Oz Alchemist "Gravity"

Share your music, collaborate, and partake in monthly music contests.
Endor-8o8
KVRian
867 posts since 29 Apr, 2012 from Paris

Post Sun Sep 09, 2018 8:31 am

My humble contribution to the Music Cafe.
Enjoy guys ! :wink:

https://soundcloud.com/ozalchemist/gravity
"It is better to live one day as a lion than a thousand days as a sheep."

wagtunes
KVRAF
13606 posts since 8 Oct, 2014

Re: Oz Alchemist "Gravity"

Post Sun Sep 09, 2018 8:38 am

My Feedback

Music - 7.5
Instruments - 7
Performance - 7.5
Mix - 7

Overall - 7.25

Comments: The atmospheric part of this is excellent. The kick doesn't fit at all. It's too muddy and loud. Some of the FX sounds are very harsh in the upper end. Piece doesn't really fit anywhere for me. The kick eliminates it from possible soundtrack material. The lack of melody line eliminates it from song material. I do love the atmospheric stuff going on in this thing. It's really cool. But the kick ruins it for me totally. It almost sounds distorted it's so bad.

andrew71
KVRist
451 posts since 16 Jun, 2003

Post Sun Sep 09, 2018 8:48 am

I really enjoyed it. Listening on headphones I'd have to disagree with Wags (sorry Wags, big hug!) about the kick. It doesn't sound distorted to me at all. I like the distorted vocal processing too.

What synths did you use on this?

Endor-8o8
KVRian

Post Sun Sep 09, 2018 9:03 am

Thanks guys !

@wagtunes Thanks for the detailed opinion man and sorry that it doesn't move you more than that. Maybe I've put my will to have a really fat heartbeat kick too far for your taste ! :wink:

@andrew71 I used Tal 101 for the bassline, Hive and Uno LX for the pads, Hive for the chiptunish arp, and the big moaning synth is made with Podolski.

experimental.crow
KVRAF
5542 posts since 9 Mar, 2003 from The Druid Hills

Post Sun Sep 09, 2018 1:07 pm

the mix sizzles too much for me , and i got ear fatigue quite early* ...
over- compressed , i'd say , and in need of a high end roll off ...
along those lines , the vocal snippet is really fighting for room to breathe ...
you need to carve out some space for it ...

it's a well composed , interesting track that requires a bit of tweaking ...
good work ...

* that's down to me , and it would not surprise me to hear others differ from my opinion ...

Endor-8o8
KVRian

Post Sun Sep 09, 2018 2:10 pm

Thanks man ! Appreciate the feedback. Maybe I'll give another look in my sessions to see if there's room for some tweakings here and there...

ChamMusic
KVRian
893 posts since 12 Jun, 2006

Post Sun Sep 09, 2018 2:36 pm

Loved the track...exciting, epic, atmospheric!

Mix needs a few tweaks for me...

Kick's a tiny bit too dominant?

Vocal sample in the central section is 'lost' at the moment...shame as it works well musically!

Overall it possibly sounds a little bit unbalanced in terms of frequency content...

A little overdone and slightly edgy at the top end?
Slightly hollow and lacking in the mids at times?

sjm
KVRAF
1729 posts since 17 Apr, 2004

Post Sun Sep 09, 2018 3:16 pm

+1 on too much high frequency in some of the sounds. Particularly the intro suffers in this respect. Once the other parts start to come in, it's less piercing. There's essentially a couple of parts that are lacking body, and the FX is contributing to them sounding tinny as well.

But I think the actual issue is that the mix - once we hear the main song - is claustrophobic. The voice, the bass, the pad and the arps are all in the same space. The atmospherics are better in terms of separation. It's just that part of the way you achieved this seems to have been by boosting the highs. You've also use stereo separation better on the atmospherics.

I don't have an issue with the kick. My issue down there would be that it's quite muddy. You need to give the vocals more room. Also clean up that 150-300 Hz or so area, and take a look at what's going on in the mid up to about 1K as well. There are various things stepping on each others' toes, and if you clear out that mush, you probably won't need to have the high frequency boost you've applied to certain elements to make them audible the way you have now. Once you create a bit of space, there should be room to let those elements poke out an octave or so lower, and you can remove that harshness.

At least some of the points have been mentioned by others (maybe in slightly different contexts), so I'd definitely take a look at the mix. Tame the twinkly percussive parts, clean up/tame the FX, and take out some of the competing frequencies in the mids.

I very much liked the tune itself. There's not much wrong IMO with the arrangement and vibe. It's the mix that is letting you down. In short I'd say it's too dense, and that has led you down the wrong path with some of your other choices.
Voted KVR's resident drunk Robert Smith impersonator (thanks Frantz!)

Endor-8o8
KVRian

Post Sun Sep 09, 2018 11:23 pm

Thank you guys for all the detailed and useful criticism ! :)
I'm always happy to have fresh pair of ears to give some serious feedback. I'll definitely make some corrections.

Allomerus
KVRAF
2067 posts since 28 Aug, 2012 from Melbourne, Australia

Post Fri Sep 14, 2018 10:35 pm

I think Sjm hit the nail on the head about whats good and what could be improved.
Lots of promise here...
:)
Allomerus.com
Bandcamp
Music with progressive intent.

biodiode
KVRist
401 posts since 23 Sep, 2003 from UK

Post Fri Sep 14, 2018 11:25 pm

This track certainly has promise and I could see it fitting into one of those X3 games by Egosoft. I do agree that there the high frequencies need a bit of TLC and you could do with a bit of panning on some instruments.

layzer
KVRAF
5639 posts since 11 Jun, 2006

Post Sun Sep 16, 2018 12:54 am

my main quib is the 2khz-3kkhz frequencies are hitting hard with the snare.
i also dont hear much HF content over 5khz

reverb sounds overcooked even by my standards!

the song itself is interesting so props on that :tu:
HW SYNTHS [KORG T2EX - AKAI AX80 - YAMAHA SY77 - ENSONIQ VFX]
HW MODULES [OBi M1000 - ROLAND MKS-50 - ROLAND JV880 - KURZ 1000PX]
SW [CHARLATAN - OBXD - OXE - ELEKTRO - MICROTERA - M1 - SURGE - RMiV]
DAW [ENERGY XT2/1U RACK WINXP / MAUDIO 1010LT PCI]

seismic1
KVRAF
9040 posts since 13 Mar, 2009 from UK

Post Mon Sep 17, 2018 4:50 pm

I enjoyed it. I thought the kick was fine. The highs sounded ok on my monitors, but were a little more pronounced on the phones. I didn't find them uncomfortable in either case. I liked the vocals and the processing on them. The atmospherics were good and many of the elements reminded me of some of William Orbit's pop productions from the turn of the century, but with a darker vibe.

Good work :)

Return to “Music Cafe”