What drum machine/samples/synth did Type O Negative use?

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

I'm trying to recreate TON for my YouTube channel from October Rust.

There is a lot of info here but I think most are controllers and I'm not that clued up on synths and what is the actual module etc.

https://sites.google.com/site/tawananbd/ton-gear

Are there any free VST modules that can get me that cool slightly dated vibe?

The specific track I'm doing is this
https://youtu.be/MaZmTuM85nQ

The synths don't kick in until the latter half of the song. I have the guitars nailed but I'm struggling with the drum and synth matching.

Looks like live drums rather than drum machine/samples according to the gear list, mostly maple shells with an emphasis on "big" rather than "tight" on the drum sound so you could probably look for a similar specced sampled kit for that.

From the keyboard list, the only two synths mentioned are the DX7 and Korg M1 so you have the free Dexed or the Arturia version for the former and Korg's VST version for the latter but pretty sure you could get similar sounds from any FM vst for the DX sounds and, given that the M1 was basically sample based, any sampler with basic subtractive synth capabilities and similar basic late 80s sample sets.

I am very interested in this as well. Drums were programmed for October rust, World coming down, and Life is killing me. I can’t believe how good the drums sound given the primitive technology of the time. I would guess it is hardware samplers with custom home made samples.

i adore the drums on October Rust. Would love to know the machine that produced them. The Hardcore Gothik kit in Battery 3 actually kinda comes close...but not the kick.

Try Alesis HR-16 or some VSTi emulation... :-)

Thanks guys. Great info.

Good Stuff! Thanks.

I used Reason embedded in Pro Tools with some great live samples. It sounded pretty damn real.

Return to “Instruments”