Login / Register 0 items | $0.00 New @ KVR
biodiode
KVRist

368 posts since 23 Sep, 2003, from UK

Postby biodiode; Sun Aug 19, 2018 12:41 pm Solar Analogue

It has been a while since my last post as I have been working on my album, which has now gone off for distribution. This is a little track that didn't make the cut just because it didn't fit the theme - https://soundcloud.com/biodiode/solar-analogue
wagtunes
KVRAF

12934 posts since 8 Oct, 2014

Postby wagtunes; Sun Aug 19, 2018 1:14 pm Re: Solar Analogue

My Feedback

Music - 9
Instruments - 9
Performance - 9
Mix - 10

Overall - 9.25

Comments: Love the construction on this one. Very well thought out and executed. Like the way you incorporated the vocal samples.
biodiode
KVRist

Postby biodiode; Mon Aug 20, 2018 7:30 am Re: Solar Analogue

Thank you very much wagtunes, means a lot. It was one of those tracks that seemed to just click as I was putting the arrangement together.
DJ LFD
KVRist

126 posts since 10 Dec, 2017

Postby DJ LFD; Mon Aug 20, 2018 1:48 pm Re: Solar Analogue

Intro is beautiful, vocals are cool i like how they're muted, leaves you wondering.... nice smooth beat you got going on there after intro, good melody, and pads.

beat that arises is nice, and i like the counter melodies, i imagine you played in a performance rather than MIDI loop-based({perhaps some of it is tho.)

Nice Drop, pads are soothing, could smoke a nice doob and relax to this ;)

if this were american Alternative Pop, you could do well making something like a Coldplay Track with full verse/chorus, would make this track blossom. You're abviously talented, and it shows, GJ.
Aspiring HipHop Producer: https://soundcloud.com/djlfd
biodiode
KVRist

Postby biodiode; Wed Aug 22, 2018 10:35 am Re: Solar Analogue

Thank you DJ LFD, sometimes when structured recording doesn't work I just let the clock run and jam to what I have. It is surprising what ideas you can take and develop from there.
layzer
KVRAF

5445 posts since 11 Jun, 2006

Postby layzer; Wed Aug 22, 2018 10:48 am Re: Solar Analogue

enjoyed as i usually do your stuff. :tu:
HW SYNTHS [KORG T2EX - AKAI AX80 - YAMAHA SY77 - ENSONIQ VFX]
HW MODULES [OBi M1000 - ROLAND MKS-50 - ROLAND JV880 - KURZ 1000PX]
SW [CHARLATAN - OBXD - OXE - ELEKTRO - MICROTERA - M1 - SURGE - RMiV]
DAW [ENERGY XT2/1U RACK WINXP / MAUDIO 1010LT PCI]
biodiode
KVRist

Postby biodiode; Wed Aug 22, 2018 10:52 am Re: Solar Analogue

Thanks man, glad you enjoyed it.
ChamMusic
KVRian

844 posts since 12 Jun, 2006, from Birmingham, UK

Postby ChamMusic; Wed Aug 22, 2018 12:44 pm Re: Solar Analogue

Works very well...thoroughly enjoyed listening.

Superbly judged combination of timbres in there...as always! :0

Great chilled retro-electronica vibe.

Smooth, warm, balanced but still tight production.

Loved the melodic content, but felt that the main lead one just 'meandered' very slightly a couple of times away from what might've been the very best choice of notes...I know, totally subjective and I'm assuming you were playing it live as well!

I would've liked to hear it go further into a contrasting section with new musical elements?

EDIT: Just read your comment that it's sort of 'just a little aside' from your main album project - fair enough.
Mark Taylor
Chameleon Music
fastlanephil
KVRian

579 posts since 3 Jan, 2016

Postby fastlanephil; Wed Aug 22, 2018 5:03 pm Re: Solar Analogue

I agree that it sounds great and all that. Over all it kind of lacked something, at least for me. Maybe a little edge or a stronger melody or more purpose.

It made me think of the technically stellar and great sounding fluff that Jean Michel Jarre pumps out.

Now I’m in trouble! :scared:
biodiode
KVRist

Postby biodiode; Sat Aug 25, 2018 10:49 pm Re: Solar Analogue

Thanks ChamMusic. As you say the choice of notes is subjective. Go down one path and you get the 'it's too predictable' comments, another and it's 'wow man where are you going, you trying to be Messian' :lol:

Thanks Phil. I was heading for the Space, Cosmic, floaty feeling on this track. I shall say nothing about your heathen comment on Mr Jarre :hihi:
htcnext2
KVRist

242 posts since 3 Jul, 2017, from Austria

Postby htcnext2; Mon Aug 27, 2018 8:12 am Re: Solar Analogue

The mix of 80s retro melodies and space themes is quite interesting. Nice track - good work. Greetings HM
sjm
KVRAF

1658 posts since 17 Apr, 2004

Postby sjm; Mon Aug 27, 2018 9:47 am Re: Solar Analogue

At 0:56 you introduce a rhythmic element that, for want of a better explanation, goes "uftashooop". Snare and hats maybe? The FX make it hard to be 100% sure.

At some point, that little rhythmic shuffle really stood out as a static never changing looping thing. I know it doesn't play the whole time, but it started to become the only thing I could hear when it came back at 2:43 because of how repetitious and loud it is. Rest of the track sounded great, I liked it, but I couldn't hear past the stuck record at the end.
Voted KVR's resident drunk Robert Smith impersonator (thanks Frantz!)

Moderators: DrApostropheX, Scoops, KVR Moderators (Main)

Return to Music Cafe