Login / Register 0 items | $0.00 New @ KVR
chk071
KVRAF

16799 posts since 10 Apr, 2010, from Germany
pdxindy wrote:
Mushy Mushy wrote:
pdxindy wrote:Icarus

Thanks, I'll keep it in mind if Lush101 doesn't come through for me.

Icarus has 2 filters... each can be set to any of dozens of filter types. Those types include IEA, AOU, IEAOU...

Lush vowel filter sounds more like the specific vowels, however the Icarus vowel filters are decent and of course since it is a wavetable synth you have much more osc flexibility... you can resynthesize audio into wavetables. You can use straight samples too. The wavetables also have the morph parameter which includes formant and vocoder options. So you can do all sorts of vocal sounds even before getting to the vowel filters.

Recently demo'd Icarus again, and... it's simply a great synth. Might pick it up on the next sale. Very fun to play around with. And, for a Tone2 synth, it's even pretty straight forward, with a classic workflow, and approach, which is quite rare on their synths. ;)
chk071
KVRAF

Some more vowel filters with selectable vowels: Audiothing The Orb or The Orb CM (pretty limited compared to the full version though...), and Tone2 Wamverb/Multi FX and BiFilter 2.

None of those beat the one in LuSH-101 though. :(
Mushy Mushy
KVRAF

9743 posts since 6 Sep, 2008
chk071 wrote:Some more vowel filters with selectable vowels: Audiothing The Orb or The Orb CM (pretty limited compared to the full version though...), and Tone2 Wamverb/Multi FX and BiFilter 2.

Thanks. I already have Orb and love it. However, as I said above, I'd like the features to exist in a synth so that the patch is self contained.
"I was wondering if you'd like to try Magic Mushrooms"
"Oooh I dont know. Sounds a bit scary"
"It's not scary. You just lose a sense of who you are and all that sh!t"
chk071
KVRAF

Ah... nevermind then. :)
Mushy Mushy
KVRAF

chk071 wrote:Ah... nevermind then. :)

8)
pdxindy
KVRAF

13703 posts since 2 Feb, 2005, from in the wilds
Mushy Mushy wrote:Thanks guys but to reiterate I need the synth to specify the actual vowel letters. I already have many vowel/formant synths including my beloved Serum but I want to be able to specifically select A for example.

aMUSEd understands as do a few others. Just downloaded Razor now. Phoneme also looks good but a bit too good if that’s possible. I want it to sound robotic and not overly realistic.

Keep ‘em coming though.

Just for selecting specific vowels, I like the sound of Lush better than most. Lots of vowel filters sound a bit mushy (pardon the pun). Lush sounds pretty good in that regard.

Phonem can sound quite realistic. Phonem has a pitch track. Subtle pitch variation on each phoneme gives it a more realistic character. Turn off the pitch track and offset the formants a bit and it can sound more robotic.

Phonem is not so easy and fast as just selecting the vowel sounds as in Lush. However, I actually find it easier in that it tends to sound good across the keyboard range and is precise to tweak... whereas with vowel filters I end up liking how it sounds on a few notes, but other notes are not what I want, especially on low keys.

The other thing with Phonem, there is control over how each vowel blends with the next and you have many different phonemes to choose from including multiple variations of AA or EE etc. Plus if you want to, you can go in and edit the frequency and gain of individual peaks in each phoneme.

It may not be what you are looking for in this instance, but it is quite unique and lovely sounding. Here is a quick example I just made with minimal tweaking.

https://dandelionaudio.com/sound/Phonem3.mp3
ThePresent
KVRist

404 posts since 17 Dec, 2013, from The Netherlands
If you have uhe Bazille in your DAW, you can make it happen with that synth. It has 4 filters which can be used parallel and/or in series and really flexible modulation possibilities
SciFiArtMan
KVRian

1015 posts since 24 May, 2006, from Our Amazing Oasis in Space - USA Section
Five or six years ago I stumbled across a little freeware synth plugin that had a small joystick controller circle at the top of the GUI that had 6-8 points around the circle, each with its own formant sound. The synth sound was very simple and I never could get a good sound to use with this interesting fomant ring idea, which worked pretty well. I couldn't figure out how to use the ring in a live performance situation, but you could apply the formant changes in a second pass recording, controlling the ring changes with a mouse. How cool this effect would be connected to a good sampler or rompler! (maybe the dev could be convinced to further develop the idea, or allow someone else to give it a try?)

If anyone has any idea what plugin this was, I'd love to play with it again!
tonedef71
KVRian

873 posts since 20 Sep, 2007, from USA
SciFiArtMan wrote:Five or six years ago I stumbled across a little freeware synth plugin that had a small joystick controller circle at the top of the GUI that had 6-8 points around the circle, each with its own formant sound. The synth sound was very simple and I never could get a good sound to use with this interesting fomant ring idea, which worked pretty well. I couldn't figure out how to use the ring in a live performance situation, but you could apply the formant changes in a second pass recording, controlling the ring changes with a mouse. How cool this effect would be connected to a good sampler or rompler! (maybe the dev could be convinced to further develop the idea, or allow someone else to give it a try?)

If anyone has any idea what plugin this was, I'd love to play with it again!

It sounds a little like the Aquest Vocalizer plugin. Aquest also put out a synth called AquesTone, but I have no experience with it.
[Intel Core i7 820QM | 32GB DDR3 | Waveform 8; Studio One 4 Pro; FL Studio 20; RapidComposer; Sundog Song Studio; Pizzicato | FL Studio ASIO (WASAPI) | Win10 x64]
Dasheesh
KVRAF

2640 posts since 22 Nov, 2012
Mushy Mushy
KVRAF

Mushy Mushy wrote:Thanks. I already have Orb and love it. However, as I said above, I'd like the features to exist in a synth so that the patch is self contained.

;)
chk071
KVRAF

Mushy Mushy wrote:
chk071 wrote:Some more vowel filters with selectable vowels: Audiothing The Orb or The Orb CM (pretty limited compared to the full version though...), and Tone2 Wamverb/Multi FX and BiFilter 2.

Thanks. I already have Orb and love it. However, as I said above, I'd like the features to exist in a synth so that the patch is self contained.
Mushy Mushy
KVRAF

chk071 wrote:

Mushy Mushy wrote:

:D
Mushy Mushy
KVRAF

pdxindy wrote:
Mushy Mushy wrote:Thanks guys but to reiterate I need the synth to specify the actual vowel letters. I already have many vowel/formant synths including my beloved Serum but I want to be able to specifically select A for example.

aMUSEd understands as do a few others. Just downloaded Razor now. Phoneme also looks good but a bit too good if that’s possible. I want it to sound robotic and not overly realistic.

Keep ‘em coming though.

Just for selecting specific vowels, I like the sound of Lush better than most. Lots of vowel filters sound a bit mushy (pardon the pun). Lush sounds pretty good in that regard.

Phonem can sound quite realistic. Phonem has a pitch track. Subtle pitch variation on each phoneme gives it a more realistic character. Turn off the pitch track and offset the formants a bit and it can sound more robotic.

Phonem is not so easy and fast as just selecting the vowel sounds as in Lush. However, I actually find it easier in that it tends to sound good across the keyboard range and is precise to tweak... whereas with vowel filters I end up liking how it sounds on a few notes, but other notes are not what I want, especially on low keys.

The other thing with Phonem, there is control over how each vowel blends with the next and you have many different phonemes to choose from including multiple variations of AA or EE etc. Plus if you want to, you can go in and edit the frequency and gain of individual peaks in each phoneme.

It may not be what you are looking for in this instance, but it is quite unique and lovely sounding. Here is a quick example I just made with minimal tweaking.

https://dandelionaudio.com/sound/Phonem3.mp3

This sounds fantastic. I bought LuSH101 over the weekend so if that doesn't pay off then Phonem it is.
Mushy Mushy
KVRAF

ThePresent wrote:If you have uhe Bazille in your DAW, you can make it happen with that synth. It has 4 filters which can be used parallel and/or in series and really flexible modulation possibilities

I've never actually tried Bazille. This could be the impetus I need 8)
PreviousNext

Moderator: KVR Moderators (Main)

Return to Instruments