Psy psy psy

Share your music, collaborate, and partake in monthly music contests.
User avatar
Distorted Horizon
KVRian
1165 posts since 17 Jan, 2017

Post Tue Sep 18, 2018 11:08 am

Had some fun with Waldorf Rocket today.. Everything except drums and white noise is coming from that bad boy :party:

https://soundcloud.com/distortedhorizon ... orizon-run

sjm
KVRAF
1701 posts since 17 Apr, 2004

Re: Psy psy psy

Post Tue Sep 18, 2018 1:08 pm

I'm particularly liking the zippy little things and the use of panning.
Voted KVR's resident drunk Robert Smith impersonator (thanks Frantz!)

recursive one
KVRAF
3686 posts since 7 Feb, 2013

Re: Psy psy psy

Post Wed Sep 19, 2018 7:41 am

Very nice! The leads in the part starting from 5:15 are absolutely awesome, real goa stuff!
I hate incomplete sentences because they ...

User avatar
DJ Warmonger
KVRAF
2816 posts since 7 Jun, 2012 from Warsaw

Re: Psy psy psy

Post Wed Sep 19, 2018 7:55 am

Nice retro goa style, but intro bass needs to be hotter. Now it's pretty flat, like some layer was missing.
http://djwarmonger.wordpress.com/
Tricky-Loops wrote: (...)someone like Armin van Buuren who claims to make a track in half an hour and all his songs sound somewhat boring(...)

User avatar
wagtunes
KVRAF
13422 posts since 8 Oct, 2014

Re: Psy psy psy

Post Wed Sep 19, 2018 8:07 am

My Feedback

Music - 7
Instruments - 9
Performance - 10
Mix - 10

Overall - 9

Comments: Probably not the person to be commenting on this track as the genre itself doesn't do a lot for me musically. Soundwise, love the way this synth sounds. I assume it's hardware as I've never heard of it. The mix is excellent. Everything crystal clear. Nice stereo field. Performance is solid. Musically, and this is just for me, there simply isn't enough to keep me interested for 7 minutes. The intro, which barely changed at all, lasted for over a minute and a half. In fact, the entire piece was just subtle variations on the main theme. I get what this genre is for. It's for people to get out on the dance floor. They're probably more into the beat and the sound FX than any "melody" you could come up with. So for that, it serves its purpose and I have no doubt this track would be "suitable" for club play. It certainly has the "sound." But as a musical composition, I was bored to tears. Like I said, I probably shouldn't be commenting on pieces like this because I'm too old to be "wowed" by this stuff but I did want to acknowledge the parts I felt were very well done. Sadly, all that was needed for me to really enjoy this piece was some kind of main top line melody with a hook. But I get it, that's not what Psytrance is about.

Because of my frustrations with this genre, I'm going to be working on a CD shortly called "Trance Madness" where I'll be adding vocals and melodies to make Trance the way I'd like it to be heard. I'm sure many will say it's not Trance, and that's fine. But there is so much potential with stuff like this because sound wise, it's really interesting. Much more so than a standard rock or pop piece.

Maybe I'll call the CD "Pop Trance"

Anyway, hope you took these comments in the spirit in which they were intended. High scores given to everything but the music.

User avatar
Distorted Horizon
KVRian
1165 posts since 17 Jan, 2017

Re: Psy psy psy

Post Wed Sep 19, 2018 8:50 am

recursive one wrote:Very nice! The leads in the part starting from 5:15 are absolutely awesome, real goa stuff!
Thank you :hug:
DJ Warmonger wrote:Nice retro goa style, but intro bass needs to be hotter. Now it's pretty flat, like some layer was missing.
Ah.. I felt that something's missing badly but didn't realize it was that :dog:
wagtunes wrote:My Feedback

Comments: Probably not the person to be commenting on this track as the genre itself doesn't do a lot for me musically. Soundwise, love the way this synth sounds. I assume it's hardware as I've never heard of it. The mix is excellent. Everything crystal clear. Nice stereo field. Performance is solid. Musically, and this is just for me, there simply isn't enough to keep me interested for 7 minutes. The intro, which barely changed at all, lasted for over a minute and a half. In fact, the entire piece was just subtle variations on the main theme. I get what this genre is for. It's for people to get out on the dance floor. They're probably more into the beat and the sound FX than any "melody" you could come up with. So for that, it serves its purpose and I have no doubt this track would be "suitable" for club play. It certainly has the "sound." But as a musical composition, I was bored to tears. Like I said, I probably shouldn't be commenting on pieces like this because I'm too old to be "wowed" by this stuff but I did want to acknowledge the parts I felt were very well done. Sadly, all that was needed for me to really enjoy this piece was some kind of main top line melody with a hook. But I get it, that's not what Psytrance is about.
Oh Wagsy I always value your opinions :hug: Yes the song is made entirely with Waldorf Rocket (VA with analog filter) and it has some nice "something" in its sound.
You pointed my weak point exactly there.. The last "drop" was the part I made first so it's nice and "full" but trying to build stuff that leads to the climax? Takes a lot of practice :P

User avatar
layzer
KVRAF
5544 posts since 11 Jun, 2006

Re: Psy psy psy

Post Wed Sep 19, 2018 10:51 am

DJ Warmonger wrote:Nice retro goa style, but intro bass needs to be hotter. Now it's pretty flat, like some layer was missing.
bass was perfect, ignore this dude. :tu:
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
HW SYNTHS [KORG T2EX - AKAI AX80 - YAMAHA SY77 - ENSONIQ VFX]
HW MODULES [OBi M1000 - ROLAND MKS-50 - ROLAND JV880 - KURZ 1000PX]
SW [CHARLATAN - OBXD - OXE - ELEKTRO - MICROTERA - M1 - SURGE - RMiV]
DAW [ENERGY XT2/1U RACK WINXP / MAUDIO 1010LT PCI]

Local Man
KVRist
248 posts since 31 May, 2017

Re: Psy psy psy

Post Wed Sep 19, 2018 2:16 pm

<Note to self: buy a Waldorf Rocket.>

Sounds great man!

User avatar
Distorted Horizon
KVRian
1165 posts since 17 Jan, 2017

Re: Psy psy psy

Post Thu Sep 20, 2018 12:56 am

Local Man wrote:<Note to self: buy a Waldorf Rocket.>

Sounds great man!
Please do :D

And thank you :hug:

User avatar
Distorted Horizon
KVRian
1165 posts since 17 Jan, 2017

Re: Psy psy psy

Post Thu Sep 20, 2018 12:58 am

layzer wrote:
DJ Warmonger wrote:Nice retro goa style, but intro bass needs to be hotter. Now it's pretty flat, like some layer was missing.
bass was perfect, ignore this dude. :tu:


Ah.. I understood that it should have a tiny top layer, making the intro part bass a bit snappier or some bit more busy, quieter top bass.

User avatar
Allomerus
KVRAF
2049 posts since 28 Aug, 2012 from Melbourne, Australia

Re: Psy psy psy

Post Thu Sep 20, 2018 2:20 am

I think you have done a very job on this style of music. It does what is says on the tin.
Sounds good on my monitors. A very cool sounding synth!
Maybe you could add a light show! ;)
Well done!
:)
Allomerus.com
Bandcamp
Music with progressive intent.

User avatar
JazzyClarinetMan
KVRist
45 posts since 25 Aug, 2018 from United Kingdom

Re: Psy psy psy

Post Thu Sep 20, 2018 7:36 am

Lots of energy. I enjoyed listening.
Jazz Clarinet Rocks - well sort of Swings anyway!

User avatar
seismic1
KVRAF
9013 posts since 13 Mar, 2009 from UK

Re: Psy psy psy

Post Mon Sep 24, 2018 3:25 pm

Good to hear The Rocket getting a serious workout :tu:

Good work :)

fastlanephil
KVRian
586 posts since 3 Jan, 2016

Re: Psy psy psy

Post Mon Sep 24, 2018 6:47 pm

It sounds like solid EDM. A nice blend of sounds and good development.

klapton
KVRer
9 posts since 4 Sep, 2014

Re: Psy psy psy

Post Mon Sep 24, 2018 6:52 pm

Seriously, this is great stuff you've been able to get out of the Rocket.

My only thought is that the bass needs more bite. It sounds a bit rounded off/low-passed. But that could just be my preference for a more full-on style of bass sound. Not knowing what processing you've done, maybe some compression on the bass will help to brighten the attack which should put everything else right in place, spectrum-wise.

Overall, nice track!

604

Return to “Music Cafe”