Lamentation - 4 Part Chorale (SATB)

Share your music, collaborate, and partake in monthly music contests.
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

vurt wrote:needs more cowbell!
indeed!!!! :lol: :lol:

and more 909 kick and a moogy bassline! HAHA

not a big listener of minimal choral stuff, but i can appreciate
the big, well produced sound of it. :clap:
HW SYNTHS [KORG T2EX - AKAI AX80 - YAMAHA SY77 - ENSONIQ VFX]
HW MODULES [OBi M1000 - ROLAND MKS-50 - ROLAND JV880 - KURZ 1000PX]
SW [CHARLATAN - OBXD - OXE - ELEKTRO - MICROTERA - M1 - SURGE - RMiV]
DAW [ENERGY XT2/1U RACK WINXP / MAUDIO 1010LT PCI]

Of course it's well written. I don't find this choir particularly convincing above its competitors, however.

Sorry, I get self-conscious trying to describe a piece of music or talk about it and do not consider myself good at it.

jancivil wrote:Of course it's well written.
Thank you..that is very much appreciated.
jancivil wrote:I don't find this choir particularly convincing above its competitors, however.
I'm probably in agreement with that...it's a higher end VST choir, but not out on its own at all. One thing you can do once you've plotted out the words is play it all in real time quite convincingly with the mod wheel and key switches.

It's pretty good, but I'm not convinced that it's really even close to good enough for this 'naked' SATB style piece...nor is anything else though for that matter. The problem I have is I've sung in / listened to so many choirs that I'm not necessarily a good judge of what is convincing to less experienced ears! I think it has a pleasant 'choir-esque' sound but would never convince me that it was the real thing.

I'm using it at the moment in a mix with hybrid electronica and orchestral instruments and it actually fairs much better there.
jancivil wrote:Sorry, I get self-conscious trying to describe a piece of music or talk about it and do not consider myself good at it.
Fair enough, but never worry about offending me with comments about my music...I'm not precious about it and I'm seriously happy for people to be honest about it positive or negative.
Last edited by ChamMusic on Sat Sep 15, 2018 11:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.

layzer wrote:
vurt wrote:needs more cowbell!
indeed!!!! :lol: :lol:

and more 909 kick and a moogy bassline! HAHA

not a big listener of minimal choral stuff, but i can appreciate
the big, well produced sound of it. :clap:

Ha! Thank you for taking the time to listen..I know this one is not going to be to that many people's taste! :0)

Sounds good as it is, of course it does work. Concerning realism -> probably I'm the wrong one to ask, as it's not something always important to me, if the composition is right.
Symphony Nr.1
Meet the Cities Repair Team Unimportant laughter
music has become meaningless...we just keep doing it

It sounded very realistic! Good writing and an expressive choir library that worked well for the style.

I have the Soundiron Olympus Elements which I bought on sale.

I have had some limited experience singing in a local community choir. We were practicing at the beautiful Nordstrom Hall above Hood Canal near Union. Unfortunately, there usually were as many people on stage as in the audience in town for a performance as this is more of a country/bluegrass county. I’m thinking of rejoining the Anna’s Bay choir which is kind of a shadow of it’s former self but less demanding. The original choir was invited to and did perform Handel’s full Missiah at the Kennedy Center. I had dropped out previuously because the whole thing was becoming too demanding. As you know, choir singing can be taxing. We had a very ambitious choir director.

ChamMusic wrote:
It's pretty good, but I'm not convinced that it's really even close to good enough for this 'naked' SATB style piece...nor is anything else though for that matter.
Vocaloid..surely?

First...
Choir and cowbell, just do it! :hihi:
The piece itself is awesome. Amazing what you can do with computers, software and a keyboard. My first recording setup was a 4 track tape machine and I was rapt with it! :D
The way you get the voices to sound natural is fabulous. The harmony and floating melodies are sublime!
Well done!
:)
Bandcamp
Music with progressive intent.

thomekk wrote:Sounds good as it is, of course it does work. Concerning realism -> probably I'm the wrong one to ask, as it's not something always important to me, if the composition is right.
Thanks for having a listen!

I know what you mean about realism...I don't search for it at all most of the time, but if a client is paying and asks for it...you have to consider it very carefully!

donkey tugger wrote:
ChamMusic wrote:
It's pretty good, but I'm not convinced that it's really even close to good enough for this 'naked' SATB style piece...nor is anything else though for that matter.
Vocaloid..surely?
Now there's a serious idea....

Vocaloid 4 part choir + cowbell + 909 kick + moog bass! :0)

Allomerus wrote:First...
Choir and cowbell, just do it! :hihi:
The piece itself is awesome. Amazing what you can do with computers, software and a keyboard. My first recording setup was a 4 track tape machine and I was rapt with it! :D
The way you get the voices to sound natural is fabulous. The harmony and floating melodies are sublime!
Well done!
:)
Thank you very much John.

I also started with a 4 track tape machine...Tascam Porta 2! Yes, and I loved it as well!

fastlanephil wrote:It sounded very realistic! Good writing and an expressive choir library that worked well for the style.

I have the Soundiron Olympus Elements which I bought on sale.

I have had some limited experience singing in a local community choir. We were practicing at the beautiful Nordstrom Hall above Hood Canal near Union. Unfortunately, there usually were as many people on stage as in the audience in town for a performance as this is more of a country/bluegrass county. I’m thinking of rejoining the Anna’s Bay choir which is kind of a shadow of it’s former self but less demanding. The original choir was invited to and did perform Handel’s full Missiah at the Kennedy Center. I had dropped out previuously because the whole thing was becoming too demanding. As you know, choir singing can be taxing. We had a very ambitious choir director.
Thank you very much for the listen and comments.

Soundiron OE..yes I have that one as well! :0)

I find with choir libraries that they all have strengths and weaknesses and can often work well layered together. This is the only one I own that I would dare to expose like this and even then it was tricky to get to a level where I was reasonably happy with it.

I've always loved singing in choirs / playing in orchestras, but, as you say, it's hard work and also needs regular commitment so that you didn't let others down...nothing worse than those members who don't attendregularly!

I still run one very occasionally at the school where I teach music part-time so I get to singalong during rehearsals!

ChamMusic wrote:
donkey tugger wrote:
ChamMusic wrote:
Vocaloid..surely?

Call it 'Future Dub Trap' or some other such bollocks, and the kids will love it.

donkey tugger wrote:
ChamMusic wrote:
donkey tugger wrote:
ChamMusic wrote:
Vocaloid..surely?

Call it 'Future Dub Trap' or some other such bollocks, and the kids will love it.
Ha!

Maybe...

ShitStep?

Drum & Choir?

The ridiculous fads teenagers have is soooo sad sometimes...

A couple of years ago, loads of the kids I teach loved my new pair of shoes...to this day, I'm not quite sure why, but they did! Finally after much coaxing I finally revealed that I'd bought them from Marks and Spencers mainstream, totally uncool department store...

Instant, universal reaction...

"Sir, those are shit shoes...they're rubbish man!"

I got my own back though...

Managed to convince a whole bunch of, apparently, streetwise teenagers that POODLE was the new cool word for something that was really good! They went round using it for days before the penny finally dropped! :0)

ChamMusic wrote:
jancivil wrote:I don't find this choir particularly convincing above its competitors, however.
I'm probably in agreement with that...
It's pretty good, but I'm not convinced that it's really even close to good enough for this 'naked' SATB style piece...nor is anything else though for that matter. The problem I have is I've sung in / listened to so many choirs that I'm not necessarily a good judge of what is convincing to less experienced ears! I think it has a pleasant 'choir-esque' sound but would never convince me that it was the real thing.
I wouldn't expect anything for 'naked' 4 parts to be. It's going to work with a lot of room with a lot of 'masking' going on; large choir epic with orch etc.

In a rather unfortunate thread in 'Samples...' here, the developer of Fluffy tried to gaslight me like he knew some shit I didn't know - he does not - regarding the matter of... not into re-rehearsing the stupid exchange, but, well ambience in the recording process is something he tried deception/avoidance of in his defense of something I had no dog in the race regarding - ironically as I hear this, I have to say - hence I'm so not a fan. Other than that I have zero awareness of his libraries.

I have not sung in choirs *ever* so my opinion is not colored at all by experience, but this works as 'choir-like' and not more for me. IE: it's pretty good, considering. :)
(I come from a time where we coveted the Mellotron choir like you wouldn't believe)

Return to “Music Cafe”