Mutable Instruments 'Stages' now availabe on VCV rack

VST, AU, AAX, etc. plug-in Virtual Instruments discussion
vurt
addled muppet weed
38550 posts since 26 Jan, 2003 from through the looking glass

Post Sat Oct 13, 2018 12:24 pm

wags wrote:

Well, VCV is not a hardware modular. All it is, is Softube Modular with more modules. But it isn't the real thing.
yeah i know. was just joking really.
you don't "need" anything. we all make our own choices :)
were lucky we have so many options be they hardware of software :)

but vcv is coming to vst. from the original dev.
all the current free modules will still be free, well from what ive read anyway. it is just the rack that will cost.
or other pay to play modules, which already exist too :)
Last edited by vurt on Sat Oct 13, 2018 12:40 pm, edited 2 times in total.

SLiC
KVRAF
3046 posts since 2 Dec, 2004 from North Wales

Re: Mutable Instruments 'Stages' now availabe on VCV rack

Post Sat Oct 13, 2018 12:30 pm

wagtunes wrote:
Sat Oct 13, 2018 10:39 am
SLiC wrote:
Sat Oct 13, 2018 10:32 am
I realy dont know why people want this as a VST, that isn’t the way I work with my hardware modular and the midi and audio bridge works seamlessly in all DAWs if you realy want to combine it all live or just play the rack as an instrument.

Personally I like to work stuff within the modular framework, as I do with hardware then make loops, stems and drones etc.and then use them in my DAW or Octatrack.
That's fine if that's the workflow you want. I don't want to go through all that to make a lead line for a dance track.
Neither would I, I have a few hundred HP of hardware Eurorack and I don’t think I have ever used it to just to play lead lines with, there are much better hardware and software synths for that type of thing IMHO.
i7 Win 10 + Surface, BWS, StudioOne 4, X32 Desk. Rubicon R8s, DM12, P8, Virus TI, Syst1m, 500hp Eurorack, Elektron A4, RYTM, OT, Heat, Digitone, MPC Live, OP-Z, Mother+DFAM, Drums, Guitars, Basses and Amps

wagtunes
KVRAF
14007 posts since 8 Oct, 2014

Post Sat Oct 13, 2018 12:51 pm

SLiC wrote:
Sat Oct 13, 2018 12:30 pm
wagtunes wrote:
Sat Oct 13, 2018 10:39 am
SLiC wrote:
Sat Oct 13, 2018 10:32 am
I realy dont know why people want this as a VST, that isn’t the way I work with my hardware modular and the midi and audio bridge works seamlessly in all DAWs if you realy want to combine it all live or just play the rack as an instrument.

Personally I like to work stuff within the modular framework, as I do with hardware then make loops, stems and drones etc.and then use them in my DAW or Octatrack.
That's fine if that's the workflow you want. I don't want to go through all that to make a lead line for a dance track.
Neither would I, I have a few hundred HP of hardware Eurorack and I don’t think I have ever used it to just to play lead lines with, there are much better hardware and software synths for that type of thing IMHO.
Unless you're looking for a kind of sound that only a modular is going to give you.

For example, I just created a lead in Softube using Braids and the new delay unit that you're not getting from a VA synth. No how, no way. So yeah, in that scenario, I'm going to pull up Softube just to do that lead line because nothing else will give me what I'm looking for.

lnikj
KVRAF
1846 posts since 23 May, 2005 from the North Cornwall coast

Post Sat Oct 13, 2018 8:27 pm

^ As SLiC says you can create that lead in Rack too. You can send midi notes and CC to Rack and get Audio back using the VCV bridge plugin: https://vcvrack.com/manual/Bridge.html.

It's not a faff to set up and works fine.

A Rack VST is not scheduled for Version 1 of Rack but for Version 2, so you will be waiting a long time for that. In the meantime you will be missing out on the (IMHO) most exciting software development in many years.

SLiC
KVRAF

Post Sun Oct 14, 2018 12:54 am

Yup, and as well as Braids for free you also get Plaits (which is the more recent reworking of Braids with updated algorithms) Marbles, Stages etc....you get all this free and it sounds the same when using bridge and it’s super easy to use. (For example, with hardware I have to come out of ADAT and use exper sleepers ES modules to convert audio to cv.,.,with bridge I can just use Bitwig modulators directly over the midi bridge to control VCV Rack and visa versa - rack output can go through VST fx in real time...as someone who works out of the box with hardware coming in to my DAW, this is a no hassle at all!)

What a lot of people don’t realise is that with VCV and an expert sleepers audio to CV module, I am using VCV just to control and sequence hardware....MI marbles is no triggering my hardware Braids with Stages shaping a hardware VCO....

I am hoping the bridge will make it possible to have VCV on one PC and pipe it in to another PC in to the DAW, ultimately when you start putting a lot of modules in VCV it is effectively a DAW, so a DAW in a DAW may not be the best solution (hence rewire, jack etc)
i7 Win 10 + Surface, BWS, StudioOne 4, X32 Desk. Rubicon R8s, DM12, P8, Virus TI, Syst1m, 500hp Eurorack, Elektron A4, RYTM, OT, Heat, Digitone, MPC Live, OP-Z, Mother+DFAM, Drums, Guitars, Basses and Amps

vortico
KVRist
198 posts since 19 Jul, 2008

Post Sun Oct 14, 2018 10:27 am

fmr wrote:
Sat Oct 13, 2018 6:58 am
The developer already started the development of version 1, which will be available also as VST. Hopefully, we can expect it somewhere during the first or second quarter of 2019. It will be paid, but considering all that we get (and already got for free), I will gladly pay for it.

https://twitter.com/vcvrack/status/1045 ... ack.com%2F
That is not quite right. When Rack 2.0 is released, a new fork of Rack will be available as a VST plugin for around $99. This is simply because supporting a large VST plugin is exorbitantly expensive. VCV Rack will remain open-source.
VCV Rack open-source virtual modular synthesizer

wagtunes
KVRAF

Post Sun Oct 14, 2018 10:34 am

vortico wrote:
Sun Oct 14, 2018 10:27 am
fmr wrote:
The developer already started the development of version 1, which will be available also as VST. Hopefully, we can expect it somewhere during the first or second quarter of 2019. It will be paid, but considering all that we get (and already got for free), I will gladly pay for it.

That is not quite right. When Rack 2.0 is released, a new fork of Rack will be available as a VST plugin for around $99. VCV Rack will remain open-source.
Rack 2.0, will it contain all the modules of VCV Rack or will it essentially become the Softube model where everything has to be paid for? If the latter, then even as a VST it's worthless to me. I have enough modular software that I'm paying for in bits and pieces. I don't need to add to that.

vortico
KVRist
198 posts since 19 Jul, 2008

Post Sun Oct 14, 2018 11:18 am

Rack only includes the Core "plugin" (although Fundamental is bundled with the release distribution). Other plugins are installed separately through the Plugin Manager, third-party websites, from source, etc. The VST fork will be binary-compatible with Rack plugins. Using the VST fork won't require you to pay VCV or third-party vendors for loading additional plugins. That would be a bizarre model.
VCV Rack open-source virtual modular synthesizer

wagtunes
KVRAF

Post Sun Oct 14, 2018 11:27 am

vortico wrote:
Sun Oct 14, 2018 11:18 am
Rack only includes the Core "plugin" (although Fundamental is bundled with the release distribution). Other plugins are installed separately through the Plugin Manager, third-party websites, from source, etc. The VST fork will be binary-compatible with Rack plugins. Using the VST fork won't require you to pay VCV or third-party vendors for loading additional plugins. That would be a bizarre model.
Bizarre and ridiculously expensive.

SLiC
KVRAF

Post Sun Oct 14, 2018 11:47 am

@wagtunes - a lot of the stuff you have to buy in softube is free in VCV rack and it is identical (same souse code) in fact you have far more than in softube, all the MI stuff for free and hundreds of other equity outstanding modules.

wagtunes
KVRAF

Post Sun Oct 14, 2018 11:50 am

SLiC wrote:
Sun Oct 14, 2018 11:47 am
@wagtunes - a lot of the stuff you have to buy in softube is free in VCV rack and it is identical (same souse code) in fact you have far more than in softube, all the MI stuff for free and hundreds of other equity outstanding modules.
I understand that, and I'd love to get it, but I'm not dealing with something that isn't a VST.

blizzard
KVRist
71 posts since 17 Apr, 2005 from DFW, TX

Post Sun Oct 14, 2018 11:57 am

$99 is just nothing for such flexible plugin and enormous amount of possibilities.
resistance is futile

lnikj
KVRAF
1846 posts since 23 May, 2005 from the North Cornwall coast

Post Sun Oct 14, 2018 12:27 pm

wagtunes wrote:
Sun Oct 14, 2018 11:50 am
SLiC wrote:
I understand that, and I'd love to get it, but I'm not dealing with something that isn't a VST.
In 2 years time (or whenever) when you get a VST version there will be 2500+ modules for it and you will be wondering how to cope with it all and wishing you had got on board earlier when your brain had some chance of seeing the big picture :)

Believe me, my head feels in danger of exploding on a daily basis trying to keep up ;)

SLiC
KVRAF

Post Sun Oct 14, 2018 12:33 pm

wagtunes wrote:
Sun Oct 14, 2018 11:50 am
SLiC wrote:
Fair enough, but I assume you use a DAW (that isn’t a VST), I think of VCV more like a DAW I didn’t have to learn to use as I can already plumb my modular, and it’s identical to using VCV rack.

fmr
KVRAF
8096 posts since 16 Mar, 2003 from Porto - Portugal

Post Sun Oct 14, 2018 1:08 pm

vortico wrote:
Sun Oct 14, 2018 10:27 am
fmr wrote:

That is not quite right. When Rack 2.0 is released, a new fork of Rack will be available as a VST plugin for around $99. This is simply because supporting a large VST plugin is exorbitantly expensive. VCV Rack will remain open-source.
Thanks for the clarification :-) Anyway, I stand for what I wrote before, in that considering all that we get (and already got for free), I will gladly pay for it.
Fernando (FMR)

Return to “Instruments”