Old stuff, 1988 or so...

Share your music, collaborate, and partake in monthly music contests.
RELATED
PRODUCTS

This was on my first CD from Badland Records. It did not get so much attention so I wonder what you all think about it.
First listen, later I will explain how it was done back then...

https://soundcloud.com/ondes-memorielle ... -the-voice

:o nice!
very 2001 in parts but with some nice detours along the way 8)
love the tribal rhythm morph section :love:

It was made with a single sample, a cry sung by Diamanda Galas during a warm-up in the hallway of Künstlerhaus Bethanien in Berlin. I used a program I wrote in Modula II to drive a Casio FZ-10m and a Akai S-612. Recorded to a Fostex A-8 to do a mix.

Another example made with the same technique but a different sample (that one is more obvious)...

https://soundcloud.com/ondes-memorielle ... e-of-music

It got included into a sampler from the German Keyboards magazin in 1988 with an extremly diverse collection of music made by the readers of that magazin...
Last edited by Tj Shredder on Sat Sep 29, 2018 9:06 am, edited 1 time in total.

Interesting creation...

I know very little about Modula 2 apart from it was created by Wirth, (my son studies Maths and Computing at Uni and he recognized the name). I do know that all those early programming languages were tricky little buggers to use..impressive!

Looking at the name - was it a modular system then? Not many were at that time from what I remember.

ChamMusic wrote:Interesting creation...

I know very little about Modula 2 apart from it was created by Wirth, (my son studies Maths and Computing at Uni and he recognized the name). I do know that all those early programming languages were tricky little buggers to use..impressive!

Looking at the name - was it a modular system then? Not many were at that time from what I remember.
Modula 2 was the successor of Pascal, just a programming language less error prone than C...
Since I switched to Max in the early 90s, I never looked back to what I call „lines of code“ programming, though I could and still can include it into my Max/MSP patches as Javascript or Java...
The mind set of Max is modelled after a Modular system, but the algorithms I used in those old pieces are recursive, hard to put into a patch, but possible...

Tj Shredder wrote:
ChamMusic wrote:Interesting creation...

Modula 2 was the successor of Pascal, just a programming language less error prone than C...
Since I switched to Max in the early 90s, I never looked back to what I call „lines of code“ programming, though I could and still can include it into my Max/MSP patches as Javascript or Java...
The mind set of Max is modelled after a Modular system, but the algorithms I used in those old pieces are recursive, hard to put into a patch, but possible...
Thanks for the info...Pascal I have heard of!

hopefully well get to hear some more up to date stuff too 8)
as well as more of the old :D

Interesting, especially the back story of how these were done. Sounds like the early Berlin School/Avante Garde stuff.
I invite you to 'voyage' over to https://adrianearnshaw.com, sign up for some fun e-mail 'blasts', and look forward to helping you launch your ears - and projects - into the stratosphere.

:clap: For the interesting works

But

1988 being classified as "Old stuff"... :x :P

:D

I found it quite worth listening to as experimental music. It seemed to have sort of steel drum thing in one spot.

I bought Pascal with my Mac 512e in 87 after learning BASIC but I never persued it. I did use some intelligent instruments such as Midi Mouse, written by composer Laurie Spiegel, that you played using the mouse that manipulated chording algorithms. I used it for back ground music at my younger brother’s wedding and got away with it. :D

Good work!

Actually the first Pascal versions of that appeared on an Apple ][ compatible with Z-80 card running Turbo Pascal. Later I got a Gepard computer you most likely never heard of. The first incarnation used the Apple ][ as console. It was a 68000 computer in a 19" rack, I had to solder my own Midi card. It had its own operating system, a bit like the Apple Pascal, but based on Modula II...
Old memories...

The complete CD that was published back then, I just placed on Bandcamp:

https://tj-shredder.bandcamp.com/album/ ... ariationen

Have fun to listen to the lot...

For the lazy ones the 2nd Track:

https://soundcloud.com/ondes-memorielle ... ders-music

Another old one, made during a computer music course at TU Berlin. Done with a Syter, the predecessor of the GRM tools. It was a hardware device with a trackpad as controller, but I had only access to it for a very short time...
That time I was travelling Europe always with a Sony Walkman professional for field recordings...
The cover shows me and the mother of my kids covered in mud, at one of the 4 hot springs featured in that piece. The other springs had the sound of waves, as it was under water, one was just hot steam, close to that was a beehive, and then there was a public one where all these kids where playing...

https://soundcloud.com/ondes-memorielle ... antelleria

biodiode wrote: Mon Sep 24, 2018 8:19 pm Interesting, especially the back story of how these were done. Sounds like the early Berlin School/Avante Garde stuff.
; - ) The first concert I ever had was at an event called "Berliner Elektroniknacht" with a lot of back then unknown musicians in our group like Mario Schönwälder and Bernd Kistenmacher forming the second wave of Berlin School. Though I would never call my music part of that genre...
I did learn a lot in Christopher Frankes Studio, as I was his assistant before he migrated to Hollywood...
Yes, there is a connection...

donut electronic night? :hihi:

Donuts are missing a center, Berliner have a surprise in the center!
Don‘t mix that up...

Return to “Music Cafe”