The Vurt Weirdness Tribute Thread

Share your music, collaborate, and partake in monthly music contests.
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Vurt, I'm creating this thread for two reasons.

1. To show you that there is still a little bit of playfulness in me.

2. For others to show off their "weird" stuff.

Okay folks, here are the rules for this thread. Simple.

No pop, rock, EDM, ambient, Trance or whatever genre you're into. Listen to the stuff that Vurt posts here. Modular noodling. That's the rules. Show us your weirdest stuff and make Vurt proud to be among such company.

Anyway, to my track.

This was done with Softube Modular. 19 modules total.

Here are the main ones:

MI Braids
Spectral Multiband Resonator
Ring Modulator
A-188-1 BBD Module
VCF
VCA
ADSR
3 VCLFOs
Delay
11 Performance Controls

One note held down for the entire piece. Listen to all the variations. This patch was a lot of fun to create.

I kept the piece relatively short (about 10 minutes) so it wouldn't be too demanding on time.

Hope you like it.

https://soundcloud.com/steven-wagenheim ... -dialed-in

Wouldn't say that was weird.. Kinda relaxing actually :tu:

Maybe needs a hint more reverb to my taste..

Distorted Horizon wrote: Wed Oct 17, 2018 1:45 pm Wouldn't say that was weird.. Kinda relaxing actually :tu:

Maybe needs a hint more reverb to my taste..
I do not own a Softube reverb unit and this was done with no external FX. It will ultimately be part of the demo for my new library coming out in November.

have i died? :o
tbh i was hoping for wings or something. seems its just like before...

checking.

i enjoyed that
some cool tones in there, lots of those sci fi sounds 8)

impressed its one note, quite a lot going on considering you don't have any sequencing i can hear going on, lots of lfo movement though, which is where modulars come alive :D

hoping to add the second mantis case soon. just waiting on the charity auction, see if i win anything there. otherwise ill order the bits elsewhere when i get the case :hihi:

small v though ;) :hihi:

vurt wrote: Wed Oct 17, 2018 7:25 pm i enjoyed that

impressed its one note, quite a lot going on considering you don't have any sequencing i can hear going on, lots of lfo movement though, which is where modulars come alive :D

hoping to add the second mantis case soon. just waiting on the charity auction, see if i win anything there. otherwise ill order the bits elsewhere when i get the case :hihi:

The key to all that's going on is the 11 performance sliders all tied to LFOs and the BBD module. That was basically real time with automation record and playback because I don't know how to record live through a DAW yet.

Good luck with your auction Vurt. Hope you get what you're looking for.

wagtunes wrote: Wed Oct 17, 2018 7:33 pm
vurt wrote: Wed Oct 17, 2018 7:25 pm i enjoyed that

The key to all that's going on is the 11 performance sliders all tied to LFOs and the BBD module. That was basically real time with automation record and playback because I don't know how to record live through a DAW yet.
dunno how others do it, if im recording within the daw though as opposed to audio from outside, i use guitar rig on the master channel, with the loop machine under "tools" in components.

Good luck with your auction Vurt. Hope you get what you're looking for.

if i don't, the charity gets more money, so either way its a win :D

wagtunes wrote: Wed Oct 17, 2018 7:33 pm real time with automation record and playback because I don't know how to record live through a DAW yet.
I suppose you mean that you don't know how to manipulate your external instrument using the tools of the DAW (which may include using other external devices through the DAW).

As vurt touched on, I would put it through a plugin in order to establish parameters for automation.

I've only done live guitar which at most was using the Stealth Pedal for expression (volume pedal, in fact) or wah.

I don't know how to set Cubase up for an external controller to do anything but channel strip volume/pan or MIDI.
Quick Controls or VST Controls only learns MIDi afaict.

anyway, this is weird, probably. I don't have any interesting things to say about how I did it other than I'm pretty comfortable with pitch bend. Or except that to me there are two cadences, as dense and dissonant as the sonority gets.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jL6BWJg ... s&index=54

oh, btw the graphic is not supposed to be a cross or religious, but a crossroads. And not THAT crossroads.

nice use of modular !! :) :clap: :tu:

Return to “Music Cafe”