Nominal6: Jam393 - tranquil, smooth, acoustic guitar, piano, synths

Share your music, collaborate, and partake in monthly music contests.
mevla
KVRAF
1596 posts since 3 Nov, 2015

Post Thu Aug 09, 2018 7:13 pm

This is a quite calm and tranquil piece overall. Acoustic guitar and piano are at forefront with synth textures weaving in and out. A piano improv starts by the 2/3 of the piece. This is basically a jam, there's no title. It just happened. The piano improv was the 2nd take from scratch.

Enjoy peacefully.

Cheers.

https://soundcloud.com/nominal6/jam393

fastlanephil
KVRian
586 posts since 3 Jan, 2016

Re: Nominal6: Jam393 - tranquil, smooth, acoustic guitar, piano, synths

Post Thu Aug 09, 2018 11:05 pm

I basically really like this. I think it could be developed more. The solo piano didn’t seem to add much to it. Maybe less of it. For me, the percussion could use a major over haul or maybe none at all.

Nubm
KVRist
35 posts since 24 Jul, 2018

Post Thu Aug 09, 2018 11:26 pm

[This is just my personal opinion on your song, also english isn't my native language]

About the Mix: The different sounds need some EQing, they resonate with each other and start to sound filthy at times. The deep bassy string overloads the lower frequenzies. It should sound nice and warm but it does not. Its much better later on when it plays along the piano.
Some notes need some quantization, best applied carefully by hand. Its mostly ok, but sometimes the guitar is just totally off. The piano sounds nice and matches the feeling of the overall song very well. The arp like thing with delay that sounds a bit like an organ is pretty annoying at the intro, but works much better in the outro. However, it starts to crackle a bit. The drum sounds do not sit well in the mix imo.

Composition: I did not like the intro at all. The delay timing is odd, the drums made it even worse. They were also too 'looped', means predictable. Some dynamic would be nice to support the song so they just don't sound like a clock to play along to. The breaks are too sudden.
The melodies are easy and smooth. Although there is not much happening its an interessting and promising song. The piano part is quite nice. However, there is nothing really sticking out otherwise.

Overall: The choice of synth sounds and the style all seems to share the same idea and feel, but it needs better mixing to make this idea come alive. This depends on what you are aiming for of course.
Browsing through your other songs, you have a lot of good ideas and a creative approach on different styles. But often the mix is whats holding the songs back. Also most of them do sound like jam sessions, sometimes they outright felt like riding a single theme to death.
I'd say some advancements in composition, progression and mixing could make your work available to a broader audience. You have some really nice stuff there. But the songs almost always sound like fun to play but hard to listen to, unless you are really into this.

mevla
KVRAF

Post Fri Aug 10, 2018 3:01 am

Nubm wrote:[This is just my personal opinion on your song, also english isn't my native language]
Thanks ! This was a very constructive comment ! Much appreciated.

Cheers.

mevla
KVRAF

Post Fri Aug 10, 2018 3:02 am

fastlanephil wrote:I basically really like this. I think it could be developed more. The solo piano didn’t seem to add much to it. Maybe less of it. For me, the percussion could use a major over haul or maybe none at all.
Thanks. Indeed, it is pretty raw. And although it does have some charm as is I find, it can indeed be brought up to a much higher level.

Cheers.

mevla
KVRAF

Post Sun Aug 12, 2018 11:26 am

Nubm wrote:[This is just my personal opinion on your song, also english isn't my native language]
I feel I should expand on the feedback to your constructive critique since you did spend some time to listen to that piece as well as others. First of all: much appreciated !

I must say upfront that this piece only received a minimal mix treatment. It ended up on soundcloud much sooner that it should have been, due to other factors and also because I wanted to simple share the feeling of the piece, not forgetting in doing so that there's work to be done.

Yes, the other pieces went through much more mixing. It does not matter so much, but on the technical side I use Bitwig to create and Harrison Mixbus32C to mix. I've started learning about mixing and getting more serious about music making about 2.5 years ago. Time flies. I followed some mixing lessons, and practiced by mixing created pieces. I reckon I'm still learning although I feel that at least I stepped on the first stair.

Now's the time to take the other step.

Yes, the pieces are fun to play. That's the whole gist of it so far. And to share that fun. They are not much engineered to please a wide audience at all and one must undoubtedly 'pay more attention' to get into them... which is not the case of wide audiences. My goal would be not to loose this aspect but to add a better structure and progression so that at the same time it could reach a bit wider.

To this effect your critique is very good. It crystallizes exactly the point where those 'productions' are standing today.

As you've noted, this is a promising song and I feel that it does have a good ground to be shared, to be liked by listeners (who happen to like a calm and tranquil piece). It was also on opportunity to 'tame' the metronome who takes too often too much place. And this is also a characteristic of other pieces (or jams as I call them before giving them a title) : there's some potential. I see it better when I come back to some pieces months after, by playing them on the kitchen radio or in the car. They are then distanced and I can almost listen to them as if somebody else made them. Not quite, but there's a feeling of distance, and I hear that there are good elements in there. Perhaps even meaningful elements.

So thanks again, and now's the time to go up one step !

Cheers.

Nubm
KVRist
35 posts since 24 Jul, 2018

Post Mon Aug 13, 2018 7:32 am

It might be quite intimidating and a lot of hard work to move up those steps, but its a lot of fun too. And it is most certainly worth it.

Its pretty hard to refine a jam session into a finalized song. A lot of amazing ideas are 'wasted' because of that hard work it takes to wash that gold out of the dirt, so to speak. Often certain parts are stand out because they have a nice feel to it, which is very difficult or even impossible to reproduce. Often most musicians just move on and start something new. And most 'session musicians' do not listen to recorded sessions, unless they are really sticking out (which is quite rare).

Maybe you can come up with some structure at the beginning, before you even hit the record button. Then you can still jam trough and see where it gets you. Combining the best of both worlds. But thats just a suggestion, there are so many approaches. Eventually you will improve your composition skills while keeping your own style and still add something new.

You have a good start, best of luck!

Return to “Music Cafe”