Presonus Reveal Their New Drum Machine Controller - The ATOM

Plug-in hosts and other software applications discussion
THE INTRANCER
KVRian
607 posts since 30 Dec, 2014

Post Tue Sep 11, 2018 5:05 pm

kevvvvv wrote:Sweetwater have a sale $149 USD

https://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail ... controller

Pretty reasonable.

My suspicion is that they'll soon be a keyboard to follow.

Presonus's big problem is that Studio One doesn't support Native Instruments new S-range keyboards or controllers.

Their specs clash.

So Atom looks like Presonus's attempt to out maneuver NI by introducing their own controller.

If this is the Big Plan, and Atom sells in enough quantity, then it makes sense to follow up with a keyboard range.
Strangely..Presonus did have a keyboard years ago.. but it was a pretty low budget and basic affair.. If Presonus are going to make anything keyboard wise, in the future... it is going to need to up it's game in providing at least semi-weighted keys and a solid construction to compete with NI in this area. If they do a keyboard controller, I think some sort of display is gonna be a must though... Every keyboard in the past 20 years I've ever bought has had one...cause well I like displays :D
Last edited by THE INTRANCER on Tue Sep 11, 2018 6:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.
THE INTRANCER-Digital 2D & 3D GUI / Music Artist - Orchestral Trance - Ambient - Film Scores | Soundcloud 27 | Soundclick 16 | Producing Music For 25+Years & Sound Monitoring FOH at UK Stadium/Festivals for Carl Cox, FatBoy Slim ect

User avatar
Orbit-50
KVRAF
2135 posts since 29 Jun, 2005 from La La Land

Re: Presonus Reveal Their New Drum Machine Controller - The ATOM

Post Tue Sep 11, 2018 6:10 pm

THE INTRANCER wrote:What do you think... given the market of drum / controllers... already out there...
My first impression was like, "God, do we need another drum pad controller?" I will admit it's cute, but $149? And I'm not cheap by any stretch of the imagination, and on top of that, I love Presonus with all my heart, but I don't really think I would pay $149.00 for that in the year 2018. 2009? Maybe.
_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/
Alienware i7 R3 loaded with billions of DAWS and plugins.

patchhunter
KVRist
194 posts since 13 Jun, 2007

Re: Presonus Reveal Their New Drum Machine Controller - The ATOM

Post Tue Sep 11, 2018 8:46 pm

Seriously, $149 is cheap. The only thing that I think is going to keep me from getting it is that it can't function wirelessly.

learnkeys
KVRist
83 posts since 25 Jul, 2018

Re: Presonus Reveal Their New Drum Machine Controller - The ATOM

Post Tue Sep 11, 2018 11:23 pm

patchhunter wrote:Seriously, $149 is cheap. The only thing that I think is going to keep me from getting it is that it can't function wirelessly.
Almost everyone already owns a midi keyboard controller that comes with 8 drum pads, which are priced around the $149-$200 range. If you have a bad habit of buying things you really don't need just to satisfy your G.A.S., then it really doesn't matter how much it costs. Seems like a waste of desk space that people are already limited by. I'm guessing a sale price of $129 by XMAS time.

SLiC
KVRAF
2842 posts since 2 Dec, 2004 from North Wales

Re: Presonus Reveal Their New Drum Machine Controller - The ATOM

Post Tue Sep 11, 2018 11:31 pm

Cheap intro to S1 4 as it comes with a lite version, 150 USD before discount….probably 120 street...ideal starting point for someone just getting in to it, but Maschine Micro 3 offers serious competition for $199 USD...(Presonus probably didn't know that at the time!)

I am a S1 4 user but if someone was a newbie with 'beats' (rather than keyboard) as a primary interest I would probably advise the Micro 3....

Also, who puts up, down, left, right in a column! could it bae that hard to put it in the normal Dimond shape or at last left/right on a row.....
Current Gear: i7 Win 10 + Surface, BWS, StudioOne 4, X32 Desk. Rubicon R8s, DM12, P8, Virus TI, System 1m, Korg ARP, P6, Eurorack, Elektron A4, RYTM, OT, MPC Live, OP-1, Mother 32, Dominion Club, Roland TD8 and HPD-20, Guitars, Basses and Amps

learnkeys
KVRist
83 posts since 25 Jul, 2018

Re: Presonus Reveal Their New Drum Machine Controller - The ATOM

Post Tue Sep 11, 2018 11:39 pm

SLiC wrote:Cheap intro to S1 4 as it comes with a lite version, 150 USD before discount….probably 120 street...ideal starting point for someone just getting in to it, but Maschine Micro 3 offers serious competition for $199 USD...(Presonus probably didn't know that at the time!)

I am a S1 4 user but if someone was a newbie with 'beats' (rather than keyboard) as a primary interest I would probably advise the Micro 3....

Also, who puts up, down, left, right in a column! could it bae that hard to put it in the normal Dimond shape or at last left/right on a row.....
I would guess that most people interested in this device are probably S1 Pro owners looking for a companion for Impact XT.

Topcheese
KVRist
119 posts since 12 Nov, 2017

Re: Presonus Reveal Their New Drum Machine Controller - The ATOM

Post Wed Sep 12, 2018 12:48 pm

SLiC wrote: Also, who puts up, down, left, right in a column! could it bae that hard to put it in the normal Dimond shape or at last left/right on a row.....
I thought the same thing, and was like are you kidding me? It's going to be a blast navigating that thing. I got my Alesis VX49 for $150 on sale, so there's no way this thing is worth $150. lol

fedexnman
KVRAF
2369 posts since 4 Jan, 2005

Re: Presonus Reveal Their New Drum Machine Controller - The ATOM

Post Sun Sep 16, 2018 4:22 am

Edited changed my opinion ..... Presonus Atom - $149 ......... Loops , Samples , midi pad controller , StudioOne4.1 Artist ...... Go to My Presonus Marketplace .... VST/AU/Rewire add-on $89 , MP3 export add-on $9 and you looking at $247 ...... Or just get the Professional upgrade for $150 that'll put you at $299 ...... I think they are competing mainly with Native Instruments Maschine line of controller/software , I might actually purchase this .
Last edited by fedexnman on Sat Sep 22, 2018 6:10 am, edited 7 times in total.

User avatar
Robert Randolph
KVRAF
2163 posts since 25 May, 2003 from Saint Petersburg, Florida

Re: Presonus Reveal Their New Drum Machine Controller - The ATOM

Post Sun Sep 16, 2018 6:08 pm

learnkeys wrote:
SLiC wrote:Cheap intro to S1 4 as it comes with a lite version, 150 USD before discount….probably 120 street...ideal starting point for someone just getting in to it, but Maschine Micro 3 offers serious competition for $199 USD...(Presonus probably didn't know that at the time!)

I am a S1 4 user but if someone was a newbie with 'beats' (rather than keyboard) as a primary interest I would probably advise the Micro 3....

Also, who puts up, down, left, right in a column! could it bae that hard to put it in the normal Dimond shape or at last left/right on a row.....
I would guess that most people interested in this device are probably S1 Pro owners looking for a companion for Impact XT.
Why would Pro users want a decidedly entry-level device?
http://admiralbumblebee.com/
Audio Software Reviews, Woodworking, Programming and more... new posts every weekend!

learnkeys
KVRist
83 posts since 25 Jul, 2018

Re: Presonus Reveal Their New Drum Machine Controller - The ATOM

Post Sun Sep 16, 2018 8:13 pm

Robert Randolph wrote:
learnkeys wrote:
SLiC wrote:Cheap intro to S1 4 as it comes with a lite version, 150 USD before discount….probably 120 street...ideal starting point for someone just getting in to it, but Maschine Micro 3 offers serious competition for $199 USD...(Presonus probably didn't know that at the time!)

I am a S1 4 user but if someone was a newbie with 'beats' (rather than keyboard) as a primary interest I would probably advise the Micro 3....

Also, who puts up, down, left, right in a column! could it bae that hard to put it in the normal Dimond shape or at last left/right on a row.....
I would guess that most people interested in this device are probably S1 Pro owners looking for a companion for Impact XT.
Why would Pro users want a decidedly entry-level device?
I wasn't aware of any entry level midi controllers, just ones with different features or price points. Since there is only one version of this controller, it doesn't really fit that criteria. It appears to be a fully functional midi controller that would be useful to any level of expertise. Professionals have the skills to use any midi controller and they do, even cheap mini key varieties. Whatever gets the job done.

This would be more useful to people that are already familiar with Impact XT and find it an improvement to their work flow. Beginners haven't even learned S1's work flow to even know, especially at the $149 price point.

They would be better off spending their money on a midi keyboard controller with drum pads that comes with a strip down version of a DAW. And they can do it for $99 or less, which would be more likely to happen.

Return to “Hosts & Applications (Sequencers, DAWs, Audio Editors, etc.)”