Can KORG Gadget iOS be used to MIDI sequence KORG Odyssei (and similar apps)?

For iOS (iPhone, iPad & iPod), Android, Windows Phone, etc. App and Hardware talk
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Quick question regarding Korg Gadget for iPad (hence iOS version).

Can you use this app to access other apps such as KORG Odyssei, and sequence them with MIDI notes? You can access KORG Odyssei with Garageband, but only to record audio as far as I am aware. Wondering if you can use Gadget to access other instrument apps and sequence them, essentially.

As an aside, I’m also wondering what the standard price of iOS Gadget is? I saw that there is a sale on it until 30th October, but it is listed at about £38 in the app store. Maybe the sale is for other operating systems?

Liney wrote: Tue Oct 23, 2018 11:55 am Quick question regarding Korg Gadget for iPad (hence iOS version).

Can you use this app to access other apps such as KORG Odyssei, and sequence them with MIDI notes? You can access KORG Odyssei with Garageband, but only to record audio as far as I am aware. Wondering if you can use Gadget to access other instrument apps and sequence them, essentially.

As an aside, I’m also wondering what the standard price of iOS Gadget is? I saw that there is a sale on it until 30th October, but it is listed at about £38 in the app store. Maybe the sale is for other operating systems?
Korg has a few of their iOS plugins that are compatible with Gadget iOS, but how it usually works is if you buy Arp Odyssei (which is currently $29.99 USD), you get a scaled down version in Gadget called Lexington, which wouldn't be available otherwise. Inside Gadget, you can play it via the onscreen keyboard or a MIDI hardware controller like all Gadgets, as well as record MIDI data into Gadget's sequencer.

It's not an AU, though, so you can't use it in Garageband iOS and record MIDI into GB's sequencer. It does support Inter-App Audio and Audiobus 2, though.

The regular price for Gadget iOS is $39.99 USD, and they usually put it on sale around the holidays or special events. Sounds like £38 is regular price for your region - that's not sale. I picked it up for $19.99 USD on sale most recently, but many of the newer Gadgets are in-app-purchases in addition to that. They sometimes go on sale, too.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Win 10 | Ableton Live 11 Suite | Reason 12 | i7 3770 @ 3.5 Ghz | 16 GB RAM | RME Babyface Pro| Akai MPC Live II & Akai Force | Roland System 8 | Roland TR-8 with 7x7 Expansion | Roland TB-3 | Roland MX-1 | Dreadbox Typhon | Korg Minilogue XD

Cheers for the info! That certainly answers all my questions...I've already purchased Odyssei, buy can only access it on my iPhone at present, which isn't very satifactory. Looking to use it with a sequencer on my new iPad, and then I can port patches over to my iMac and use KORGs Odyssey AU pluggin.

Thanks again, think I'll be getting Gadget...

Liney wrote: Tue Oct 23, 2018 3:01 pm Cheers for the info! That certainly answers all my questions...I've already purchased Odyssei, buy can only access it on my iPhone at present, which isn't very satifactory. Looking to use it with a sequencer on my new iPad, and then I can port patches over to my iMac and use KORGs Odyssey AU pluggin.

Thanks again, think I'll be getting Gadget...
Gadget iOS is pretty sweet - I feel it's what the mobile version of Reason should have been like at launch. It's probably one of the funnest and feature packed mobile (iOS) DAW's out there, but its approach to composing isn't for everyone. It's clip based, and then you build song arrangements from the clips. Audio recording is handled inside of a Gadget that may not be to everyone's taste, but it works well enough. I love it.
Win 10 | Ableton Live 11 Suite | Reason 12 | i7 3770 @ 3.5 Ghz | 16 GB RAM | RME Babyface Pro| Akai MPC Live II & Akai Force | Roland System 8 | Roland TR-8 with 7x7 Expansion | Roland TB-3 | Roland MX-1 | Dreadbox Typhon | Korg Minilogue XD

Gadget doesn't have MIDI out, only in. If you want to use the app you got but don't want Gadget, then there's AUM+Xequence, or AEW, or Auria, or Cubasis, or Stagelight (?), or ....

Return to “Mobile Apps and Hardware”