your "super-synth" ?

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Cinebient wrote:After revisiting some synths, explore new presets and dive in in new features i came to the decision that if i would want to use one super synth it is for sure Alchemy. If the Logic version just still had .tun file import....
What other tunings than equal are you‘re working with? I‘m pretty interested in this way to sound „different“, but often other tunings struggle with the rest of a mix. :help:

martinjuenke wrote:
Cinebient wrote:After revisiting some synths, explore new presets and dive in in new features i came to the decision that if i would want to use one super synth it is for sure Alchemy. If the Logic version just still had .tun file import....
What other tunings than equal are you‘re working with? I‘m pretty interested in this way to sound „different“, but often other tunings struggle with the rest of a mix. :help:
Some microtunings goes well with the western scale (at least some notes of it) but if i use microtonal scales/tunings i try to tune all instruments to the same.
F.e. Omnisphere is great here, Chromaphone, the U-he synths and some more.
Alchemy 1.55 had it too (plus waveform import) which sadly is removed with the (otherwise much better) Logic version.
I really like some alternative harmonic tunings f.e. for some kind of horror things played with tuned music boxes, bells like sounds and other things. It can create a really different kind of mood you can´t get with any western scale (at least i can´t :) ).
I just like to experiment with weird soundscapes and also for drone stuff i like it.
A reason i like 2CAudios Kaleidoscope. Best thing for soundscapes and ambiences in any tuning.

martinjuenke wrote:
i used to enjoy working with one in particular that spread a single octave over 88 keys.
impractical for most music but interesting to play around with for soundscape stuff :)

not to mention if using any non western instruments, it can keep them from sounding unnatural. although you do need to understand the scales youre using for that to work fully but i guess it could still be fun to play with if you don't care about authenticity :oops:

I have Pianoteq Standard as a kind of laboratory or microtuning because it‘s quite transparent on what‘s going on aka „detuned“.

Synthmaster

no doubt.
even with a few really good ones in my garage. synthmaster has the most powerful and versatile sound.
but i admit, if i´d had a hardware synth this would be another game.

martinjuenke wrote:I have Pianoteq Standard as a kind of laboratory or microtuning because it‘s quite transparent on what‘s going on aka „detuned“.
+1 ...my main interest though, is not because of microtuning but playability, realism and versatility of modelled instruments

I think mine is Arcsyn. I love the sound and the many, many features. I somehow relate to the devloper's goals and many magnificent ambient presets. I can tolerate the UI. Diversion ought to be up there with me, but I only love a couple of the presets. Factory is my go-to if I'm programming a sound from scratch.

Synthmaster.2 and One. They just sound superb.

Falcon, overall. Does almost everything I could want a softsynth to do.

I am on the other end of the scale, I cannot simply have 1 synth anymore. I spent a lot of time recently, acquiring more and more synths than i'll ever need. Where as I'd have 3 or 4 and pretty much design every sound in my tracks myself, I am more happy to try different synths and it's presets first now and then go to one of my more trusted ones for my own sound design purposes. Currently that is Icarus2
Don't trust those with words of weakness, they are the most aggressive

I don't need one super-synth "to rule them all". I just like to switch synths every now and then to get new ideas.

That being said, now I consider Serum, Dune 3 and Massive X fully-featured workhorse synths that can handle any task and synthesis need in a real project. Everything else is just a toy added for fun or a special flavour.
Blog ------------- YouTube channel
Tricky-Loops wrote: (...)someone like Armin van Buuren who claims to make a track in half an hour and all his songs sound somewhat boring(...)

I've tested every soft-synth on the planet. Including all the new ones. PhasePlant, Falcon, Rapid, Pigments... I even own a few of them. ...but somehow I'm still getting back to Serum and Zebra. They are not "to rule them all" kind of synths by any mean. They both miss a lot of features to be considered that. But they are the "classics". Serum has been a king of EDM for years, Zebra is for more cinematic stuff.

If you can buy just one, though, and want it to be able to do as much as possible ... and don't mind a bit of a learning curve in terms of the GUI ... I'd say Falcon. It's really capable, multilayered "build your own Omnisphere" kind of thing. :)
Evovled into noctucat...
http://www.noctucat.com/

Poly-Ana is great, but it is not a super-synth. It is one of the more comprehensive VA synths, sure. But I wouldn't even call Diva a "super-synth".

And when I say "great" I am talking about its sound. It is still one of the better VAs. Not revolutionary by 2020 standards, but very very good.

But its workflow is atrocious. We've moved far beyond archaic bank/preset-style systems. Also, it is desperately in need of a proper modern installer that does not require the user to manually create various directories and move files around. I mean, even "activating" a theme requires moving skin directories around. That's just crazy.

Return to “Instruments”