Why the iLok hate?

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Effects Discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Another reason for iLok (what everyone seems to forget) - you're not dependend on working activation servers. If the company gets bankrupt/insolvent, you can't activate your software anymore. With iLok, that's not an issue, since it's a local key.
Also, a flash drive (USB stick) only wears from writing processes, not from reading processes. What means, it should get broken only from weared contacts (what can be solved by using an extension cable), from physical damage (which is your own fault) or from overvoltage. For the latter, I got a USB hub with overvoltage protection. I have my iLok since several years now and it shows no sign of wear.
And if the iLok company closes its doors eventually, you should get an alternative activation method from the software vendors. At least if they want to stay in business.

I like iLok, because I change laptops every couple of years. In my perfect world, a serial is all I should need (God bless Urs Heckman). But online activiation with a limit is the devil. I wish all the software I had that requires online activiation was iLok or eLicenser enabled.

I have one package, Hauptwerk, that uses Alladin HASP, which sucks because HASP is for single applications only. Now if only I could convince Milan Digital Audio to support iLok so I could do everything with a single dongle. But HASP tends to be used more in live / industrial applications, and is rock solid. So I guess that makes sense for Hauptwerk, given its common use as the engine for permanent organ installations.

I didn't want iLok at first. I read a lot of stuff by people hating it.

Now I only find it very practical.

Anyone concerned about what it does behind the scenes should perhaps not use a Windows machine in the first place anyway.

sfd wrote: Sat Dec 08, 2018 5:52 pm I didn't want iLok at first. I read a lot of stuff by people hating it.

Anyone concerned about what it does behind the scenes should perhaps not use a Windows machine in the first place anyway.
How unbelievable wrong you are, as if Apple were even close as a better option, forcing updates, overpriced products with marketing and obnoxious politics, but it seems that this generation like to be submissive and servile to foreign and exteriors controls, there is no real liberty or independence in that way...
Last edited by JunSev on Sat Dec 08, 2018 6:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.

JunSev wrote: Sat Dec 08, 2018 6:44 pm
sfd wrote: Sat Dec 08, 2018 5:52 pm I didn't want iLok at first. I read a lot of stuff by people hating it.

How unbelievable wrong you are, as if Apple where even close as a better option, forcing updates, overpriced products with marketing and obnoxious politics, but it seems that this generation like to be submissive and servile to foreign and exteriors controls, there is no real liberty or independence in that way...
If Apple is evil that doesn't mean Microsoft is good.

Besides I use Linux for everyday computing.

sfd wrote: Sat Dec 08, 2018 6:52 pm

How unbelievable wrong you are, as if Apple where even close as a better option, forcing updates, overpriced products with marketing and obnoxious politics, but it seems that this generation like to be submissive and servile to foreign and exteriors controls, there is no real liberty or independence in that way...

By any means perhaps Microsoft is not any good, but apple definitely is not better option.

JunSev wrote: Sat Dec 08, 2018 6:54 pm
sfd wrote: Sat Dec 08, 2018 6:52 pm

By any means perhaps Microsoft is not any good, but apple definitely is not better option.
Given that Linus Torvalds is taking a break from Linux Kernel development for his abusive behavior to other project contributors...apparently OS development brings out the worst in all concerned. :lol:

Windows = Freedom. That's a hoot. You're a free thinker and strong because of a computer operating system choice, a product choice.
You're actually the perfect mark for TV advertisers if that's how you operate.

There's something in the air here?? wow

or is this the logical extreme following 'NO DONGLES! FIGHT THA POWAH!' ;)

No one is stating superiority or anything but some decisions really can tell the sort of mentality people have (sometimes).

For instances, do you have seen people who buy stuffs just to show what they have and talk about how much things they have? of course being unnecessary, but as you know "I have to show that I am" they buy it for that without see the specs, what certain products are offering or what contains, or if it is even justifiable.

The knowledge is important and the people should take the right path in order to not fall in exaggerated marketing strategies and false advertisement...

Edit: with all respect...

JunSev wrote: Sat Dec 08, 2018 9:03 pm No one is stating superiority or anything but some decisions really can tell the sort of mentality people have (sometimes).

For instances, do you have seen people who buy stuffs just to show what they have and talk about how much things they have? of course being unnecessary, but as you know "I have to show that I am" they buy it for that without see the specs, what certain products are offering or what contains, or if it is even justifiable.

The knowledge is important and the people should take the right path in order to not fall in exaggerated marketing strategies and false advertisement...

Correct - and knowledge is the reason why I'll do as Gareth Jones, Mark Elis (ala "Flood"), Brian Eno, Francois Kevorkian, Tony Visconti and the guys at the Hansa Studios did...pick an OSX as my next OS for my music system.

By the way. These people too use iLok.

sfd wrote: Sat Dec 08, 2018 9:47 pm
JunSev wrote: Sat Dec 08, 2018 9:03 pm No one is stating superiority or anything but some decisions really can tell the sort of mentality people have (sometimes).

Correct - and knowledge is the reason why I'll do as Gareth Jones, Mark Elis (ala "Flood"), Brian Eno, Francois Kevorkian, Tony Visconti and the guys at the Hansa Studios did...pick an OSX as my next OS for my music system.

And?... do you think that celebrity's choice or populism makes something the truth or reality?

You should judge things from a critical perspective and discern in a more accurate way, taking carefully the right decisions. Look how many views have some "music" in YouTube and just pay attention to all the garbage sometimes is transmitted, and then judge again if being a popular figure, manipulations, trends or advertisement makes something truth.

You're free to do as you prefer just open your eyes; with all respect sfd.

confusedmuse wrote: Fri Dec 07, 2018 11:41 pm Another reason for iLok (what everyone seems to forget) - you're not dependend on working activation servers. If the company gets bankrupt/insolvent, you can't activate your software anymore. With iLok, that's not an issue, since it's a local key.
Also, a flash drive (USB stick) only wears from writing processes, not from reading processes. What means, it should get broken only from weared contacts (what can be solved by using an extension cable), from physical damage (which is your own fault) or from overvoltage. For the latter, I got a USB hub with overvoltage protection. I have my iLok since several years now and it shows no sign of wear.
And if the iLok company closes its doors eventually, you should get an alternative activation method from the software vendors. At least if they want to stay in business.
False. iLok essentially turns software into hardware, and hardware can malfunction at any time. Simple serial will always be the best method of CP for the customer because they can make as many backup copies as they want for themselves.

Plenty of successful companies that have been around for years use simple serial as a solution, and they continue to grow their business while continuing to release new products. Not to mention the ones that have actually dropped Pace and have grown as well.

I could only imagine what Pace charges devs to use iLok. That in combination with putting off potential customers, and making things more difficult for the majority of existing ones doesn’t make much sense as far as I’m concerned because most of those who pirate probably aren’t going to buy regardless. It’s a loss for the company and a loss for genuine customers.

It’s obvious that companies that use iLok don’t have the customer’s best interest in mind. Good luck getting a license replacement or alternative license method once the dev is gone. That’s wishful thinking.
You are currently reading my signature.

JunSev wrote: Sat Dec 08, 2018 10:00 pm

And?... do you think that celebrity's choice or populism makes something the truth or reality?

You should judge things from a critical perspective and discern in a more accurate way, taking carefully the right decisions. Look how many views have some "music" in YouTube and just pay attention to all the garbage sometimes is transmitted, and then judge again if being a popular figure, manipulations, trends or advertisement makes something truth.

I don't refer to those people I mentioned for the sake of their celebrity. But rather for their professionalism, skills and knowledge that made them famous.

It do make some sense to listen to what professionals says. Steven Hawkins and Albert Einstein where celebrities too. So was Zola and Dostojevski. Their books are worth reading.

The reason Windows is so widely spread is that Microsoft made deals with hardware developers so that Windows was pre-installed on more or less every computer sold.

The waste majority of Windows users never even made a choice.

Interesting thing you said about some "music" on how many views it get's on YouTube.

Put Windows into that context and do your own judgement.

JunSev wrote: Sat Dec 08, 2018 10:00 pm

You're basically doing what you said you aren't, in an edit: disrespect. Your path and your preference for a computer operating system amounts to 'my aim is true' while us unfortunates who fail to see the true path - of using facking WINDOWS OS, FFS - are uncritical drones who could never manage to discern they're being marketed to.
I'll say it again: this argument is rather like a car commercial to me, the freedom of the open road can be yours if you choose to drive [/fill in the blank]. So it's just ironic to me.

You're so woke, aren't you. It's supposed to be critical thinking. Yeah, no.

No, your lecturing people is obnoxious, the whole tone of it, all of it. It's disrespectful, don't pretend it isn't by a glib disclaimer.

Muted, knock yourself out with a reply though.

Return to “Effects”