3.0.x startup issue (fixed in 3.0.4). + Various things

Official support for: tx16wx.com
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Having the same issue with 3.0.0, 3.0.1, 3.0.2 and now 3.0.3. I'm on Win8.1 using 64bit hosts.

Default installation (minus aax plugins) using default paths, over an existing 2.4.2d installation or after uninstalling the 2.4 version - both behave the same.

When loading an instance in FL Studio (presumably with the empty init preset) it just shows a Dialog window "Warning. Bad time unit: s+8.35s". This also happens when FL attempts to load the dll (vst2 or 3) while scanning for plugins - it results in both TX16Wx.dll and TX16Wx.vst3 being marked as "error" status.

In Bitwig the plugin errors out when it's being scanned in the background. If it was scanned as the 2.4.2d version and imported into the device list trying to create an instance of it delivers the same "Bad time unit: s+8.35s" warning message and never loads (although Bitwig complains about it taking too long and removes it from the list). So the behavior seems entirely host independent.

I don't know if there's some leftover setting in some hidden registry path that causes 3.0.x to attempt loading something it's very clearly choking on, but i have no idea how to fix it. Uninstalling does nothing. "Change"ing does nothing. "Repair"ing doesn't fix it. I don't know if there's any debugging logs that might have more specific info where those "8.35s" might be coming from.

The only fix is to manually uninstall the 3.0.x version and re-install the 2.4.2d setup.
Last edited by RoadCrewWorker on Wed Oct 24, 2018 4:01 pm, edited 2 times in total.

RoadCrewWorker wrote: Tue Oct 23, 2018 5:03 pm Having the same issue with 3.0.0, 3.0.1, 3.0.2 and now 3.0.3. I'm on Win8.1 using 64bit hosts.

Default installation (minus aax plugins) using default paths, over an existing 2.4.2d installation or after uninstalling the 2.4 version - both behave the same.

When loading an instance in FL Studio (presumably with the empty init preset) it just shows a Dialog window "Warning. Bad time unit: s+8.35s". This also happens when FL attempts to load the dll (vst2 or 3) while scanning for plugins - it results in both TX16Wx.dll and TX16Wx.vst3 being marked as "error" status.

In Bitwig the plugin errors out when it's being scanned in the background. If it was scanned as the 2.4.2d version and imported into the device list trying to create an instance of it delivers the same "Bad time unit: s+8.35s" warning message and never loads (although Bitwig complains about it taking too long and removes it from the list). So the behavior seems entirely host independent.

I don't know if there's some leftover setting in some hidden registry path that causes 3.0.x to attempt loading something it's very clearly choking on, but i have no idea how to fix it. Uninstalling does nothing. "Change"ing does nothing. "Repair"ing doesn't fix it. I don't know if there's any debugging logs that might have more specific info where those "8.35s" might be coming from.

The only fix is to manually uninstall the 3.0.x version and re-install the 2.4.2d setup.
Just a guess. Do you have any modulation presets in your AppData\Local\TX16Wx folder?
There could be some gunk data there. This should obviously not crash the plug-in, but it would be nice to know what is in the file.
TX16Wx Software Sampler:
http://www.tx16wx.com/

FWIW
Using plugin manager of FLS 20.0.5.Build 681 on 64 bit Win 7 Pro/SP1, do not see this issue for 3.03. Did total remove of 3.02 before install, so no exisiting .ini file...

This should be fixed in the 3.0.4 build.
The error comes from malformed modulation presets in <AppData>\Local\TX16Wx\presets\modulation. Actually an ancient TXv2 bug in generating them. Of course super lame to cause crash on VST scan.
TX16Wx Software Sampler:

elcallio wrote: Tue Oct 23, 2018 5:40 pm Just a guess. Do you have any modulation presets in your AppData\Local\TX16Wx folder?
There could be some gunk data there. This should obviously not crash the plug-in, but it would be nice to know what is in the file.
Right, there was something wonky

Code: Select all

[Global]
Source0=Midi CC 8
Via0=Aftertouch
Dest0=Wave Start
Scale0=+6.47s
ScaleTo0=+6.47s+8.35s
Frozen0=0
Source1=--
Via1=--
Dest1=--
Scale1=0.00
ScaleTo1=0.000.00
Frozen1=0
Source2=--
Via2=--
Dest2=--
Scale2=0.00
ScaleTo2=0.000.00
Frozen2=0
Source3=--
Via3=--
Dest3=--
Scale3=0.00
ScaleTo3=0.000.00
Frozen3=0
Source4=--
Via4=--
Dest4=--
Scale4=0.00
ScaleTo4=0.000.00
Frozen4=0
Source5=--
Via5=--
Dest5=--
Scale5=0.00
ScaleTo5=0.000.00
Frozen5=0
Source6=--
Via6=--
Dest6=--
Scale6=0.00
ScaleTo6=0.000.00
Frozen6=0
Source7=--
Via7=--
Dest7=--
Scale7=0.00
ScaleTo7=0.000.00
Frozen7=0
Source8=--
Via8=--
Dest8=--
Scale8=0.00
ScaleTo8=0.000.00
Frozen8=0
Source9=--
Via9=--
Dest9=--
Scale9=0.00
ScaleTo9=0.000.00
Frozen9=0
Source10=--
Via10=--
Dest10=--
Scale10=0.00
ScaleTo10=0.000.00
Frozen10=0
Source11=--
Via11=--
Dest11=--
Scale11=0.00
ScaleTo11=0.000.00
Frozen11=0
Source12=--
Via12=--
Dest12=--
Scale12=0.00
ScaleTo12=0.000.00
Frozen12=0
Source13=--
Via13=--
Dest13=--
Scale13=0.00
ScaleTo13=0.000.00
Frozen13=0
Source14=--
Via14=--
Dest14=--
Scale14=0.00
ScaleTo14=0.000.00
Frozen14=0
Source15=--
Via15=--
Dest15=--
Scale15=0.00
ScaleTo15=0.000.00
Frozen15=0
That ScaleTo0 value looks like the culprit (i guess the 2 numbers without delimiter aren't supposed to have the "s" postfix?), but i never edited the file myself (i didn't even know it existed), so i guess an older version serialized something wrong and apparently it isn't removed by a hard 2.4.2d uninstaller either.

I nuked the TX16Wx appdata folder and it seems to have fixed it, though behavior like this makes me really wish all plugins kept to their folder and didn't puke a million files across my system (and across non-ssd drives). If they can't keep track of them how should i?

Otherwise this update looks pretty good - 1080p gui alone is very handy.

I've ran into some weird behavior when loading projects including old 2.4.2d data where it seems to scramble all the samples between zones, but i'll have to do some more testing to see what's going on there - maybe just some setting i need to restore. Testing is a bit obnoxious because i can't just juggle a few dlls but need to run the uninstaller/installers for each switch.

When loading TXv2 material, TXv3 will try to merge groups that look like they where created solely for mapping reasons (i.e. discontiguous ranges etc), to reduce the number of objects in a program. It should not affect sound however (i.e. only equivalent groups are merged).
TX16Wx Software Sampler:

After a bit of testing it seems there's something wonky with how it parses performances and multiple programs from a v2 vst state serialized as part of a project. If i make sure to properly save the txperf and (more importantly) txprog files from v2.4.2d and load those up manually in 3.0.4 everything looks and sounds ok (and the group merging seems correct.)

Also am i missing something or is the group "scaling" attribute gone? The only thing replacing it is the "Engine" attribute which doesn't seem to offer any actual options. That seems like an odd regression.

RoadCrewWorker wrote: Wed Oct 24, 2018 9:32 am After a bit of testing it seems there's something wonky with how it parses performances and multiple programs from a v2 vst state serialized as part of a project. If i make sure to properly save the txperf and (more importantly) txprog files from v2.4.2d and load those up manually in 3.0.4 everything looks and sounds ok (and the group merging seems correct.)
If you have a project file that seems to load in a "wonky" state, please send it to me along with an explanation on what seems wrong. The process is in general the same, but data might vary.
RoadCrewWorker wrote: Wed Oct 24, 2018 9:32 am Also am i missing something or is the group "scaling" attribute gone? The only thing replacing it is the "Engine" attribute which doesn't seem to offer any actual options. That seems like an odd regression.
"scale" is replaced by "keycents", that simply let you set exactly how many cents to transpose per MIDI key. (Negative fine). I.e. it is no longer restricted to a fixed set of values.
TX16Wx Software Sampler:

elcallio wrote: Wed Oct 24, 2018 9:55 am If you have a project file that seems to load in a "wonky" state, please send it to me along with an explanation on what seems wrong. The process is in general the same, but data might vary.
I don't want to disclose the projects i was working on, but i can see if i can replicate the behavior in a minimalistic test project.
elcallio wrote: Wed Oct 24, 2018 9:55 am "scale" is replaced by "keycents", that simply let you set exactly how many cents to transpose per MIDI key. (Negative fine). I.e. it is no longer restricted to a fixed set of values.
Alright, that works great - as long as the region has a defined root key set, otherwise it doesn't do anything. "Ks.Ct" might not be the most intuitive label for that though.

I have a few other questions (mostly about the workflow for the Waves - Sampler section) and usability suggestions but that's getting a bit off-topic by this point. The original issue has been identified and addressed.

Ks.Ct is to make the columns fit. :-)
I'd be happy to open up FR discussions once the immediate issues are dealt with. Glad things are starting to work for you.
TX16Wx Software Sampler:

Alright, in that case i'll just drop a few notes i've been taking while testing with the new version. Any or all of those might just be user error.

-middle-mouse-hold scrolling in the region and wave display is great, but a middle-mouse-hold zoom (forward and back) with the mouse would make it even better (right now that axis is unused). Mousewheel zoom/+- buttons 200% or 50% are a bit too coarse occasionally and often drastically shift the view offset. Try zooming in once (shows first half), moving the view to the end of the sample (shows second half), then zooming in once again - suddenly the display shows the second quarter of the sample. Another zoom in and now it shows the second eighth. There's not even any overlap between those sections.
-Scrolling very far into the sample window and then moving the "start"/"End" markers around causes visual glitches.

-Sampler "Midi generator" mode lets you define a midi channel out. I can't get the vst3 version to put out midi (that's almost certainly a host issue), vst2.4 works. More confusingly while the plugin exposes 12 audio-outs to the host, it doesn't seem to have an audio-in despite the TX ui showing a selectable "In 1"? The manual mentions an "input bus" but the plugins are always identified as vsti's, and not vst-effects that i can route audio into.

-e: got confused which "Start" parameter is automated in the matrix window. I guess there's 2 distinct ones (one on the "Sound" section and one in the "Waves" display).
-Related: a way to type in the start/end times in s, ms or maybe even tempo synched would be great. Right now the translation of samples into ms (that's used in other parts of the sampler or the automation links) isn't trivial and i mostly have to eye-ball it.
-Better alternative: allow normalized value automation ranges of 0-1 or 0-100% of certain things (like sample size)?
-Can be a bit hard to tell which automation sources are bipolar and which are unipolar.

-A significant number of ".wav" samples i tried can't be imported and gives the error "Wave data length missmatch". On further inspection these are actually "ogg vorbis (mode1)" encoded files with variable bitrates, they play fine in any mediaplayer and can be imported fine in the DAW samplers. On the other hand TX opens regular .ogg files ("Vorbis" Codec) just fine. I'm not sure this is TX's problem to solve or handle more gracefully, but maybe the error message might be more descriptive?

-The ability to "tap" the bpm (approximately) would be a nice addition to the automatic detection.

-Sometimes things get weird about polyphony. Using Poly mode (program polyphony either -- or very very high) and "no choke group" 0 i sometimes seem to have a max polyphony of 2, and if i set it to anything higher (1-8) it completely mutes the output - but the waves window sample preview still plays. Gonna investigate.

I've also run into a state that kept freezing my entire host despite only using a single sample with 1 loop and a basic lfo-pitch automation, but the audio was still playing a 2 bar scrambled midi buffer? It was probably the weirdest vst breakdown i've seen in a while.

I'm gonna need a break and actually be productive for a bit. I'll go over this post and make edits once i stumble on other stuff or obvious solutions that i'm just too tired to see now.

-3.0.5 edit:
Putting a loop with crossfade on a sample that's playing reversed probably doesn't quite sound like it's intended? (addendum: can be addressed with the various loop types)

Return to “CWITEC”