Another Mac Mini thread...late 2012 - how to boost performance.

Configure and optimize you computer for Audio.
Bodhisan
KVRist
471 posts since 7 Aug, 2015 from H2O

Post Fri Nov 09, 2018 7:59 am

Honestly, I'm not unhappy with how this performs with the latest OS and Logic. There are times I need to bounce to audio - but rarely, to avoid error messages. A couple of years ago I put in more RAM (I think it totals 8 now). That said, if I can make things a bit faster, especially with switching between projects or even pulling up my template, why not?

Mine is the 2.5GHz i5. I'm aware I can put in an SSD replacement, but it almost seems easier to just use one externally as the boot drive? Also (and maybe this tells you I'm not that tech educated, because this might be related to a new SSD), in the Apple specs, it says that the late 2012 is configurable to 2.6GHz quad-core Intel Core i7 (Turbo Boost up to 3.6GHz). How do you do that?

Any suggestions?

Tj Shredder
KVRian
1395 posts since 6 Jan, 2017 from Outer Space

Re: Another Mac Mini thread...late 2012 - how to boost performance.

Post Sat Nov 10, 2018 8:24 am

The i7 is built to order. You did it by buying one...
You can‘t beat an internal ssd! Big boost... If you want the max, put in a ssd and up the ram to 16...
With the help of ifixit.com you can DIY...
If you want even more, sell it and get the new 6-core...; - )

Bodhisan
KVRist
471 posts since 7 Aug, 2015 from H2O

Re: Another Mac Mini thread...late 2012 - how to boost performance.

Post Sun Nov 11, 2018 6:41 am

Thank you for your help - and validation. After posting, I found this video, which is what I did (receiving same day from Amazon - a Samsung T5, is so futuristic):

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N-pMh6PmTc8

I have to say - wow. My projects load up so much faster - 15 seconds compared to a minute, and when I switch from one project to another, there used to be about a ten- to 15-second lag time with the spinning icon, but now it's instantaneous - no lag time at all. All my apps open faster, including access to the internet and getting a youtube video to play - there used to be a lag with that, as well; not now. Was not expecting that. Was it worth $125? It is a bit of a luxury, but, hell, yeah. BTW, none of my plugins required a reauthorization for "changing" computers. Using the above guy's advice (I enjoyed his rather humorous instruction), migration using Apple's set up of the OS on the SSD was painless and required no second party copying device. While he chose not to copy the documents section, I did, knowing I had some things on there plugin-wise that I might wish I'd had. I can always delete stuff I don't need from the new boot disc.

I've done a lot of research on the RAM, and while Apple says Logic can run on 4, most say 8 is plenty for the type of music I do and amount of tracks I use.

Bottom line: :tu: - especially using DanceTech's video.

Postscript: Past - when I would open a project and hit play, the system would overload and I'd get an error message. Maybe a couple of times, but then it wouldn't happen again. Present - plays without initial overload error.

Extra bonus well worth $125*: When I synch my phone, instead of taking between 4-7 minutes, it's now just a minute.

*This show you how lazy and impatient with technology I've gotten.

Return to “Computer Setup and System Configuration”