Login / Register 0 items | $0.00 New @ KVR
This forum is sponsored by
T-RackS Group Buy! Up to 5 free mixing and mastering processors!

T-RackS Group Buy - EXTENDED!

Now up to 10 free processors possible.

Mixing and mastering processors, including Lurssen Mastering Console.

Read more at www.ikmultimedia.com
poshook
KVRian

668 posts since 31 Aug, 2004
I still really like some Waves plugins. However 2x oversampling would help to most of them to stay awesome even in current competition. The most I would see this option in API bundle (which I still really like)
MogwaiBoy
KVRAF

2698 posts since 26 Nov, 2015, from Way Downunder
I agree - even their dedicated saturators like Aphex or Vitamin don't oversample.

However... with their recent plugins, Waves seem to be struggling to keep CPU use under control as it is. Oversampling would make some of those newer plugins even less usable.

Still, there are ways around that like realtime/render-only settings.
simon.a.billington
KVRian

1381 posts since 12 Nov, 2014
2x and 4x, that would be a nice option.

I’m sure some of their later plugins are oversampling, but I think it should be standard for any dev to offer a 1x, 2x and 4x as user option.

What I would really like is an intelligent way of telling whether the user is playing, mixing, or bouncing/rendering and automatically set the plugin accordingly or allow us to set the options up in the preferences.
acYm
KVRian

613 posts since 11 Sep, 2015
it does indeed feel quite modern to have adaptive quality settings in some plugins. Waves boast of their strongly forward-compatible and adaptable platform, imo they should flex on that a little more and give the old classics some love.
simon.a.billington
KVRian

Agreed.

I’m hoping a new fix for everything old is on the way, like we have seen in the recent past with a few other plugins.

They need to d something to earn back a bit of faith from the angry mob running around with torches and pitchforks after the lacklustre release of V10. Perhaps something shiny to distract them with?!? Haha!!
Rockatansky
KVRist

213 posts since 3 Jun, 2017
simon.a.billington wrote:I’m sure some of their later plugins are oversampling

Insert a white noise generator before the plugin and a spectrum analyzer after it.
If there's a steep high cut somewhere around or above 18 kHz, it's (probably) oversampling.
That way you won't have to rely on conjecture. :tu:

Quick test...

No downsampling dip:
CLA-2A, CLA-3A, H-Comp, C1, C4, SSL Bus, eMo Q4+D5, AudioTrack, Renaissance Channel+Comp+Axx+Bass, API 2500, V-Comp, PuigChild, Linear Multiband, Linear Phase EQ, L1+L2+L3 in all their various flavors, MaxxVolume, MV2, Vitamin, MaxxBass, both SSL channels, API 550B,

Potential downsampling dip, some could just be high cuts for "character", some ranging down to around 15 kHz:
CLA-76, dbx 160, BSS DPR, Kramer PIE+Tape+HLS, H-EQ, API 550A, Scheps 73, both PuigTec EQs

Renaissance EQ seems to have compensated filters (that don't squash near Nyquist), Q10 doesn't.
V-EQ3/V-EQ4 seem to have a fixed "character high shelf".
Confucamus.
simon.a.billington
KVRian

Rockatansky wrote:
simon.a.billington wrote:I’m sure some of their later plugins are oversampling

Insert a white noise generator before the plugin and a spectrum analyzer after it.
If there's a steep high cut somewhere around or above 18 kHz, it's (probably) oversampling.
That way you won't have to rely on conjecture. :tu:

Quick test...

No downsampling dip:
CLA-2A, CLA-3A, H-Comp, C1, C4, SSL Bus, eMo Q4+D5, AudioTrack, Renaissance Channel+Comp+Axx+Bass, API 2500, V-Comp, PuigChild, Linear Multiband, Linear Phase EQ, L1+L2+L3 in all their various flavors, MaxxVolume, MV2, Vitamin, MaxxBass, both SSL channels, API 550B,

Potential downsampling dip, some could just be high cuts for "character", some ranging down to around 15 kHz:
CLA-76, dbx 160, BSS DPR, Kramer PIE+Tape+HLS, H-EQ, API 550A, Scheps 73, both PuigTec EQs

Renaissance EQ seems to have compensated filters (that don't squash near Nyquist), Q10 doesn't.
V-EQ3/V-EQ4 seem to have a fixed "character high shelf".

Well in all fairness I tend to prefer to work at 96k. So it makes me wonder what happens to plugins running audio at that sample rate.

Also consider that the original units may have filters built into their design as well, or simply and more realistically, they were just built to respond to a specific group or frequencies within four hearing range and the manufactures weren’t interested in making devices that can respond to frequencies we can’t here.

Although, that would be slightly faulty logic on their behalf.
The Noodlist
KVRist

179 posts since 15 Aug, 2017, from UK
GUI resizing, sleek interfaces and oversampling, features often seen in some modern plugins. Especially size, for modern hi-def monitors.

AntiAlias Free VST Audio Filter For Windows, seems to bridge to 64bits.
https://www.kvraudio.com/product/antialias-by-experimentalscene/details

VST Oversampler
Working download link
Hardware emulation list. I don't really need anymore effects, I need to learn how to use those I already have.
pixel85
KVRist

313 posts since 11 Apr, 2008
Why not simply work in higher SR projects instead? Every modern computer can handle it easily. Beside that it's much more efficient than oversampling as plugins doesn't need to do: upsample-processing-downsample (which not only demand more CPU power but also affect latency).
plexuss
KVRAF

2092 posts since 8 Jul, 2009
My feeling about Waves is that they've invested so much in their status quo that now they basically can't catch up. Waves is Yesterday.

I still use their analogue modelled tools but I do so knowing I am not using anything respresentative of current technology. I'd unload them all but now with their WUP+transfer fee it's not worth it. That's fine because when a company plays games like this I cut them out of my purchase decisions.

I will no longer buy Waves products unless they change their ways. :phones:
Grizzellda
KVRist

450 posts since 21 Feb, 2015
plexuss wrote:My feeling about Waves is that they've invested so much in their status quo that now they basically can't catch up. Waves is Yesterday.

Gonna sort of agree & disagree with you, plexuss. Sure, they do have alot of legacy plugs to uphold & maintain, but they have also been talking about a new approach called OrganicReSynthesis, which has appeared in their latest products, Torque & SmackAttack.

There is a nice article about it on their website blog. I think they will release a synth, or some new stuff, utilizing this technology.

I don't think they are stagnant, rather still to be reckoned with. Lately I have been playing with Element 2...on the surface it is a straightforward , pretty simple synth, but man it sounds the dope...a few tweaks here & there and the sounds are just bitch'n. It produces sounds of deep quality, and that takes experience in the whole DSP field.

And experience is corelated to "know-how". And know-how can be gotten by learning from mistakes over time. (experience). :hihi: And they have been around for quite awhile.

So..."nope". Not quite ready to say they are "yesterday" has-been's. Actually, I'm looking forward to new stuff from them!

Moderator: KVR Moderators (Main)

Return to Effects