Illusion - new reverb from LiquidSonics

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Effects Discussion
RELATED
PRODUCTS
Illusion

yellowmix wrote: Tue Oct 30, 2018 6:52 am IIRC, Fusion-IR is proprietary and patented, so even if it were reverse-engineered, could not legally be used by anything other than Reverberate 2 (or 3 or whatever) or licensees (ostensibly the license would limit what Fusion-IRs could be used) until the patent expires.
I doubt that. Normally a mere format description cannot be patented. Similar to MP3 what might be patented is a process to encode and decode a Fusion IR. No specific MP3 file has ever been under patent protection, so no owner of "illegal" mp3 was ever accused of patent infringement (that were all about copyright infringements). If it is patented then the patent description is public. At first glance could not find it, neither under Liquidsonics nor under Matthew Hill. Furthermore protection is valid only in that specific country where the patent has been granted. To make it short: If the format is known, everybody can do a Fusion IR, only you are prohibited to do it exactly like it is written in the claims of a granted patent (if there is one) in that country where the patent is granted.

VariKusBrainZ wrote: Mon Oct 29, 2018 12:30 pm Well is sounds lovely.

Comparing it with 7th Heaven, Reverberate and HD Cart (which has a much louder output than the others incidentally) it sounds completely different......
True,
I like the way Illusion can add some authentic space to a sampled instrument.
Here is a sampled Cello that needed something to bring some life to it.
The complexity that Illusion allows really makes the sample sound much more musical.

https://soundcloud.com/synth-presets-co ... sic-hall-4

jazzist wrote: Wed Nov 07, 2018 7:09 am To make it short: If the format is known, everybody can do a Fusion IR, only you are prohibited to do it exactly like it is written in the claims of a granted patent (if there is one) in that country where the patent is granted.
If there is no patent, anyone can make a Fusion-IR like plugin with their own file specification right now.

Honestly, I'm thinking it's got nothing to do with any of that. Writing technical documentation and tutorials and process documents isn't exactly fun, and like I said, the concept is probably being continually refined, so writing to an old version makes it less fun. Solo developers have to have a passion for their product and we've seen two or three new products since Reverberate 2. So customers understandably simply want to know if the product is as-is at this point. Simple and reasonable question, right?

robotmonkey wrote: Mon Oct 29, 2018 4:18 pm So... is it better than a Valhalla reverb?
All I can say is LiquidSonics latest reverbs are among the very best software reverbs right now. Do you need it or is it indistinguishable from Valhala in your production is another question.

lolilol1975 wrote: Fri Nov 09, 2018 2:27 am
robotmonkey wrote: Mon Oct 29, 2018 4:18 pm So... is it better than a Valhalla reverb?
All I can say is LiquidSonics latest reverbs are among the very best software reverbs right now. Do you need it or is it indistinguishable from Valhala in your production is another question.

Yes, they are.
A good test of quality for any reverb is believably.
Here is another example of Illusion.
The cello sample was a bit lifeless, but the space Illusion brings to it makes it sound much more authentic and less like a sample.

https://soundcloud.com/synth-presets-co ... ood-room-8

yellowmix wrote: Thu Nov 08, 2018 7:07 am So customers understandably simply want to know if the product is as-is at this point. Simple and reasonable question, right?
Yes, honestly I also think it would be nice to have native support as suggested by liquidsonics when Reverberate 2 was introduced. Just wanted to clarify some misconceptions about patents as this can be a difficult topic. Probably there could even be a port between a snapshot of an Illusion reverb and Reverberate 2?

lolilol1975 wrote: Fri Nov 09, 2018 2:27 am
I'm definitely interested in this reverb. but also seeing that 2cAudio has a sale on (and i have wanted B2 for ages) its a tough call.
I suppose in my mind i have taught myself that IR based reverbs can be great, but are a bit more sterile. but i assume that due to the way in which these IRs are synthesized, they have a lot more life?

Its certainly an interesting concept for sure.

This is definitely not a sterile sounding reverb. I had B2 here on demo and whilst I really like it, Illusion was my favourite.

I have had the opposite experience, liking B2 much more than Illusion (which I decided not to buy after demoing – it probably depends on personal tastes and on the kind of music one is making), but the fact that the IR are much more lively with the techniques used by LiquidSonics is really true, for sure (I have Reverberate and I had already observed this in it).
Last edited by XComposer on Wed Jan 09, 2019 5:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.

I've been using Illusion for a few months and to me the biggest annoyance is having to dig through a cascade of menus to select an ER pattern, which I consider one of the most important parameters in any space modelling reverb.

So i finally checked it out (I totally forgot i had activated the trial 5 days ago, now only have 10 days to demo!) but man. All i can say is wow. The early reflections on this sound so natural. I really, really love the layout too. Theres a lot to take in at first, but it makes total sense and is super quick once you know what is where.
For me this is more for breathtaking clarity and realness - rather than classic, dense, modulated sounds (as one would expect, given the design details) but all in all, this is a great product. It definitely does not lack character either!!
Super angry at myself now for missing the intro sale.

DavidCarlyon wrote: Tue Jan 08, 2019 6:09 pm So i finally checked it out (I totally forgot i had activated the trial 5 days ago, now only have 10 days to demo!) but man. All i can say is wow. The early reflections on this sound so natural. I really, really love the layout too. Theres a lot to take in at first, but it makes total sense and is super quick once you know what is where.
For me this is more for breathtaking clarity and realness - rather than classic, dense, modulated sounds (as one would expect, given the design details) but all in all, this is a great product. It definitely does not lack character either!!
Yep my experience is the same :tu:

dickiefunk wrote: Tue Jan 08, 2019 9:50 pm
DavidCarlyon wrote: Tue Jan 08, 2019 6:09 pm So i finally checked it out (I totally forgot i had activated the trial 5 days ago, now only have 10 days to demo!) but man. All i can say is wow. The early reflections on this sound so natural. I really, really love the layout too. Theres a lot to take in at first, but it makes total sense and is super quick once you know what is where.
Yep my experience is the same :tu:
Yeah, its a real bummer to be honest. It's really clicked with me instantly. Made even harder by the fact that i missed the sale and 2caudio has a sale on the whole perfect storm bundle for not much over a few hundred bucks. Man thats gonna be tough. Really trying to make the most of all the sales that have been on, before we go back to normal. So i just dont know if i can justify it at the minute. Damn, what a reverb though...and i don't impress too easily with reverbs!

The more I use this reverb, the more I like it.
It stands up very well in the test of time.

Yeah i found it really impressive. Really want it still. Will pull the trigger soon. Just been holding out incase there is another sale.
It is at the top of my list, along with Rapid synth

Return to “Effects”