Login / Register 0 items | $0.00 New @ KVR
iftango
KVRer

29 posts since 14 Sep, 2006, from here and beyond

Postby iftango; Sun Sep 09, 2018 11:11 pm Re: The Hitchhiker's Guide to Waves Update Plan

v1o wrote:I’m happily running V9 and V10 plug-ins. You just have to be careful when using Waves Central.

So if V11 comes out with a new V11 only new plugin I want to purchase will I be able to install it easily alongside my V9 and V10 plugins without having to pay WUP for the V9 and V10 plugins?

If that's the case what's the point of WUP as the plugins themselves don't seem to be ever be updated? Just some installation convenience?
imrae
KVRist

357 posts since 2 Jul, 2010

Postby imrae; Sun Sep 09, 2018 11:18 pm Re: The Hitchhiker's Guide to Waves Update Plan

Thanks for doing analysis, boo to black boxes!
krabbencutter
KVRist

298 posts since 12 Jul, 2013

Postby krabbencutter; Sun Sep 09, 2018 11:54 pm Re: The Hitchhiker's Guide to Waves Update Plan

cclarry wrote:Tick *THAT* box
If you're about to renew WUP for one or more products, make sure to tick the I hereby confirm that I run all products on one machine at a time. checkbox. Don't ask me why, just do it :D

Waves WUP is capped at $225 if you certify that you only use your Waves plugins on
ONE machine at a time. That is what the check
box for this option is for, and that caps your WUP at $225...

Thanks, I've added it to the original post :)
I build stuff for REAKTOR, just in case anyone cares :party:
ATS
KVRAF

5669 posts since 20 Dec, 2002, from MD USA

Postby ATS; Mon Sep 10, 2018 12:56 am Re: The Hitchhiker's Guide to Waves Update Plan

I really wish Fab Filter would use the WUP model instead of what they do now. It would cost me over $200 to upgrade my 3 plugins to version 2. :(
Gamma-UT
KVRAF

4250 posts since 8 Jun, 2009, from UK

Postby Gamma-UT; Mon Sep 10, 2018 2:18 am Re: The Hitchhiker's Guide to Waves Update Plan

ATS wrote:I really wish Fab Filter would use the WUP model instead of what they do now. It would cost me over $200 to upgrade my 3 plugins to version 2. :(

Waves very rarely does a direct upgrade to a plugin. They are generally just compatibility updates, except for the UI changes made to some of the "classics" like Q10. They normally just release a new, separate plugin with the new features, such as C4 to C6 - and even those are rare. The only one I can think of that got an actual feature upgrade was Element.
stacev
KVRist

34 posts since 21 Sep, 2016

Postby stacev; Sun Sep 16, 2018 7:11 am Re: The Hitchhiker's Guide to Waves Update Plan

stacev wrote:Checked SuperTap wup price today and it slightly increased by 10 cents to $10.10.
Maybe because few days passed, so it means while you wait price keeps growing and you are penalized for not buying wup.

Checked again, and Supertap wup price continues growing to 10.20. But other few plugin wup prices stay the same. How it is calculated and why SuperTap is so exceptional among them is a mystery.
krabbencutter
KVRist

298 posts since 12 Jul, 2013

Postby krabbencutter; Sun Sep 16, 2018 8:25 am Re: The Hitchhiker's Guide to Waves Update Plan

stacev wrote:
stacev wrote:Checked SuperTap wup price today and it slightly increased by 10 cents to $10.10.
Maybe because few days passed, so it means while you wait price keeps growing and you are penalized for not buying wup.

Checked again, and Supertap wup price continues growing to 10.20. But other few plugin wup prices stay the same. How it is calculated and why SuperTap is so exceptional among them is a mystery.

The cost to renew WUP for plugins with an expired plan will be higher, compared to plugins of equal MSRP with active coverage. The WUP coverage of your Supertap license already expired last year, that's why it's WUP cost is higher than you estimated. And the longer you wait, the more you'll pay.

Looking at the numbers from whyterabbyt though, it won't probably hurt that much:
whyterabbyt wrote:[...]
IR-1, WUP expired May 12, 2018 $7.80 quoted
Lo-Air Native, expired June 28, 2014 $12.50 quoted
Kramer Master Tape Native, expired June 28, 2014$ 30.70 quoted
Q-Clone native, expired June 28, 2014 $18.20 quoted
SoundShifter, expired June 13, 2015 $14.80 quoted

In his example the coverage for Lo-Air, which has the same MSRP as Supertap, expired 4 years ago. However the cost has only risen to 12,50$ during all that time.
My current guess is, that the "WUP-Penalty" shows the most growth within the first year, after a plan expires. It will continue to grow after that, but much slower. And the longer you wait after that, the slower it will grow.
I build stuff for REAKTOR, just in case anyone cares :party:
Previous

Moderator: KVR Moderators (Main)

Return to Sell & Buy (+Special Offers, Deals & Promos)