Just some oldschool techno

Share your music, collaborate, and partake in monthly music contests.
Delta Sign
KVRian
524 posts since 22 Jun, 2018

Post Thu Sep 20, 2018 11:06 am

Something different from me this time :hihi:

It's an oldschool "techno" track. You know, repetitive, fairly dirty and noisy, lots of subtle changing elements, no side chain compression, no big drop... :hihi:
But (hopefully) something you can get lost in :)
It's a bit on the short side, though.

https://soundcloud.com/deltasign/night-shift

Maybe someone likes it!

wagtunes
KVRAF
14010 posts since 8 Oct, 2014

Re: Just some oldschool techno

Post Thu Sep 20, 2018 12:21 pm

My Feedback

Music - 5
Instruments - 8
Performance - 7.5
Mix - 7.5

Overall - 7

Comments: Kick at intro a bit too in the face for my taste but that's just a personal thing. Once the bass comes in it seems to sit better. Musically, I guess it's typical for this genre. I wonder when the split came between the generation that listened to melodies and the generation that listened to beats and sounds? Anyway, sound wise it's decent, though it doesn't blow me away even on that level. Kind of bare bones basic. Musically, it's very minimal.

ChamMusic
KVRian
893 posts since 12 Jun, 2006

Post Thu Sep 20, 2018 1:35 pm

It has the beginnings of a good track, but there's not much there yet beyond the basic groove.

Overall the groove drives forward well with good energy, but to my ear the bass sound that enters just after 20 seconds detracts slightly from the flow and saps the energy a little bit.

It has a lot of potential but needs more content for me.

layzer
KVRAF
5765 posts since 11 Jun, 2006

Post Fri Sep 21, 2018 7:32 pm

on something like this, the kick does not need to be so prominent. good bass, add some
chord changes, some nice arps and a lead, we might have something to write home about ;)
HW SYNTHS [KORG T2EX - AKAI AX80 - YAMAHA SY77 - ENSONIQ VFX]
HW MODULES [OBi M1000 - ROLAND MKS-50 - ROLAND JV880 - KURZ 1000PX]
SW [CHARLATAN - OBXD - OXE - ELEKTRO - MICROTERA - M1 - SURGE - RMiV]
DAW [ENERGY XT2/1U RACK WINXP / MAUDIO 1010LT PCI]

htohgrom
KVRist
59 posts since 29 May, 2010 from Poland

Post Sun Sep 23, 2018 1:40 pm

That's pretty good techno, I enjoyed it :) Wouldn't hurt to make it longer.
I wonder when the split came between the generation that listened to melodies and the generation that listened to beats and sounds?
I don't think it's a generation thing. There have always been both kinds of music, think about for example tribal african music or other traditional drum based music with prominent beat being often an only element. It's a matter of genre. I myself like to listen to all kinds of music, enjoy melodies and harmonies in jazz for example, but it's not something I'm looking for in techno. Just the opposite.
Metal in my heart
Synths in my sound card

Return to “Music Cafe”