Sonimus Satson CS (Pre-order, Release Mid Dec)

VST, AU, etc. plug-in Virtual Effects discussion
Recourt
KVRist
48 posts since 25 Jun, 2014

Post Sat Dec 08, 2018 10:38 am

I'm a beta tester.

jbarish
KVRist
334 posts since 28 Apr, 2017

Re: Sonimus Satson CS (Pre-order, Release Mid Dec)

Post Sat Dec 08, 2018 12:45 pm

Recourt wrote:
Fri Dec 07, 2018 6:54 pm
Finally had a chance to use this in a mastering session. I bypassed gain staging and EQ, running the track through only the compressor. I was very happy with the results. The compressor did a great job bringing drum sounds to the front and improved the soundstage of the full mix in general. The familiar SSL punch is there as well. I ended up using it for the final renders.
I'm a tester as well and I'm curious what settings you found useful using the comp alone on the master bus.

Recourt
KVRist

Post Sat Dec 08, 2018 1:29 pm

Attack .1 to 1ms, ratio 4:1, release auto. Only hitting it hard enough to barely move the needle. Maybe 1db gain reduction if that.

nilhartman
KVRist
415 posts since 15 Feb, 2012 from France

Post Sat Dec 08, 2018 1:40 pm

Theoretically a super fast attack on the master buss, were you using it to tame the occasional peaks ? Genuine question really.

Being really found of SSLish compression, I've never used such settings on a whole track / a buss, going for (significantly) longer attacks 99% of times. To my ears, these units shine when letting through an healthy portion of the transients.

So looking forward to testing it!

jbarish
KVRist
334 posts since 28 Apr, 2017

Post Sat Dec 08, 2018 2:10 pm

Recourt wrote:
Sat Dec 08, 2018 1:29 pm
Attack .1 to 1ms, ratio 4:1, release auto. Only hitting it hard enough to barely move the needle. Maybe 1db gain reduction if that.
Thanks, I'll give that a try! Also did you use the SC or OS options??

The Main Event
KVRist
80 posts since 20 Jul, 2012

Post Sat Dec 08, 2018 2:39 pm

nilhartman wrote:
Sat Dec 08, 2018 1:40 pm
Theoretically a super fast attack on the master buss, were you using it to tame the occasional peaks ? Genuine question really.
Quite the opposite acutally. Too short attack will kill the punch.
Still no Signature

nilhartman
KVRist
415 posts since 15 Feb, 2012 from France

Post Sat Dec 08, 2018 2:55 pm

My point actually, poorly phrased I suppose.

djanthonyw
KVRAF
6970 posts since 20 Jul, 2004

Post Sat Dec 08, 2018 3:11 pm

I’m not interested in a rack type plugin, but I’m hoping Satson sees a similar graphical update to match this. I definitely prefer it and it would also bring it inline with Britson if they did.

Interesting that this is essentially supposed to be a channel strip and there’s a buss comp without the standard SSL dynamics section.

I’d also love to see the compressor available separately as I already have Satson and StonEQ. I’m pretty happy with the Overloud SSL comp, but am looking forward to see what Sonimus’ offering sounds like. StonEQ is definitely my favorite SSL EQ option.
You are currently reading my signature.

Recourt
KVRist

Post Sat Dec 08, 2018 5:05 pm

I was using it more for color rather than gain reduction. The loudest peaks were barely moving the needle. Didn't need to accentuate any attack on the transients hence short attack time. The punch was in the bottom end.

Recourt
KVRist

Post Sat Dec 08, 2018 5:09 pm

jbarish wrote:
Sat Dec 08, 2018 2:10 pm
Recourt wrote:
Sat Dec 08, 2018 1:29 pm
Thanks, I'll give that a try! Also did you use the SC or OS options??
Yes I was cutting the super low stuff with the side chain filter.

Return to “Effects”