Getting a super duper clean pop mix with izotope 8?

How to do this, that and the other. Share, learn, teach. How did X do that? How can I sound like Y?
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

I've noticed a lot of people like the really clean sound, what I've noticed is mainly the instruments are quick attack, quick delay and quick release and then the background pads are pretty quiet.

Anyone got any tips on how to do this with guitar and distorted guitar and synths and everything in general? Where do i start. I don't particularly like these songs I'm going to show as an example but they sound really clean. Any tips on how to achieve that sound?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5CPeHQHAQyo

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pRBDnr4IxoE

https://youtu.be/cVxIqlzdx98

https://youtu.be/V9zwkjlp67c

Why would I8 have anything to do with these productions other than maybe standard finalizing? There are hundreds of noise elimination/reduction tools available, however only the ME or producer would know what tools were used to master.

It's not any specific tool here. It's about specific procedures using tools that start back with proper gain stage>tracking/mixing.

What I hear is mostly a minimalist pop structure, gating in lots of places, heavy drum percussion gating, voice processing, voice correction...lots of compression, and perhaps even series compression (just a guess about series since it's so compressed).

Most importantly I hear basic good pop composition, with vocals always up front if not in your face. Knowing what sounds work with each other and how the sounds compliment each other then fit in with the vocals is key.

Often it sounds simple, and it could be, but other times what sounds simple can be complex, however made to sound simple.

As far as how to do this with guitar and distorted guitar/synths, begin experimenting with reverb and gates, or buy samples. My apologizes if that doesn't answer the question or you weren't looking for this reply, but without more specifics about what you are looking for it's hard to say.

Good luck!

No that was very good info thanks. I kinda suck at mixing and mastering just recently got izotope 8 advanced nuetron 2 and ozone 8. Trying to learn as fast as possible.

I'll look into gating techniques , series compression, reverb and gates.

I've always liked noisy music with tons of drama that is going on, but I've noticed people mainly like really clean clear pop music, so hoping to eventually achieve a balance of ambient noise that sounds like pop.

It takes years to get good. Some people learn faster than others. There really is no shortcut other than listening, reading etc. Don't get caught up in your tools. Izotope is just fine, but really learn it. Learn every parameter and push each one all to the limits and listen. Learn what it can and can't achieve with any given audio objectives. Eventually you will know the sound before you begin to turn a control.

Decide if you want your limiter to have a "sound" or be as transparent as possible.

Parallel compression is very popular. Series is not, but with certain content, series can sometimes give excellent results. Knowing every parameter and how to set them up for series is most important.

Noisy music with tons of drama is not what is mostly charting, at least in the USA Top-40, Hot AC and Rhythmic hybrid radio stations. It's like what you have posted. More dry, minimalist, and via the techniques...clean. Styles come and go in cycles, so don't get too caught up in trends. But making lyrics stand out from everything else is almost always important regardless of styles....even something not so "clean" like Coldplay.

It's 4 years old now, but Taylor Swifts Shake It Off is still a good example. Short lyrics, that gel with the groove, clean gaps allowing emphasis for what's next, with a nerdy fun and I think...sampled alto sax.

You'd also be surprised how much saturation there often is in a "clean" sounding mix.

Return to “Production Techniques”