SlateDigital new FG-A beats API

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Effects Discussion
Locked New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS
FG-A Vintage EQ

Must be the best API emulation I know. Simply wonderful top end EQ.
http://slatedigital.com/fg-a/

If it beats it then it’d be a poor emulation ;)

Better than UAD? Unlikely. Slate has been decent but not that good.

Fleer wrote:Must be the best API emulation I know. Simply wonderful top end EQ.
http://slatedigital.com/fg-a/
Which API hardware series did you use for a comparison?

Someone posted the frequency response on Gearslutz from plugin doctor, and it looks pretty whack.

https://www.gearslutz.com/board/members ... te-api.png

Slate are just another garbage operation making cheap, dongle-protected software with other dependencies designed to trap their customers in to their product. I'd avoid it like the plague.

Waves' version (API 550) is on sale right now for like 30 bucks. I'd be all over that.

badass_billy wrote:Someone posted the frequency response on Gearslutz from plugin doctor, and it looks pretty whack.

https://www.gearslutz.com/board/members ... te-api.png

Slate are just another garbage operation making cheap, dongle-protected software with other dependencies designed to trap their customers in to their product. I'd avoid it like the plague.

Waves' version (API 550) is on sale right now for like 30 bucks. I'd be all over that.
The copy protection as well as the business model of a company has absolutely nothing to do with the audio quality of a plug-in. Regardless, I see it the other way around. I prefer an activated license on a dongle to the Waves Central and its WUP. So let's not turn this into a copy protection debate.

Thanks for frequency response screenshot!

Double post.
Last edited by The Noodlist on Thu Aug 09, 2018 5:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Is materialism devouring your musical output? :ud:

groovyomega wrote:
badass_billy wrote:The copy protection as well as the business model of a company has absolutely nothing to do with the audio quality of a plug-in.
It most certainly does. It means they're not a company that places a premium on the customer as the ultimate focus of their business. Which means they most likely don't value customer feedback, which means quality will ultimately suffer.

If they were a customer-focused company, someone would have responded to that graph immediately, offered up an explanation, and if necessary, get working on a bug fix and announce a timeline for the bug fix. Because that's what customer-centric businesses do.

And I have absolutely nothing against iLok, and nothing against offering dongle protection as an option to those who prefer it, so long as it's not a requirement. I'm also referring mostly to their Virtual Mixing Rack thingie, which is just another dumb way of creating another unnecessary dependency on another product.

It all screams "cheap crap" to me.

The Noodlist wrote:
badass_billy wrote:
Acusctica Pink CM also springs to mind.

Last edited by The Noodlist on Thu Aug 09, 2018 5:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Is materialism devouring your musical output? :ud:

Acustica Pink2 has a few of it's own issues. Namely, it rolls off the extreme high and low end for each band you use. This is only present in it's "A" model. It's other models don't do that, from what I gather, but I'd be careful. On an individual track, it might not make a lot of difference, but over the entire mix, a lot of bands might wind up rolling off more of the highs and lows than is desirable.

If it were my money, I'd go for the waves because 30 bucks, man! Come on.

I would get the Pink2 for the compressor, because it's emulation of the 2500 is just on a whole 'nother level.

Pink CM I don't even think exists any more. No experience with Overloud but I've heard good things. And PSP's PreQursor is another one that is supposedly modeled after the API. And they've never made an EQ I didn't like. But it's also not on sale for 30 bucks. :hihi:

What is that screen shot telling you?
With no bands engaged, it rolls off at 5Hz (er OK), and with the "opamp" switch on, it's 2.5db louder. We'll, that is clearly *not* the case with FG-A, so maybe the plugin doctor tests are screwy.

Or am I mising something?

FG-A sounds better (to me) than Overloud EQ550 and way better than Waves 550b.
Of course, it costs more than $30 too.
John Braner
http://johnbraner.bandcamp.com
http://www.soundclick.com/johnbraner
and all the major streaming/download sites.

In my opinion the slate API emulation is pretty damn spot on, at least the overall "boxtone". This is as close as it's been done before in my opionion (yes I've used the UAD plugin). Pink2 I don't count as it's kind of a specialty plugin and has it's own issues.
"Wisdom is wisdom, regardless of the idiot who said it." -an idiot

Any frequency responses are meaningless as long as it sounds good...

People can argue against Slate what they want, but their plugins are damn good and very lightweight on resources...
And that´s the problematic developers nowadays have to face... many come up with decent and good sounding plugins... but most of them eat your CPU at breakfast... i.e. IK Multimedia ... they use ten times more CPU than the Slate ones without any hearable reason...

Trancit wrote:... many come up with decent and good sounding plugins... but most of them eat your CPU at breakfast... i.e. IK Multimedia ... they use ten times more CPU than the Slate ones without any hearable reason...
That's just the ting. There are soooo many good-sounding plugins, why would anyone even waste their time on the "Amway" of plugins? :hihi:

And I say that because I remember all the weirdos who used to worship Amway like it was a religion. After a while, they all knew the product was just average, run-of-the-mill crap you can get at any grocery store. But they all invested in these "memberships" that were going to make them rich if they signed 10 of their friends up. :hihi:

Slate just creates a false market with all these fanbots by making them sink money in their virtual mixer thingie that NO ONE likes or finds useful. Then they crank out average stuff and get everyone excited by telling them how great it is, and how they're "still working on" making it independent of their virtual mixer thingie.

What a turd of a plugin. I got my own virtual mixer, thankyou. It's called a DAW.

jbraner wrote: FG-A sounds better (to me) than Overloud EQ550 and way better than Waves 550b.
And IKM EQ PA.
bmanic wrote:In my opinion the slate API emulation is pretty damn spot on, at least the overall "boxtone". This is as close as it's been done before in my opionion (yes I've used the UAD plugin).
My thoughts exactly :tu:

Return to “Effects”