Why the iLok hate?

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Effects Discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Hi,

I just bought some Soundtoys here at the forum and some "new" Sonnox. Both uses iLok for protection. I have read a lot of posts (here and everywhere else), where someone swears off a whole plugin manufacturer just because it's using iLok and I really wonder why.
I got my stick for cheap with a slate subscription, have lots of more iLok stuff, and it is working flawlessly since then. My main system is a windows machine and I am using a Macbook on the road.
I used to play a lot of games and there have been a lot of very restrictive "copy protection" that really punishes only the paying customer, but iLok has been just very easy and non-problematic. Everything like demos, purchases and transfers worked within seconds, what else could you demand more?

That is why I really question the haters: Why all the hate? This is not meant as a "fanboy" question at all, but really seriously. What makes you think that missing all that manufacturers is better than having an iLok? Maybe I missed something, because I am using it for just a year now, so maybe I have missed some bad glitches? :ud:

Cheers
Mork

Well there are many reasons why many of us complain about Ilok/Pace, although don't get me wrong, I don't hate any company, is just the fact that everything that Ilok represent is disgusting in everything at such point that I can't support anymore companies that implement that Copy protection scheme; so to respond from my part why I don't like Ilok:

● You actually don't have keys or license, the license is owned from Ilok and you're dependent of Ilok/Pace. This means that if the company from where you got certain softwares died (as many times has occurred) you have limited or really a big deal cause your PC or laptop could die, and yes "your" license is gone and forget about recovery, is lost. could you just imagine how many companies disappear? Ilok is not a secure way to keep safe "your" licenses. even if the official company help you recover the liscence, still you are dependent of the promise of the company like: you only have the software if I'm still alive (is never guaranteed really, it can dissappear anytime).

● If you want additional protection because they messed up things, pay an additional fee constantly. so this is other way to secure your "liscences", in case your pc or laptop is stolen or died or whatever. I don't know how to call this really, because accident happens always, but the fact that I'm bound to pay additional fee for protection to "my liscences" is a bad practice. your liscences are limited and nothing will guarantee that in the next 5, 10 or 20 years your pc never will fail (imagine updates, accidents...). where for instance when you have your key from the company you could save it in case of problems like that in a external hard drive or your devices as long as you're the only owner.

So you can see why the way of how a copy protection schemes could affect the decision of many people including myself. What we really want to feel is that we are paying for our products and those products are not dependent of a system like this, that we can keep those key safe and we are not dependent of Ilok/Pace. we really have the product in this way, no with Ilok.

And so it begins again.

no, no necessity for that, the OP asked a question, and people will respond...

I don't hate manufacturers but over the years I've had mixed fortunes with instability related to ilok. Just don't go anywhere near it these days. No big deal

I like iLok & eLicenser. But I'm also none of these fancy producer-kiddies going out with their notebook, trying to lose all the stuff they're caring with them :-D I have them plugged into my studio pc and I also have an insurance for the dongles (which on the other hand was not possible for plain software licenses). Once my eLicenser gave up, I've send it to Steinberg and got a new one with all my licenses, easy going. Temporarly switching to another workstation without having to activate all the plugins again or copying keyfiles around is pretty neat (especially in our offline environment).

But well, you'll only hear the ones complaining the loudest, which had problems (or are trolling). There are more users having no problems using iLok and just do their thing - making music...

The biggest problem I have with iLok are the exorbitant transfer fees.

And it’s mildly annoying to remember to deactivate my computer in case I reinstall Windows or upgrade my system.

For that reason I try to use as few iLok products as possible. Soundtoys are worth the hassle, IMO.

Which reminds me, I need to sell my iLok usb dongle because I’m not using Slate anymore.
Last edited by Tappistry on Sun Nov 18, 2018 1:43 am, edited 2 times in total.

I recently recovered everything which I lost which was tied to iLok soft activation. On a stolen computer. Because they were helpful, and all the vendors were as well. The old activations were killed and I was able to reactivate. :shrug:
So that argument doesn't really stand up. OTOH I had an EWQL license on a physical key which was lost, and I'm SOL there. iLok as a protection here is the same as elicenser, with the exception of two vendors in my experience so far: Steinberg which replaced a license and VSL which replaced licenses at 50% of original cost, except when new prices were lower (50% of the newer price). I doubt EWQL is going to be as good, so there's that. Fortunately I don't really care.

"This means that if the company from where you got certain softwares died (as many times has occurred) you have limited or really a big deal cause your PC or laptop could die," Your computer could die with a serial code tied to it and the company go under, with the same outcome. Not exactly a persuasive argument there either.

I will say this, if the physical key is required, I won't buy, simply because of the inconvenience of taking up a slot.

Thanks JunSev and resynthesis. Theses are the kind of answers I was looking for (be it positive or negative). But:
mutantdog wrote: Sun Nov 18, 2018 1:00 am And so it begins again.
Please keep those to yourself. I'm sorry mutantdog, maybe there are a lot of iLok related posts already, but if those bore you please just skip them. I can understand that reappearing topics are a bit boring but things change, and I really want to know from the current Nov18 KVR crowd what I asked for.

I find that to be a very interesting topic because I really used to hate copy protection systems like that. I still do dislike them but I do understand why companies choose to use one. But I wished for ONE unified system. Waves, for example, doesn't use iLok anymore, which to me is a huge disadvantage. Because I am on the road a lot, I have to carry an iLok plus a Waves activated device (I chose the USB SSD where the audio files are on, because I need it anyways). But all in all I have the feeling that they are way more restrictive than iLok. Fabfilter or REAPER do a great job at license handling and these should be the golden standard in my opinion. But still I find iLok to be very usable.

So please, just keep your experiences and opinions coming , be it good or bad.

Cheers
Mork

Edit: And thanks to the others participating while I was writing :) Good stuff!

M.O.R.K. wrote: Sun Nov 18, 2018 1:48 am....mutantdog...
There are legitimate reasons for disliking iLok, some have been outlined already. However these threads tend to have a habit of deteriorating rapidly into petty squabbling. No offense meant to you asking a well reasoned and well articulated question. Give it a few more pages and you'll see what i meant.

Personal opinion, I'm cool with iLok software but not dongle. I'd rather not use it but it ain't that bad. I've only had one interaction with Pace when i sold an unregistered license on ebay and the buyer tried claiming i'd scammed him. Pace dealt with the situation very quickly and helpfully so i was happy with how that turned out.

jancivil wrote: Sun Nov 18, 2018 1:42 am I recently recovered everything which I lost which was tied to iLok soft activation. On a stolen computer. Because they were helpful, and all the vendors were as well. The old activations were killed and I was able to reactivate. :shrug:
So that argument doesn't really stand up. OTOH I had an EWQL license on a physical key which was lost, and I'm SOL there. iLok as a protection here is the same as elicenser, with the exception of two vendors in my experience so far: Steinberg which replaced a license and VSL which replaced licenses at 50% of original cost, except when new prices were lower (50% of the newer price). I doubt EWQL is going to be as good, so there's that. Fortunately I don't really care.

"This means that if the company from where you got certain softwares died (as many times has occurred) you have limited or really a big deal cause your PC or laptop could die," Your computer could die with a serial code tied to it and the company go under, with the same outcome. Not exactly a persuasive argument there either.
Everything comes down to the same conclusion Jancivil, that is what I say, sometimes there are developers perhaps with no bad intentionality at all, sometimes they are willing to help, but at the end you become dependent exactly for the copy protection, you have to ask for help constantly if there is problem and I think that is better to secure those keys independently of company, as I already said, nothing will guarantee the company will be there always, that is a big risk and problem.

And also yeah your serial could die with your computer, but I could save my key in a external hard drive in case of system failure, updates and all (again the point), is no persuasion, is understanding of what is happening.

mutantdog wrote: Sun Nov 18, 2018 2:09 am There are legitimate reasons for disliking iLok, some have been outlined already. However these threads tend to have a habit of deteriorating rapidly into petty squabbling. No offense meant to you asking a well reasoned and well articulated question. Give it a few more pages and you'll see what i meant.

Personal opinion, I'm cool with iLok software but not dongle. I'd rather not use it but it ain't that bad. I've only had one interaction with Pace when i sold an unregistered license on ebay and the buyer tried claiming i'd scammed him. Pace dealt with the situation very quickly and helpfully so i was happy with how that turned out.
We're on the same (few more) page(s), but I am taking the risk ;)
Thanks for your contribution, because that is my impression so far. Everything runs very smooth and quick, hence the thread. As I said, I am only a year in, so I want to "get ahead of any quirks".

I actually like ilok. Makes transferring to a new computer a breeze, instead of having to re-add a bunch of serial numbers or challenge responses.... move dongle from old system, plug into new system... Authorisation complete.

I do believe software ilok is begging for trouble for issues mentioned above and that I won't ever use. Your hard drive will die at some point.

I do take the point that for people who play live and travel, an ilok may be stolen or broken.
I keep mine on a lanyard around my neck like a precious chain that I plug in when I am using and then back around my neck at a live show when I am not.
That they give the option of 2+ authorisations took away my only issue with them (having to buy license twice, one for each of my two systems.)
And that they now have the option of ilok cloud, once you have internet may be the best of all worlds.

I really don't get the level of vitriol and hate even the whisper of the word ilok causes.
rsp
sound sculptist

i actually love my dongle and the mobility it offers
"There is no strength in numbers... have no such misconception... but when you need me be assured I won't be far away."

Return to “Effects”