Synthwave - Topaz Rain - Not quite an artist

Share your music, collaborate, and partake in monthly music contests.
Sam9099
KVRer
2 posts since 4 Oct, 2018

Post Fri Oct 05, 2018 5:28 am

Hi everyone :wink:

After drafting this post it ends up massive and I don't want this to come across as one of those cringe "how to sound good plz" posts so I'm just going to list off some info (excuses).

-First time producing anything ever, so learning DAW as well as all the rest of it (including this genre which I first heard a couple of weeks ago).
-Played guitar for a while so I'm pretty confident with melodies etc (the actual music side of things) I think my weakness is in the production side and transposing my ideas into software?
-My thoughts now it's finished? Now that I've heard it a few times it sounds kinda sparse and even boring, like there's gaps that need filling between lead-arp-bass even when they're all playing... I didn't think this until after I finished, so have I killed this particular track for myself or Is this something like soundFX are used to deal with? Or I guess it's more progressive than most synthwave I've come across?
-My mate (who had also never come across synthwave) says the kick and snare sound too similar. Again, I didn't think this at the time but now it does sound as if the kick plays at a lower voume when the snare does but it actually doesn't.
-Going forward, I think I've got to focus on EQing, proper compression use etc, the "synthwave sound" is there(ish) and will naturally improve.

Of course, thank you very much for your feedback.
Much love.

https://soundcloud.com/sam-roberts-524133909/topaz-rain

layzer
KVRAF
5546 posts since 11 Jun, 2006

Re: Synthwave - Topaz Rain - Not quite an artist

Post Fri Oct 05, 2018 8:52 am

welcome to kvr. well... i am not one to point out every single problem with a track
but i will say that although the arps are cool, they go on too long. there should
be another riff that takes turns with them coming in and out. then theres odd, out of key
moments... it def sounds very beginner, but hey we all been there, keep at it and keep learning!
HW SYNTHS [KORG T2EX - AKAI AX80 - YAMAHA SY77 - ENSONIQ VFX]
HW MODULES [OBi M1000 - ROLAND MKS-50 - ROLAND JV880 - KURZ 1000PX]
SW [CHARLATAN - OBXD - OXE - ELEKTRO - MICROTERA - M1 - SURGE - RMiV]
DAW [ENERGY XT2/1U RACK WINXP / MAUDIO 1010LT PCI]

Sam9099
KVRer
2 posts since 4 Oct, 2018

Re: Synthwave - Topaz Rain - Not quite an artist

Post Fri Oct 05, 2018 11:52 am

Thanks Layzer.
I did hear the out of key bits. When trying to find out what I'd done I overlayed the piano rolls of every track and found that when piecing one of them together (can't remember which) I managed to drag a chunk one semitone lower than all the other tracks :? Took me a LONG time to work it out and even re-wrote large parts because it wasn't sounding right, before discovering that's what I'd done; so I definitely won't be doing that again. It was a frustrating process because of a stupid (beginner :) ) mistake after that I just wanted to be done, seeing as nothing I doubt anything I create for a while will be a keeper. Since then I've discovered I could have locked the piano roll to a certain scale :hihi: , although I prefer the freedom of not doing that since I want to get more experimental when my skills improve.

As for the arp, yea totally get that. I think I really liked the sound of it so I just kept adding more, to the point where I extended the song by 8 bars just to hear more of it :hihi:

Return to “Music Cafe”