Sonimus Satson CS (Pre-order, Release Mid Dec)

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Effects Discussion
RELATED
PRODUCTS

I'm a beta tester.

Recourt wrote: Sat Dec 08, 2018 2:54 am Finally had a chance to use this in a mastering session. I bypassed gain staging and EQ, running the track through only the compressor. I was very happy with the results. The compressor did a great job bringing drum sounds to the front and improved the soundstage of the full mix in general. The familiar SSL punch is there as well. I ended up using it for the final renders.
I'm a tester as well and I'm curious what settings you found useful using the comp alone on the master bus.

Attack .1 to 1ms, ratio 4:1, release auto. Only hitting it hard enough to barely move the needle. Maybe 1db gain reduction if that.

Theoretically a super fast attack on the master buss, were you using it to tame the occasional peaks ? Genuine question really.

Being really found of SSLish compression, I've never used such settings on a whole track / a buss, going for (significantly) longer attacks 99% of times. To my ears, these units shine when letting through an healthy portion of the transients.

So looking forward to testing it!
Computer musician / Ableton Certified Trainer / Mastering engineer
.com
3OP

Recourt wrote: Sat Dec 08, 2018 9:29 pm Attack .1 to 1ms, ratio 4:1, release auto. Only hitting it hard enough to barely move the needle. Maybe 1db gain reduction if that.
Thanks, I'll give that a try! Also did you use the SC or OS options??

nilhartman wrote: Sat Dec 08, 2018 9:40 pm Theoretically a super fast attack on the master buss, were you using it to tame the occasional peaks ? Genuine question really.
Quite the opposite acutally. Too short attack will kill the punch.

My point actually, poorly phrased I suppose.
Computer musician / Ableton Certified Trainer / Mastering engineer
.com
3OP

I’m not interested in a rack type plugin, but I’m hoping Satson sees a similar graphical update to match this. I definitely prefer it and it would also bring it inline with Britson if they did.

Interesting that this is essentially supposed to be a channel strip and there’s a buss comp without the standard SSL dynamics section.

I’d also love to see the compressor available separately as I already have Satson and StonEQ. I’m pretty happy with the Overloud SSL comp, but am looking forward to see what Sonimus’ offering sounds like. StonEQ is definitely my favorite SSL EQ option.
You are currently reading my signature.

I was using it more for color rather than gain reduction. The loudest peaks were barely moving the needle. Didn't need to accentuate any attack on the transients hence short attack time. The punch was in the bottom end.

jbarish wrote: Sat Dec 08, 2018 10:10 pm
Recourt wrote: Sat Dec 08, 2018 9:29 pm Attack .1 to 1ms, ratio 4:1, release auto. Only hitting it hard enough to barely move the needle. Maybe 1db gain reduction if that.
Thanks, I'll give that a try! Also did you use the SC or OS options??
Yes I was cutting the super low stuff with the side chain filter.

Supposedly it will be made available to those who pre-ordered tomorrow (Tuesday) :)

Edit: Source: GS forums, from some people who seem to know what they're talking about
Last edited by AdvancedFollower on Mon Dec 17, 2018 8:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.

AdvancedFollower wrote: Mon Dec 17, 2018 10:11 am Supposedly it will be made available to those who pre-ordered tomorrow (Tuesday) :)
Oh I can't wait!!!

This should be available to all pre-order customers now.

I can't wait to try this when i get home!

Played around with it a bit last night. It's pretty sweet. No proper manual yet, so there's a bit of guesswork to figuring out the nuances of how it operates, though most options are fairly self-explanatory.

Love that you can add/remove as many modules as you like, so you could use it just as a compressor, just EQ, pre-amp+EQ, EQ+Comp+EQ, or whatever you want. The window also resizes as you add/remove modules.

Return to “Effects”