Using Laptop as additional monitor for 2012 cheese grater mac pro?

Configure and optimize you computer for Audio.
InsertNameHere
KVRist
33 posts since 12 May, 2014

Post Tue Nov 06, 2018 3:58 am

Anyone have any advice for how to use a macbook pro as additional monitor for a cheese grater mac pro? Anyone successfully doing so have any recommendations?

BertKoor
KVRAF
10732 posts since 8 Mar, 2005 from Utrecht, Holland

Re: Using Laptop as additional monitor for 2012 cheese grater mac pro?

Post Tue Nov 06, 2018 4:38 am

I googled for "mac pro remote desktop" and this was one of the results:
https://www.howtogeek.com/ ... /3-free-ways-to-remotely-connect-to-your-macs-desktop/
We are the KVR collective. Resistance is futile. You will be assimilated. Image
My MusicCalc is back online!!

InsertNameHere
KVRist

Post Wed Nov 07, 2018 4:14 am

Not looking for Remote Desktop (which mirrors your current monitors) but using the MacBook Pro as an additional 2nd monitor. There use to be a program called ScreenRecycler but unfortunately it no longer works in os10.12

BertKoor
KVRAF
10732 posts since 8 Mar, 2005 from Utrecht, Holland

Post Wed Nov 07, 2018 4:19 am

[edit] Nevermind, seems like abandonware indeed...
Isn't the "Target Display mode" something you could try?
https://support.apple.com/el-gr/HT204592
Or AirServer / AirPlay?
We are the KVR collective. Resistance is futile. You will be assimilated. Image
My MusicCalc is back online!!

LGK_Dude
KVRian
950 posts since 30 Dec, 2005

Post Wed Nov 07, 2018 11:39 am

looks like target display is imac only. Following as I always need more screen realestate.
My progressive rock band - free demos here!! (and if you do listen please let me know what you think!) http://www.aeonsatori.com/news/free-downloads

InsertNameHere
KVRist

Post Wed Nov 07, 2018 11:50 am

Target display seemed like the answer, but unfortunately, for whatever reason, its iMac only! DARN! I guess its for imac only for hardware reasons (if you imac monitor breaks they need to give you a way to still use your computer) but why not extend it across all macs? I really wish ScreenRecycler still worked. Contacted the developer and he said that the development kit changed in the later OS's and he can no longer develop the software because of it.

There are many programs out there that can turn your iPad into another display, but cant seem to find anything that works for turning your macbook into an additional display for my desktop. I guess its a very niche need as for most people they are not looking to use their laptop as an additional display, but rather just see whats on their desktop on their laptop via remote desktop as you suggested earlier.

Anyway thanks for joining me in the google rabbit hole BerKoor. If you do find a solution I'd love to hear it, but for now I think I'll just keep working without it.

Tj Shredder
KVRian
1395 posts since 6 Jan, 2017 from Outer Space

Post Sat Nov 10, 2018 7:57 am

One way to do it, connect a dummy display adapter to the pro, that makes it think there is a display. Then connect to that display via remote desktop. I use such a setup to connect to my headless Mac Pro from my Macbook Air. This allows me to leave an extra monitor at home when I need that power on stage...
Its slow though, but good enough to see whats going on...

Return to “Computer Setup and System Configuration”