what time of day do you usually make music?

Anything about MUSIC but doesn't fit into the forums above.
RELATED
PRODUCTS

i find usually at night. rain is inspiring too imo

Between the afternoon and early hours of the evening.
My solo projects:
Hekkräiser (experimental) | MFG38 (electronic/soundtrack) | The Santtu Pesonen Project (metal/prog)

i have a messed up body clock, so time to me is irrelevant, there are spaces im awake and spaces im not awake.
i does music in the waked up spaces.

After dark usually ...

Not while I'm at work, that's for hitting the forums and researching/shopping for gear :D

Like Vurt, I also don't make music while I'm asleep... though sometimes I dream about making music. Like showing up to a Battle of the Bands type thing to find out that the rest of my band didn't make it and now I have to freestyle rap or play a saxophone (I've never done those things). Or like last night when I was in some kind of synth/percussion/string ensemble and pyrotechnics group, getting ready to do a semi-educational show for busloads of school kids, complaining about last minute stage layout changes and weird code names for our songs on the set list.

Too close to noon in either direction is usually a bad time for music since I can't really concentrate then. Other than that, it doesn't seem to matter. I've woken up at 4 AM and started working on stuff. I've stayed up until 4 AM working on stuff.

foosnark wrote:Not while I'm at work, that's for hitting the forums and researching/shopping for gear :D

Like Vurt, I also don't make music while I'm asleep... though sometimes I dream about making music. Like showing up to a Battle of the Bands type thing to find out that the rest of my band didn't make it and now I have to freestyle rap or play a saxophone (I've never done those things). Or like last night when I was in some kind of synth/percussion/string ensemble and pyrotechnics group, getting ready to do a semi-educational show for busloads of school kids, complaining about last minute stage layout changes and weird code names for our songs on the set list.

Too close to noon in either direction is usually a bad time for music since I can't really concentrate then. Other than that, it doesn't seem to matter. I've woken up at 4 AM and started working on stuff. I've stayed up until 4 AM working on stuff.
I love those long-into-the-early-morning jam / recording sessions!

foosnark wrote: Like Vurt, I also don't make music while I'm asleep...

:o who knew wed have so much in common!

The highest form of knowledge is empathy, for it requires us to suspend our egos and live in another's world. It requires profound, purpose‐larger‐than‐the‐self kind of understanding.

As a mouse from the mouse organ, only when Bagpuss wakes up, and always before he goes to sleep again.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dpwhohWhrEE

For the past 20 years, I'd say about 80% of all my composing (non vocal stuff), occurs from 6-8am before work, and then maybe 6-11am on Saturdays. I cannot do music at night or I'll get tired. It has to be when I am most awake. We're talking 5 albums to final release and maybe 200+ other songs.
Even I was offended by what I was going to put here.
Newest Release, retro EBM, Brute Opposition - Unity of Command, released Sept '22 bandcamp link

I usually wait until it's late enough in the evening that I can't focus on anything and can't get any useful work done.

composing, late at night.
actual recording, by necessity, during the day.
“Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that."
-Martin Luther King Jr.

foosnark wrote:Not while I'm at work, that's for hitting the forums and researching/shopping for gear :D
Same here, also record those horrible sounding ideas with mobile phone recorder for later. :lol:
This entire forum is wading through predictions, opinions, barely formed thoughts, drama, and whining. If you don't enjoy that, why are you here? :D ShawnG

I don't really have any kind of schedule in life. I could get up at the crack of dawn, or earlier and start in right away. I could wait until midnight and then work all night and hopefully sleep late. I could do nothing for days, I may have to back away from a project and gain new perspective.

Early AM before work during the week.
Literally anytime before I fall asleep on weekends.

Growing up and until 5-6 years ago, I was a night owl. Always slept in.

I'm creatively tapped when I come home, so it's early morning or nothing.

Return to “Everything Else (Music related)”