Best Multiple Genre Virtual Synth (Not Just EDM)

VST, AU, AAX, etc. plug-in Virtual Instruments discussion
Drew Lake
KVRist
40 posts since 16 Jul, 2017

Post Sun Aug 12, 2018 1:27 am

Besides Diva you might want to check out Bazille while your there too.

surreal
KVRian
963 posts since 3 Dec, 2006

Re: Best Multiple Genre Virtual Synth (Not Just EDM)

Post Sun Aug 12, 2018 1:53 am

royosho wrote:
surreal wrote:One answer and straight to the point

DIVA!!

Now you can lock this thread and go and make some funky music!! :lol:
Diva's a good example. Imo, it definitely has a good v.a. sound. However could it make dubstep well? I honestly couldn't know for sure, however my guess is probably not. Serum or sylenth could make dubstep easily right? How capable are those at making moog/prophet sounds at the level of Diva? Could a wavetable synth replace a subtractive v.a. synth and take care of two styles of sounds?

[edit] maybe it's too subjective of a question? Is there a modern wavetable synth capable of producing moog and prophet sounds on par with a v.a. synth specifically emulating a moog or prophet. No, right?
Alright Diva and Serum and you will be coverd.... now go go go and make super funky wub wub brzzzt tunes! :tu:

recursive one
KVRAF
3678 posts since 7 Feb, 2013

Post Sun Aug 12, 2018 2:31 am

For one stop solution you may try Parawave Rapid. It's a wavetable synth and it can do that dubstep/EDM stuff really well but it is also capable of warmer, analogue-like stuff. Their sound-designer once posted two similar clips with Moog-ish leads made with Rapid and Diva and I picked Rapid as Diva, lol. The factory presets are mostly EDM related (there is also some cinematic/trailer stuff, though) but if you know how to program synths you can do wide range of different sounds.

This is what it sounds like
EDM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BVA96xVqGeQ

Non-EDM (actually also some sort of EDM but with more mellow, warmer sounds)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=whjno9jaYzQ
I hate incomplete sentences because they ...

Silaris
KVRist
233 posts since 15 Jan, 2003 from USA

Post Sun Aug 12, 2018 8:36 am

royosho wrote:Hi, I've been reading lots of reddit/kvr posts about best all-around modern virtual synths and they're all only EDM related. I'm looking to purchase a good synth to use in multiple genres and was wondering about opinions.
VST synths can be used for any genre, if you wish to create your own sounds, but it seems that the VST developers mostly hire EDM sound designers to create the factory instrument patches, which I always felt was short-sighted.

As a non-EDM guy, with zero interest in sound design, I face a similar dilemma of finding VST instruments that meet my needs. Overall, I prefer VST instruments that provides me with a palette of sounds aligned to my old rompler keyboard workstations and modules.

With that said, the Arturia V Collection 6 is one of my favorite options. I generally use Analog Lab 3, which contains many of the patches from the synths included in the collection, and adjust the sounds as needed. Also, full editing capability is provided if a person owns the underlining synth for a particular patch in Analog Lab 3. The Arturia V Collection 6 has a nice mix of old school synths, pianos, organs, etc. It is a fairly complete package.

The Steinberg HALion 6/HALion Sonic 3 is also fairly genre neutral upon purchase. It is a hybrid instrument and can use samples as well as synthesis. This is probably my go-to instrument most of the time, but not my first choose for school school analog emulation.

Falcon, which is also a hybrid instrument, can be customized to meet the needs of any genre. However, upon purchase, it is highly focused towards EDM. Also, UVI's sampled-based vintage instruments are also EDM-focused and lack the old school retro vibe I desire. However, other opinions will vary and the UVI lineup might meet your needs, either with or without Falcon.

Also, I find good success with many older or more basic synths that do not have an abundance of modulation and effects options, such as G-Force Minimonsta, Steinberg Retrologue 2, LinPlug Alpha 3 (unsure if it can still be purchased), etc. Most of these instruments can be had a reasonable price.

Lastly, although not technically a synth, Native Instruments Kontakt 5 has a wide-range of available sample-based instruments, either directly through Native Instruments or third-parties. Kontakt 5 is awesome, but like Falcon, might require an addition outlay of funds to get the sounds that you want.

EDGEK8D
KVRist
113 posts since 31 Aug, 2013 from Chicagoland, USA

Post Sun Aug 12, 2018 8:49 am

This is a pretty silly argument. The only thing that is genre specific is the person using the synth, their synthesis skills, or the presets they’re using.

Can a Pro-One do Minimoog sounds, or vice versa? Sure, there are some patches that are unique to both. However, many if not most patches, CAN be made to sound nearly identical.

I have a Behringer D and an AS-1. Knockoffs, I know....but pretty damned close. I compare/contrast often. While the settings may be different, if I take some time I can get many one or two oscillator patches extremely close.

Don’t sell yourself short. If I take an external VCO and modulate the v/oct input of the Boog, I could get some Dubstep action going. ESPECIALLY with softsynths....so many options, I wish I hadn’t purchsed 20-some soft-synths, because I don’t use 90% of them.
Logic Pro X : DSI MEK : ShruthiXT: Virus B : JX3P (Kiwi) : Minibrute : OB Matrix 6R : Roland Studio Capture : MOTU Micro Express : Senn HD600

lastmessiah
KVRist
65 posts since 23 Aug, 2017

Post Sun Aug 12, 2018 8:58 am

Just get Ableton or Bitwig and you’ll have everything you need. Much more versatility than a single plug in.

glokraw
KVRAF
6491 posts since 6 Oct, 2004

Post Sun Aug 12, 2018 9:31 am

You'll want two or three products,
Zebra2 with Tantra multi-effects
SampleTank3 with the free or paid Syntronik and Tantra

Best: Zebra2, SampleTank3, the free or paid Syntronik, and Tantra

Why? A synth can't accurately cover all genres,
in a world full of actual music instruments people
expect and want to hear. There are historic emotional
responses to real instrument sounds, and you'll
want to be able to trigger those responses.

Zebra and SampleTank both have excellent
effects, but a multi-effect like Tantra, when well learned,
will give you many alternatives, and a wide range
of presets to use or modify.
You can take even basic waveforms and do wonders.

If you add a DAW like Bitwig/Ableton as just mentioned,
that come with lots of content, you'll have even more coverage.
Bitwig's drag-n-drop effects are simple to use, with great results
quickly at hand.

There is also BlueCat Axiom, or their full suite, which are
far more than just 'guitar stuff', excellent layout, and really
top quality sound and range of effects, spendier than Tantra,
but a bargain for the capabilities, with Destructor and Late Replies
under the hood, and excellent vst hosting and routing capabilities.
Cheers

Zexila
KVRAF
3090 posts since 18 Mar, 2008

Post Sun Aug 12, 2018 9:49 am

I would use Spire for everything mentioned, if you are really sound design enthusiast, than Zebra could fit the bill nicely, but Sylenth could too.
This entire forum is wading through predictions, opinions, barely formed thoughts, drama, and whining. If you don't enjoy that, why are you here? :D ShawnG

EDGEK8D
KVRist
113 posts since 31 Aug, 2013 from Chicagoland, USA

Post Sun Aug 12, 2018 4:02 pm

Thats the key, what I meant to say earlier....is that ANY synth can be a multi-genre synth with the right sound design skills. People did just fine for quite a while Minimoog, Prophet 5, Junos, Jupiter 4, etc. The tools we have today would make the early 80’s electronic musician weep.

If I had to have one....for everything, and could only use one, then I’d probably choose Zebra2 or Synthmaster. They cover VA, FM, and wavetable all very well. Spire is pretty good also, but I like the sound of the other’s better. I likely use Diva more than any softsynth...because its VA is killer. The cross-mod and some of the JP8K osc section can give you some FM tones, though its not traditional FM, and no wavetable.

For example, some people say the Virus is a Trance synth. While many trance artists might use the Virus, it is capable of doing pretty much most things for any genre.
Logic Pro X : DSI MEK : ShruthiXT: Virus B : JX3P (Kiwi) : Minibrute : OB Matrix 6R : Roland Studio Capture : MOTU Micro Express : Senn HD600

Tj Shredder
KVRian
1263 posts since 6 Jan, 2017 from Outer Space

Post Mon Aug 13, 2018 3:48 am

The most diverse and mostly free spectrum of different synthesis methods I came across until now is clearly Reaktor. Close second in terms of potential is Halion...
Halion makes a lot of sense to get into, if you start to make your own sounds... Reaktor has enough to explore even if you don’t, but that would be a waste of its potential...

Zexila
KVRAF

Post Mon Aug 13, 2018 3:52 am

What about MUX than, how he stacks up against Reaktor and HALion?
http://www.mutools.com/mux-product.html
This entire forum is wading through predictions, opinions, barely formed thoughts, drama, and whining. If you don't enjoy that, why are you here? :D ShawnG

Tj Shredder
KVRian

Post Mon Aug 13, 2018 4:07 am

Or Max/MSP? Which is still my favorite of all musical softwares... But it isn’t a plug-in...

chk071
KVRAF
17036 posts since 11 Apr, 2010 from Germany

Post Mon Aug 13, 2018 4:22 am

zerocrossing wrote:If you know what you’re doing, all synths can make sounds for any genre. So, the answer is, “all of them.”
Correct. Thread can be closed now. :P

The only reason people would pick the one or the other synth rather for a specific synth is that some synths rather lend to them. E.g. there's synths whose supersaw just sounds sh***. You probably wouldn't pick those for the specific genres this sound is very prominent in. And, if you ask me, the more popular synths have quite a big sweet spot, thus will sound good for many, many sounds, and therefor also will be very versatile for different musical genres.

Zexila
KVRAF

Post Mon Aug 13, 2018 4:26 am

Tj Shredder wrote:Or Max/MSP? Which is still my favorite of all musical softwares... But it isn’t a plug-in...
You didn't answered me, how well MUX stacks up against them?

Tj Shredder
KVRian

Post Mon Aug 13, 2018 5:30 am

Zexila wrote:
Tj Shredder wrote:Or Max/MSP? Which is still my favorite of all musical softwares... But it isn’t a plug-in...
You didn't answered me, how well MUX stacks up against them?
Well I don’t know MUX, but I can’t imagine that it could compete with Max/MSP which I am using for more than 20 years now on a daily basis...

Return to “Instruments”