Analog Obsession releases BUSTER v4 & intro price!

VST, AU, etc. plug-in Virtual Effects discussion
AnalogObsession
KVRist
33 posts since 3 Oct, 2018

Post Tue Oct 09, 2018 6:14 am

Image

Update Notes:

Improved filter and compressor sidechain

Calibrated and accurate meter

New easy on eye GUI


DESCRIPTION

Infuse your mixes with legendary bus compressor’s sonic character
Brings famous gear ITB
Adds cohesion and strength to your mix without compromising clarity
6 ratio settings ranging from 1.5:1 to 10:1
5 release settings and Auto Release function
Extra Sidechain HPF and MIX knobs
Supported Plugin Formats
AU, VST2

Supported Operating Systems
Mac OS X 10.7 through 10.12
Windows 7 through 10
Any VST/AU-compatible host running on a supported operating system

Mac
Intel CPU only (minimum 2 GHz recommended)

PC
Intel-compatible CPU with SSE2 instruction set (Pentium 4 compatible or higher; minimum 2 GHz recommended)

System Requirements
Display resolution: 1440 × 900px or 1280 × 960px or higher
Memory: 2 GB RAM

Free update for owners!

INTRO PRICE $29 (REG.$39)

http://analogobsession.com/product/buster/
http://analogobsession.com/ VST, AU, AAX for WIN & MAC

User avatar
Burillo
KVRAF
3032 posts since 15 Nov, 2006 from Hell

Re: Analog Obsession releases BUSTER v4 & intro price!

Post Tue Oct 09, 2018 7:58 am

why do i have to register to try a demo?
From Russia with love

AnalogObsession
KVRist
33 posts since 3 Oct, 2018

Re: Analog Obsession releases BUSTER v4 & intro price!

Post Tue Oct 09, 2018 8:08 am

Burillo wrote:
Tue Oct 09, 2018 7:58 am
why do i have to register to try a demo?
Sorry about that.

Now changed permission.

Thanks for warning.
http://analogobsession.com/ VST, AU, AAX for WIN & MAC

User avatar
Burillo
KVRAF
3032 posts since 15 Nov, 2006 from Hell

Re: Analog Obsession releases BUSTER v4 & intro price!

Post Tue Oct 09, 2018 8:40 am

did a quick test. first of all, there's a bug where bypassing the compressor still has the GR meter engaged:
buster-GR-bug.jpg
also, Plugin Doctor shows a very weird dynamic response down at the lower levels - looks like some kind of rounding error to me:
buster-dynamics-graph.jpg
this response is constant and does not depend on compressor settings or gain values (well, gain values do shift where these happen, but don't change the shape). the noise becomes apparent when shooting extremely low level signals through Buster (think -100dB), or when doing a null-test. not an issue with any other plugin i've tested. once the signal passes certain threshold, this noise disappears (as is clearly seen on the dynamics graph), so this is most definitely a rounding error. (the jagginess and discreteness of the graph also point to a rounding error)

frequency response also looks a bit weird in Plugin Doctor:
buster-freq-analysis.jpg
however, it's most probably due to saturation modeling, because frequency response in SPAN looks perfectly flat as far as i can tell.

doing a null-test or looking at graphs in Plugin Doctor doesn't reveal anything interesting - aside from above weirdness, the plugin works as intended. i'll do some more actual listening tests later :D

i would also like value display when turning knobs - makes matching settings much easier.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
From Russia with love

AnalogObsession
KVRist
33 posts since 3 Oct, 2018

Re: Analog Obsession releases BUSTER v4 & intro price!

Post Tue Oct 09, 2018 9:01 am

Burillo wrote:
Tue Oct 09, 2018 8:40 am
did a quick test. first of all, there's a bug where bypassing the compressor still has the GR meter engaged:

buster-GR-bug.jpg

also, Plugin Doctor shows a very weird dynamic response down at the lower levels - looks like some kind of rounding error to me:

buster-dynamics-graph.jpg

this response is constant and does not depend on compressor settings or gain values (well, gain values do shift where these happen, but don't change the shape). the noise becomes apparent when shooting extremely low level signals through Buster (think -100dB), or when doing a null-test. not an issue with any other plugin i've tested. once the signal passes certain threshold, this noise disappears (as is clearly seen on the dynamics graph), so this is most definitely a rounding error. (the jagginess and discreteness of the graph also point to a rounding error)

frequency response also looks a bit weird in Plugin Doctor:

buster-freq-analysis.jpg

however, it's most probably due to saturation modeling, because frequency response in SPAN looks perfectly flat as far as i can tell.

doing a null-test or looking at graphs in Plugin Doctor doesn't reveal anything interesting - aside from above weirdness, the plugin works as intended. i'll do some more actual listening tests later :D

i would also like value display when turning knobs - makes matching settings much easier.
Bypass is not closing processing. It's thru-bypass.

About weirdness, yes, i noticed that but i'm seeing it with only Plugin Doctor.

I would like to hear something about sound, too.

Thanks.
http://analogobsession.com/ VST, AU, AAX for WIN & MAC

User avatar
poshook
KVRian
683 posts since 31 Aug, 2004

Re: Analog Obsession releases BUSTER v4 & intro price!

Post Tue Oct 09, 2018 9:11 am

Soundwise it is not bad to me

AnalogObsession
KVRist
33 posts since 3 Oct, 2018

Re: Analog Obsession releases BUSTER v4 & intro price!

Post Tue Oct 09, 2018 9:13 am

poshook wrote:
Tue Oct 09, 2018 9:11 am
Soundwise it is not bad to me
Good to hear.

Thanks.
http://analogobsession.com/ VST, AU, AAX for WIN & MAC

User avatar
Burillo
KVRAF
3032 posts since 15 Nov, 2006 from Hell

Re: Analog Obsession releases BUSTER v4 & intro price!

Post Tue Oct 09, 2018 9:24 am

you can "hear" it in a null test. just do a test with some transient-y material like a drum loop with a lot of cymbals - you'll hear the "noise" in the cymbal decay.

otherwise, i must say, it doesn't sound like any other SSL or SSL-like compressor plugin that i have. i never liked how those other ones (and i have the IK SSL, FXPansion SSL, and Vertigo VSC-2, which should be a lot like SSL) sound with big gain reduction values - they all sound clicky even with longer attack and lower ratios, so i only use them to shave off a few dB here and there.

Buster doesn't appear to have that problem. i can pile up as much as 12dB (according to the GR meter anyway), and it still sounds pleasant to my ears. it sounds like it has a lot faster release time than it does - that is also confirmed by the null test, where it is obvious that Buster seems to be acting mostly on the initial transient and releases very quick. this is probably why Buster sounds much better with more gain reduction.
From Russia with love

Gregorius
KVRist
81 posts since 30 Jun, 2015

Re: Analog Obsession releases BUSTER v4 & intro price!

Post Tue Oct 09, 2018 9:39 am

The host's readout shows the parameter in percent or int (for example sidechain 0 to 1%, threshold -50 to -10%, ...). That'S bad for automation. It also mentions sidechain, but I can't route an external sidechain signal into it, right? The label for threshold in Buster (-20 to +20) doesn't match the input, please explain what -20 means.

I've setup FabFilter ProC2 with similar settings. Buster sounds pretty crushed in the release time compare to the clean output of ProC. Buster also produces slightly different results depending on what samplerate you're working with.

Rickskii
KVRist
52 posts since 30 Jan, 2015

Re: Analog Obsession releases BUSTER v4 & intro price!

Post Tue Oct 09, 2018 10:22 am

Nice, I like it!

Elektronisch
KVRAF
2332 posts since 3 Feb, 2010

Re: Analog Obsession releases BUSTER v4 & intro price!

Post Tue Oct 09, 2018 11:13 am

As i understand its modeled on SSL compressor?

Can you give AB comparison with your (or the one you borrowed) hardware model you modeled? Im curious how it compares :-)

User avatar
Rockatansky
KVRist
253 posts since 3 Jun, 2017

Re: Analog Obsession releases BUSTER v4 & intro price!

Post Tue Oct 09, 2018 11:21 am

Gregorius wrote:
Tue Oct 09, 2018 9:39 am
Buster also produces slightly different results depending on what samplerate you're working with.
Maybe it's still using that filter he generated from Faust code and can't figure out how to adapt it to different samplerates. Or maybe he generated Faust code for his detector timings that is oblivious to samplerates.
https://forum.cockos.com/showthread.php?t=204263
Confucamus.

AnalogObsession
KVRist
33 posts since 3 Oct, 2018

Re: Analog Obsession releases BUSTER v4 & intro price!

Post Fri Oct 12, 2018 12:51 am

Quick update!

Fixed corrupted archive file issue for Windows.
http://analogobsession.com/ VST, AU, AAX for WIN & MAC

AnalogObsession
KVRist
33 posts since 3 Oct, 2018

Re: Analog Obsession releases BUSTER v4 & intro price!

Post Tue Oct 16, 2018 6:45 am

New GUI coming in a couple day!

Some users have issues with 3D view, so made it 2D.

Image
http://analogobsession.com/ VST, AU, AAX for WIN & MAC

Gregorius
KVRist
81 posts since 30 Jun, 2015

Re: Analog Obsession releases BUSTER v4 & intro price!

Post Tue Oct 16, 2018 6:48 am

Would you please be so kind and respond to the questions & problems mentioned in this topic, instead of doing plain marketing bla?

Return to “Effects”