Guitar Pedals Directly into Audio Interface

Anything about hardware musical instruments.
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

This may be a stupid question, but will connecting a guitar FX pedal directly into an audio interface harm the audio interface? I want to run a Moog Sub 37 through a pedal, then directly to the interface..

maschine mk3 audio interface:
Line-In
Full Scale Level +18,6 dBu
Dynamic Range 100 dB
THD+N 0.003 %
Frequency Response: 20Hz-20kHz +/- 0.1 dB
Crosstalk L/R -96 dB

MXR M82 bass envelope filter pedal:
Input Impedance: 1 MΩ
Output Impedance: 100 Ω
Max Input Level: -15dBV
Max output level: +8 dBV
Power Supply: 9 volts DC

No, you won't hurt anything. Using a DI or line level shifter is ideal in this situation but not necessary.

Just to mention one thing - if pedal is engaged it will basically have a proper impedance in both ends.
But if pedal is true bypass and not engaged - it will be the same as connecting guitar directly to interface - which may be not so good unless hi-impedance instrument input.
Some buffered pedals - like Boss - will be ok in either case, engaged or not - guitar is always going through pedal electronics.

There can be DC offset from the pedal output, as well as impedance issues. It’s advisable to use a simple isolator, if not a DI.

Since it’s bass, you might want to consider using something like a Seymour Duncan ParaNormal. It’s a bass EQ/DI and is great for sound shaping.
I miss MindPrint. My TRIO needs a big brother.

justin3am wrote:No, you won't hurt anything. Using a DI or line level shifter is ideal in this situation but not necessary.
+1. Nothing will break, it will just work directly. Anything you put inbetween can (and often will) degrade the signal. DC offsets and impedance issues are rare, better solve that only if it surfaces as a real issue.
In this case the output impedance of the pedal is very low and it matches the line input of your interface.
We are the KVR collective. Resistance is futile. You will be assimilated. Image
My MusicCalc is served over https!!

Thank you, guys! I just wanted to be sure because I dont fully understand the whole impedance thing. Still have a lot to learn.. :)

Return to “Hardware (Instruments and Effects)”