What exactly is going on under the hood when I toggle on "Force MPE Mode"?

Official support for: bitwig.com
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Would love to know the details...

thanks,

Greg

So far what I know is this:
This toggle (or actually “use mpe” as it is now called) tells a vst to listen to midi data differently. Mainly it tells a plugin to listen to all channels of midi and so it can have a different pitch bend signal per channel as well as channel pressure and cc74 etc per channel. This allows a plugin to interpret the pitch bend per note data and other mpe data that is drawn or recorded. But if the plugin doesn’t support mpe or multichannel midi then the data will confuse the plugin.

Echoes in the Attic wrote: Sun Nov 11, 2018 7:14 pm So far what I know is this:
This toggle (or actually “use mpe” as it is now called) tells a vst to listen to midi data differently. Mainly it tells a plugin to listen to all channels of midi and so it can have a different pitch bend signal per channel as well as channel pressure and cc74 etc per channel. This allows a plugin to interpret the pitch bend per note data and other mpe data that is drawn or recorded. But if the plugin doesn’t support mpe or multichannel midi then the data will confuse the plugin.
thank you! From what you are saying that it sounds something similar to channel rotation that I've seen mentioned with the Linnstrument (and some McMillen keyboards). Hmmm. interesting. Hope this information will make it all go a little better. Seems like every synth I own that can do (or kinda do) MPE has unique way of getting it to work to get the most out of the Seaboard.

Unfortunately 2.4.2 is rotating midi channels instead of just keeping them as they come in. An old bug reintroduced. I hope they‘ll fix it in the next update...

Tj Shredder wrote: Thu Nov 15, 2018 9:05 am Unfortunately 2.4.2 is rotating midi channels instead of just keeping them as they come in. An old bug reintroduced. I hope they‘ll fix it in the next update...
I hope it's a bug not a feature :dog:

Tj Shredder wrote: Thu Nov 15, 2018 9:05 am Unfortunately 2.4.2 is rotating midi channels instead of just keeping them as they come in. An old bug reintroduced. I hope they‘ll fix it in the next update...
I assume you reported it...

nsq wrote: Thu Nov 15, 2018 12:14 pm
Confirmed bug...

pdxindy wrote: Thu Nov 15, 2018 3:15 pm
Confirmed bug...
I investigated a bit more and found out there is no bug, there is just a nasty trap!
2.4.2 just behaved unexpectedly different than 2.4....
When I loaded a MPE instrument into 2.4, it would play as expected as soon I switched on MPE mode. In 2.4.1 and 2.4.2 we have an additional setting in the track inspector. If you select the track, you can set the Midi channel! By default it is set to "Channel From All To 1". As soon you change that to "Channel From All To Same", all is fine...

I am happy again...

Tj Shredder wrote: Tue Nov 20, 2018 3:26 pm
pdxindy wrote: Thu Nov 15, 2018 3:15 pm
Confirmed bug...
I investigated a bit more and found out there is no bug, there is just a nasty trap!
2.4.2 just behaved unexpectedly different than 2.4....
When I loaded a MPE instrument into 2.4, it would play as expected as soon I switched on MPE mode. In 2.4.1 and 2.4.2 we have an additional setting in the track inspector. If you select the track, you can set the Midi channel! By default it is set to "Channel From All To 1". As soon you change that to "Channel From All To Same", all is fine...

I am happy again...
Sweet!! I just assumed it was the same bug that had happened previously... good you got it sorted!

Return to “Bitwig”