Login / Register 0 items | $0.00 New @ KVR
Bio~Rhythm
KVRist

49 posts since 30 Oct, 2015

Postby Bio~Rhythm; Sun Sep 16, 2018 5:57 am Improvements to Bitwigs workflow

Hi,

I've tested out bigwig demo & I have a few workflow related questions. Does bitwig have a "view presets" feature ( termed 'Global view presets' in some other DAW's). So for example, I can save a view and quickly call up that 'view' without having to deselect several buttons each time.e.g. A minimal mixer view with only the large meters and launch area.

Also is there any chance of implementing scroll control so rotary controls,sliders etc can be finely controlled simply by using the mouse wheel?. Also this would mean the "scroll wheel" on the Audient iD14 would work correctly in Bitwig.
Which brings me onto the next question.Since I can't use the iD14 Scroll control (and/or a mouse wheel) to control bitwig parameters I will have to look into alternative Midi controllers.I only need a four midi rotary plus controller (bling/too much tech can/does get in the way of concentrating on the music). Is there a minimal midi controller for bitwig that will give some feedback (on the PC screen or the controller it's self) of what parameter a rotary has been assigned to when touched or moved slightly.

One of the main reasons for me checking out bitwig was because of it's comparably good work flow (and it's a good choice for electronic music production) . Of course being able to quickly get musical ideas represented (recorded/produced etc) by whatever musical apparatus,e.g. "Workflow", is key. Though music tends to be of better quality when played.e.g Playflow.
JHernandez
KVRist

207 posts since 6 Dec, 2017

Postby JHernandez; Sun Sep 16, 2018 6:58 am Re: Improvements to Bitwigs workflow

Hi

Templates (file> save as template)

I don't know which minimal controller to suggest but I can tell you that controller scripts can be written and have been written for many controllers. https://www.bitwig.com/en/community/con ... ripts.html Bitwig also has several controller scripts in it already, including a generic script. Others can be found via users, and of course if you know or learn the Open Controller API you can do a custom one.

Controller feedback comes in three ways, via "On-screen controller visualizations in the window footer, which show controls in banks (when appropriate) and displays each control– parameter pair's takeover relationship" New in 2.4 (see section 2.2.4 of user guide) In the middle of the screen, and on some hardware screens via scripting, of which I do not know the details of.

Feature request can be sent here https://www.bitwig.com/en/support/tech-support.html

FYI: You can explore the Bitwig Studio User Guide via the Dasboard under Help. On mac I know you can right click, show package contents, and copy the user guide to the desktop (for example) if you'd like to get to it without launching BWS each time.

Someone may come along and provide more detailed info, good luck.
-JH
Kypresso
KVRist

151 posts since 26 Mar, 2014

Postby Kypresso; Sun Sep 16, 2018 7:37 am Re: Improvements to Bitwigs workflow

Bio~Rhythm wrote:Is there a minimal midi controller for bitwig that will give some feedback (on the PC screen or the controller it's self) of what parameter a rotary has been assigned to when touched or moved slightly.

Korg Nanokontrol2.

Its relatively cheap, comes with some useful free software and an editor. Has 8 faders and knobs that work for mixing and editing devices.

It works incredibly well with bitwig.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LzcRLfZ40i8&t=

Heres a video of it in action but its from 4 years ago so somethings have changed for the better. The new on screen controller view at the bottom of the screen, combined with soft takeover is fecking wonderful now. :)
Bio~Rhythm
KVRist

Postby Bio~Rhythm; Sun Sep 16, 2018 8:54 am Re: Improvements to Bitwigs workflow

JHernandez wrote:Hi

Hi and thanks for the detailed info. Templates are not practical in the case of loading up visual presets whilst producing/playing music. As a work flow feature visual presets are great.e.g. Less clicks etc to setup a particular layout in bitwigs mixer view.
Bio~Rhythm
KVRist

Postby Bio~Rhythm; Sun Sep 16, 2018 9:20 am Re: Improvements to Bitwigs workflow

Kypresso wrote:
Bio~Rhythm wrote:Is there a minimal midi controller for bitwig that will give some feedback (on the PC screen or the controller it's self) of what parameter a rotary has been assigned to when touched or moved slightly.

Korg Nanokontrol2.

Its relatively cheap, comes with some useful free software and an editor. Has 8 faders and knobs that work for mixing and editing devices.

It works incredibly well with bitwig.

That controller should do the task, thanks.FWIW , In the video the guy was randomly adjusting synth parameters and hoping for a decent result. Whilst many like to preach the "just use your ears" and "music is art" mantra, especially within the music domain,It's worth actually understanding how these parameters work ( at least at some some degree or another as we should ideally all be on the continuations learning curve of life.).
Great artists generally need to comprehend what is there artistic objective ( what they want to achieve.e.g. A musical idea) and how to achieve it ( in this context learning sound synthesis and bitwig studio). And whilst many electronic music producers don't specifically comprehend there passion as a science lead pursuit, without science none of foundational knowledge would exist.

Just saying, I've heard tens of thousands of electronic music tracks which are attempting to convey a "spiritual" vibe. Which is ironic, as it's a biological vibe. If anyone doubts this they can quickly test the "spiritual vibe" hypothesis for themselves. Eat only dry food (e.g. no fruit) and drink no water for 5 days. Now measure your "spiritual vibe" hypothesis,that is if you have even the biological motivation/ energy to get out of bed.

p.s . Don't actually try this folks as you'll become ill.
u-u-u
KVRian

829 posts since 31 Mar, 2014

Postby u-u-u; Mon Sep 17, 2018 12:36 am Re: Improvements to Bitwigs workflow

Bio~Rhythm wrote:
JHernandez wrote:Hi

Hi and thanks for the detailed info. Templates are not practical in the case of loading up visual presets whilst producing/playing music. As a work flow feature visual presets are great.e.g. Less clicks etc to setup a particular layout in bitwigs mixer view.

Ah, you mean something like 'screen sets' where you can setup and save you views and settings for different tasks and quickly switch between them during your work process? That's a really good idea, probably already on their long list of requested features.
Just write them a mail (support@bitwig.com) so that they see that more people could use this feature ;)
JHernandez
KVRist

207 posts since 6 Dec, 2017

Postby JHernandez; Mon Sep 17, 2018 6:06 am Re: Improvements to Bitwigs workflow

Oh, I get it now. I wasn't sure what Bio was getting at with "visual presets". Yeah, screen sets are useful in Logic Pro, wouldn't mind seeing something similar in BWS. It's just fast, though I'm already pretty quick the way it is, it would save a click or two.
-JH

Moderator: Bitwig Mods

Return to Bitwig