Feedback on an older-style trance track

Share your music, collaborate, and partake in monthly music contests.
TW1306
KVRist
37 posts since 23 Apr, 2017

Post Thu Nov 08, 2018 5:10 am

The first full-length project I've finished in about four months...

Looking for any advice/feedback on things like mixing, EQ, structure etc, I'm going for an authentic 1999-2002 ish kind of sound.

https://soundcloud.com/spatial-sound/tr ... -2/s-j8jAD

Any feedback would be grateful!

Vortifex
KVRian
923 posts since 1 Sep, 2016

Re: Feedback on an older-style trance track

Post Thu Nov 08, 2018 6:05 am

First thing I noticed was it's too slow, probably 130-ish bpm. Trance at that time was usually between 135-140, mostly at the higher end. I felt it could have kicked off a little earlier, if it started at 0:46 when the main kick came in I think it would have flowed better. Tunes back then often did have those long-ish intros for the DJ, but most trance tunes were usually well on their way by the first minute.

The square/tri sound you chose for the main lead is atypical for the genre at that time, back then it was all about those big saw leads (as it still is today). If you're going for authenticity I'd speed it up to at least 135 and replace the lead sound with a nice fat saw.

You actually did a pretty good job with the percussion, bass, and overall structure. A few tweaks and you've got a legit oldschool trance tune.

layzer
KVRAF
5644 posts since 11 Jun, 2006

Post Thu Nov 08, 2018 7:43 am

Vortifex wrote:
Thu Nov 08, 2018 6:05 am
The square/tri sound you chose for the main lead is atypical for the genre at that time, back then it was all about those big saw leads
ummm thats hardly a lead, its more an arp than anything else.
as Cham would say... it NEEDS a lead.

pretty good mix.
HW SYNTHS [KORG T2EX - AKAI AX80 - YAMAHA SY77 - ENSONIQ VFX]
HW MODULES [OBi M1000 - ROLAND MKS-50 - ROLAND JV880 - KURZ 1000PX]
SW [CHARLATAN - OBXD - OXE - ELEKTRO - MICROTERA - M1 - SURGE - RMiV]
DAW [ENERGY XT2/1U RACK WINXP / MAUDIO 1010LT PCI]

Afilion
KVRer
6 posts since 2 Oct, 2014 from Burlington, ON, CA

Post Fri Nov 09, 2018 11:45 am

It's great but I think it needs a catchier hook/melody :)
http://afilion.ca
Facebook, Twitter & SoundCloud @afilionmusic

DJ Warmonger
KVRAF
2848 posts since 7 Jun, 2012 from Warsaw

Post Fri Nov 09, 2018 12:03 pm

The square/tri sound you chose for the main lead is atypical for the genre at that time, back then it was all about those big saw leads (as it still is today).
Nope, absolutely Agree with layzer. This is not an eurotrance track, it's progressive and very true to the style I'd say. No complains here. Actually I miss classic progressive tunes like that ;(

The mix is good indeed, given that you used pretty minimal and thin sounds as a base. The intro needs more love to sound bigger. Also the pad gets very muddy - probably EQ issue. Lead feels artifically widened, very odd in general.
http://djwarmonger.wordpress.com/
Tricky-Loops wrote: (...)someone like Armin van Buuren who claims to make a track in half an hour and all his songs sound somewhat boring(...)

Vortifex
KVRian
923 posts since 1 Sep, 2016

Post Sat Nov 10, 2018 2:45 pm

I was thinking of stuff like Lange or Gouryella, the Binary Finary remixes and so on, but yeah, I guess it's closer to the progressive stuff. Been a long time since I listened to any, actually.

Return to “Music Cafe”