973 wrote: Tue Nov 15, 2022 10:53 pm

Free Cerberus Ice9 Automute is up again.
Link: https://freevstplugins.net/cerberus-aud ... -automute/
but not updatd sicne 2016 , so no apple silcon support etc
Studio One, Logic
macOS
–– -
http://ansolas.de

It's weird to me how there still isn't a viable alternative to Ice9 and how all DAWs don't have this feature built in.

wvshpr wrote: Sat Dec 03, 2022 4:25 pm It's weird to me how there still isn't a viable alternative to Ice9 and how all DAWs don't have this feature built in.
Nugen Audio’s SigMod has a circuit breaker module. I have it permanently strapped to my system output using Rogue Amoeba’s Soundsource utility as well as a limiter to catch the pop that circuit breakers don’t catch. Works flawlessly.

masterhiggins wrote: Sat Dec 03, 2022 6:50 pm
wvshpr wrote: Sat Dec 03, 2022 4:25 pm It's weird to me how there still isn't a viable alternative to Ice9 and how all DAWs don't have this feature built in.
Nugen Audio’s SigMod has a circuit breaker module. I have it permanently strapped to my system output using Rogue Amoeba’s Soundsource utility as well as a limiter to catch the pop that circuit breakers don’t catch. Works flawlessly.
Yeah, I know. Just not Apple Silicon native. And nothing in sight yet.

SigMod may also just be overkill for that specific purpose. But a good mention nevertheless.
Last edited by wvshpr on Sat Dec 03, 2022 7:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.

wvshpr wrote: Sat Dec 03, 2022 7:17 pm
Yeah, I know. Just not Apple Silicon native. And it seems like the company is pretty much dead. They haven't done anything recently.
Nugen has released Paragon, Halo UpMix, the Elements Bundle.
Pretty active for a Zombie :borg:

martinjuenke wrote: Sat Dec 03, 2022 7:19 pm
wvshpr wrote: Sat Dec 03, 2022 7:17 pm
Yeah, I know. Just not Apple Silicon native. And it seems like the company is pretty much dead. They haven't done anything recently.
Nugen has released Paragon, Halo UpMix, the Elements Bundle.
Pretty active for a Zombie :borg:
Yes, indeed. Edited my post :hihi:

I use this to protect my ears:
1C467973-F341-4F8C-B0CC-104CD421545E.jpeg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Tappistry wrote: Wed Aug 08, 2018 3:35 am
Etienne1973 wrote:Cerberus Audio Ice9 Automute (Free)

nordickvr wrote:Its free at PluginBoutique.
Also want to point out for those interested that PluginBoutique hosts their own downloads, and it's probably the only place I've been able an active link to download Ice9.
I have the installer, but would be interested to know the location you speak about. Couldn't find it on PB. I use that tool regulary on my master in sound design stage, when there can be unpredictable feedbacks or smth.

Return to “Effects”