Linked parameters

DSP, Plug-in and Host development discussion.
trecords
KVRer
4 posts since 24 Jun, 2011

Post Sun Aug 05, 2018 1:23 pm

Hi everyone!

Please advise me how to do that. There are two parameters in my plugin, named "Left" and "Right". Also I have a "Link" button. I want to change these two parameters simultaneously when the "Link" button is pressed. I.e. when I move the "Left" slider, the "Right" slider have to move simultaneously with the "Left" slider or vice versa.

Thanks.

Squidsneeze
KVRist
50 posts since 3 Nov, 2015 from Germany

Re: Linked parameters

Post Sun Aug 05, 2018 1:29 pm

Set the value of the other slider's parameter to the value of the dragged one whenever it got moved. Then trigger an editor redraw.

Audiority
KVRian
769 posts since 15 Nov, 2005 from Italy

Post Fri Aug 10, 2018 1:50 pm

you must do that asynchronously, otherwise most DAW will basically "explode". I used a sort of "semaphore" that sets a parameter busy. In this way both parameters cannot be changed in the same instant, avoiding wormholes.
Audiority
Need a Kontakt scripter? Contact me.

mystran
KVRAF
5032 posts since 12 Feb, 2006 from Helsinki, Finland

Post Sat Aug 11, 2018 1:56 am

Another possibility (that seems a whole lot less likely to cause issues): when your "linked" parameter is active, you just use one of the parameters for both channels and ignore the other. You can do this in both your custom GUI (treat both sliders as mapped to the same parameter when linked) and your audio code.

This way you eliminate any possibility that the parameters are out of sync, since you're not using the other one at all while linked. You could still change (and send parameter changes to the host for) the other parameter value too if you wanted to, but whether this stays exactly in alignment is no longer an issue if the actual "linking" is done by ignoring the parameters for the second channel.
If you'd like Signaldust to return, please ask Katinka Tuisku to resign.

Return to “DSP and Plug-in Development”