What is it about Sylenth1 ?

VST, AU, AAX, etc. plug-in Virtual Instruments discussion
User avatar
fluffy_little_something
KVRAF
12577 posts since 5 Jun, 2012 from Portugal

Post Sat Dec 08, 2018 3:10 pm

Indeed, people think that their favorite music is better than other types of music, including classical music if necessary. And as long as they don't claim that that's a fact (in other words that everyone has to agree, because facts can't be denied) that's fine.

For instance, I think Ivan Lins is way better than Beethoven or Mozart, but of course I am aware that Western musicologists (many of those are the real snobs and elitists) won't agree. But it doesn't matter to me because they only focus on a few aspects and neglect many others.
So Lins' music is better to me because it checks more boxes on my list of criteria.
Last edited by fluffy_little_something on Sat Dec 08, 2018 3:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
vurt
addled muppet weed
38345 posts since 26 Jan, 2003 from through the looking glass

Re: What is it about Sylenth1 ?

Post Sat Dec 08, 2018 3:13 pm

wagtunes wrote: ↑
Sat Dec 08, 2018 3:06 pm
vurt wrote: ↑
Sat Dec 08, 2018 2:40 pm
might be voodoo.
if someone puts a curse on you "you will forever more like coldplay" and you end up even going to see them live, that's voodoo. it has to be?
no one likes coldplay through choice surely?
I like Coldplay. I also liked The Osmond Brother when they were big in the early 70s.

I also like Bach, Beethoven, Chopin, Stravinsky and Mozart.

I also like Dragonforce, Metallica and Ozzy Osborne solo works.

And yeah, I also like Garth Brooks, John Michael Montgomery and Randy Travis.

Not to mention Yes, Genesis, Kansas, Gentle Giant and Renaissance.

None of this stuff, mind you, do I consider superior in quality to Bob Marley or Linkin Park.

You can actually like one thing and not like another thing and not be so full or yourself like FLS that you insist that the thing you like is of better quality than the thing you don't like.

I can't even imagine what it's like being inside his head.

Thank God I'm not like that.
:(
i pity your poor missus if you make her listen to coldplay :(


:hihi:
im with you, music is a personal thing, we don't necessarily like "good" music, the music we enjoy is often because of the associations with certain songs.
i know for a fact, a lot of the music i enjoy would be considered "bad" music by the majority, even yourself.
lots of it by people who couldn't sing or play, but they had passion.
wesley willis (remember him)
jandek
the shaggs
throbbing gristle
non
need i go on?

ps: the infinite earths question man???? :o :hyper:

goldenanalog
KVRAF
1620 posts since 7 Dec, 2005 from somewhere between analog and digital

Re: What is it about Sylenth1 ?

Post Sat Dec 08, 2018 3:16 pm

vurt wrote: ↑
Sat Dec 08, 2018 2:43 pm
good music?
https://youtu.be/rBNJ52YSKww

hell yes!
One of the neatest songs that I've ever heard in my life - for decades, vurt! Other favorites from those years: Time/Chamber Brothers; I'd Love to change the world/Ten Years After; Time has come today/Chamber Bros -

User avatar
vurt
addled muppet weed
38345 posts since 26 Jan, 2003 from through the looking glass

Re: What is it about Sylenth1 ?

Post Sat Dec 08, 2018 3:21 pm

goldenanalog wrote: ↑
Sat Dec 08, 2018 3:16 pm
vurt wrote: ↑
Sat Dec 08, 2018 2:43 pm
good music?
https://youtu.be/rBNJ52YSKww

hell yes!
One of the neatest songs that I've ever heard in my life -
i have to agree.
there is something about it (theres many versions on youtube, all great in their own ways.) its not amazingly difficult to play, but eddie and kidd funkadelic play like virtuosos, you slide along and after 10 minutes, you could still easily take more!
its swampy and funky at the same time, visions of hot summer street parties.

one of those tracks that i can play any time and it fits my mood. perfection.

User avatar
wagtunes
KVRAF
13918 posts since 8 Oct, 2014

Re: What is it about Sylenth1 ?

Post Sat Dec 08, 2018 3:21 pm

fluffy_little_something wrote: ↑
Sat Dec 08, 2018 3:10 pm
Indeed, people think that their favorite music is better than other types of music, including classical music if necessary. And as long as they don't claim that that's a fact (in other words that everyone has to agree, because facts can't be denied) that's fine.

For instance, I think Ivan Lins is way better than Beethoven or Mozart, but of course I am aware that Western musicologists (many of those are the real snobs and elitists) won't agree. But it doesn't matter to me because they only focus on a few aspects and neglect many others.
So Lins' music is better to me because it checks more boxes on my list of criteria.
It's your use of the word "better" that I find offensive, elitist and snobbish. And that's the problem.

Imagine this exchange between two people.

Joe: What you listening to?

John: The Carpenters

Joe: Ewwww. The Carpenters? They suck. how can you listen to that sissy stuff?

John: I like it.

Joe: Yeah, well I listen to Def Leopard and they're a thousand times better than The Carpenters. Ewww.

In essence, Joe is looking down on John for listening to The Carpenters and making fun of him for listening to that music. Joe is making John feel culturally inferior for listening to The Carpenters.

That's how you come off to me when you say that Music X is better than Music Y. You're looking down on people who like Music Y like your taste is better than theirs.

That you can't see this is sad, but not surprising.

That's how most elitist snobs think.

User avatar
vurt
addled muppet weed
38345 posts since 26 Jan, 2003 from through the looking glass

Re: What is it about Sylenth1 ?

Post Sat Dec 08, 2018 3:22 pm

leppard dammit! :lol:

User avatar
wagtunes
KVRAF
13918 posts since 8 Oct, 2014

Re: What is it about Sylenth1 ?

Post Sat Dec 08, 2018 3:23 pm

vurt wrote: ↑
Sat Dec 08, 2018 3:13 pm
wagtunes wrote: ↑
Sat Dec 08, 2018 3:06 pm
vurt wrote: ↑
Sat Dec 08, 2018 2:40 pm
might be voodoo.
if someone puts a curse on you "you will forever more like coldplay" and you end up even going to see them live, that's voodoo. it has to be?
no one likes coldplay through choice surely?
I like Coldplay. I also liked The Osmond Brother when they were big in the early 70s.

I also like Bach, Beethoven, Chopin, Stravinsky and Mozart.

I also like Dragonforce, Metallica and Ozzy Osborne solo works.

And yeah, I also like Garth Brooks, John Michael Montgomery and Randy Travis.

Not to mention Yes, Genesis, Kansas, Gentle Giant and Renaissance.

None of this stuff, mind you, do I consider superior in quality to Bob Marley or Linkin Park.

You can actually like one thing and not like another thing and not be so full or yourself like FLS that you insist that the thing you like is of better quality than the thing you don't like.

I can't even imagine what it's like being inside his head.

Thank God I'm not like that.
:(
i pity your poor missus if you make her listen to coldplay :(


:hihi:
im with you, music is a personal thing, we don't necessarily like "good" music, the music we enjoy is often because of the associations with certain songs.
i know for a fact, a lot of the music i enjoy would be considered "bad" music by the majority, even yourself.
lots of it by people who couldn't sing or play, but they had passion.
wesley willis (remember him)
jandek
the shaggs
throbbing gristle
non
need i go on?

ps: the infinite earths question man???? :o :hyper:
Infinite Earths? I want to know which one has me as a successful musician so I can switch places with him.

My only beef with this season is Tom Cavanagh's character is probably the least interesting, for me anyway, of all of them so far. Other than that, great season.

User avatar
wagtunes
KVRAF
13918 posts since 8 Oct, 2014

Re: What is it about Sylenth1 ?

Post Sat Dec 08, 2018 3:24 pm

vurt wrote: ↑
Sat Dec 08, 2018 3:22 pm
leppard dammit! :lol:
Leave me alone. I can't spell.

User avatar
vurt
addled muppet weed
38345 posts since 26 Jan, 2003 from through the looking glass

Re: What is it about Sylenth1 ?

Post Sat Dec 08, 2018 3:25 pm

wagtunes wrote: ↑
Sat Dec 08, 2018 3:23 pm


Infinite Earths? I want to know which one has me as a successful musician so I can switch places with him.
even if its the one where the green arrow and supergirl are fascists?

this weeks episode, not the whole, but the end :hyper: earth 90!!!

User avatar
wagtunes
KVRAF
13918 posts since 8 Oct, 2014

Re: What is it about Sylenth1 ?

Post Sat Dec 08, 2018 3:28 pm

vurt wrote: ↑
Sat Dec 08, 2018 3:25 pm
wagtunes wrote: ↑
Sat Dec 08, 2018 3:23 pm


Infinite Earths? I want to know which one has me as a successful musician so I can switch places with him.
even if its the one where the green arrow and supergirl are fascists?

this weeks episode, not the whole, but the end :hyper: earth 90!!!
Yeah, this is gonna be messed up. Really looking forward to it.

As for the fascist Earth, sometimes I wonder how far away we are from that here. LOL.

User avatar
fluffy_little_something
KVRAF
12577 posts since 5 Jun, 2012 from Portugal

Re: What is it about Sylenth1 ?

Post Sat Dec 08, 2018 3:32 pm

wagtunes wrote: ↑
Sat Dec 08, 2018 3:21 pm
fluffy_little_something wrote: ↑
Sat Dec 08, 2018 3:10 pm
Indeed, people think that their favorite music is better than other types of music, including classical music if necessary. And as long as they don't claim that that's a fact (in other words that everyone has to agree, because facts can't be denied) that's fine.

For instance, I think Ivan Lins is way better than Beethoven or Mozart, but of course I am aware that Western musicologists (many of those are the real snobs and elitists) won't agree. But it doesn't matter to me because they only focus on a few aspects and neglect many others.
So Lins' music is better to me because it checks more boxes on my list of criteria.
It's your use of the word "better" that I find offensive, elitist and snobbish. And that's the problem.

Imagine this exchange between two people.

Joe: What you listening to?

John: The Carpenters

Joe: Ewwww. The Carpenters? They suck. how can you listen to that sissy stuff?

John: I like it.

Joe: Yeah, well I listen to Def Leopard and they're a thousand times better than The Carpenters. Ewww.

In essence, Joe is looking down on John for listening to The Carpenters and making fun of him for listening to that music. Joe is making John feel culturally inferior for listening to The Carpenters.

That's how you come off to me when you say that Music X is better than Music Y. You're looking down on people who like Music Y like your taste is better than theirs.

That you can't see this is sad, but not surprising.

That's how most elitist snobs think.
That may be your type of dialog, but not mine.
Telling someone that their favorite music sucks or is sissy stuff is a type of language aimed at hurting or insulting someone. Saying that one finds x better than someone else's favorite band or music is pretty neutral, though.

I have such conversations with my brother occasionally. He knows I can't stand his favorite genre and I know he can't stand mine. We simply say when we don't like a given song. But I never tell him the music he likes and makes is sissy stuff or sucks.

User avatar
wagtunes
KVRAF
13918 posts since 8 Oct, 2014

Re: What is it about Sylenth1 ?

Post Sat Dec 08, 2018 3:54 pm

fluffy_little_something wrote: ↑
Sat Dec 08, 2018 3:32 pm
wagtunes wrote: ↑
Sat Dec 08, 2018 3:21 pm
fluffy_little_something wrote: ↑
Sat Dec 08, 2018 3:10 pm
Indeed, people think that their favorite music is better than other types of music, including classical music if necessary. And as long as they don't claim that that's a fact (in other words that everyone has to agree, because facts can't be denied) that's fine.

For instance, I think Ivan Lins is way better than Beethoven or Mozart, but of course I am aware that Western musicologists (many of those are the real snobs and elitists) won't agree. But it doesn't matter to me because they only focus on a few aspects and neglect many others.
So Lins' music is better to me because it checks more boxes on my list of criteria.
It's your use of the word "better" that I find offensive, elitist and snobbish. And that's the problem.

Imagine this exchange between two people.

Joe: What you listening to?

John: The Carpenters

Joe: Ewwww. The Carpenters? They suck. how can you listen to that sissy stuff?

John: I like it.

Joe: Yeah, well I listen to Def Leopard and they're a thousand times better than The Carpenters. Ewww.

In essence, Joe is looking down on John for listening to The Carpenters and making fun of him for listening to that music. Joe is making John feel culturally inferior for listening to The Carpenters.

That's how you come off to me when you say that Music X is better than Music Y. You're looking down on people who like Music Y like your taste is better than theirs.

That you can't see this is sad, but not surprising.

That's how most elitist snobs think.
That may be your type of dialog, but not mine.
Telling someone that their favorite music sucks or is sissy stuff is a type of language aimed at hurting or insulting someone. Saying that one finds x better than someone else's favorite band or music is pretty neutral, though.

I have such conversations with my brother occasionally. He knows I can't stand his favorite genre and I know he can't stand mine. We simply say when we don't like a given song. But I never tell him the music he likes and makes is sissy stuff or sucks.
It still comes across the same way to me.

You're a snob. That's my opinion and nothing you say is going to change my opinion.

Examigan
KVRAF
4449 posts since 15 Sep, 2005 from East Coast of the USA

Re: What is it about Sylenth1 ?

Post Sat Dec 08, 2018 4:05 pm

I think of Sylenth1 a certain way. There have been new kids on the block since then, but nothing can really replace the original way it hit the market. To me, the big impact that Sylenth1 has made will forever be imitated and talked about.

User avatar
fluffy_little_something
KVRAF
12577 posts since 5 Jun, 2012 from Portugal

Re: What is it about Sylenth1 ?

Post Sat Dec 08, 2018 4:09 pm

wagtunes wrote: ↑
Sat Dec 08, 2018 3:54 pm
It still comes across the same way to me.

You're a snob. That's my opinion and nothing you say is going to change my opinion.
Who cares...

User avatar
fluffy_little_something
KVRAF
12577 posts since 5 Jun, 2012 from Portugal

Re: What is it about Sylenth1 ?

Post Sat Dec 08, 2018 4:20 pm

Examigan wrote: ↑
Sat Dec 08, 2018 4:05 pm
I think of Sylenth1 a certain way. There have been new kids on the block since then, but nothing can really replace the original way it hit the market. To me, the big impact that Sylenth1 has made will forever be imitated and talked about.
I don't even remember that time, that was long before I accidentally discovered that there are plugins in the first place :hihi: And for the first couple of years I didn't even demo S1 for some reason I don't remember.

Return to β€œInstruments”