FabFilter Pro-Q 3

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Effects Discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS
Pro-Q 3

bmanic wrote: Sat Dec 08, 2018 8:15 am Making music was a "specialty feature" back in the day.. not the main operating principle. Two can play this game. :hihi:
Fine ....

The main operating principle was a specialty feature back in the day and not the main operating principle (for .... obvious reasons). :D

:lol:
"Wisdom is wisdom, regardless of the idiot who said it." -an idiot

For some of you with low budget there is alternatives to do MID/SIDE EQ with your daw and stock EQs in many different ways if you can't afford 179$ or the price upgrade like me, Fabfilter simplified the process but with some knowledge many things are possible, keep the faith :hug:

https://youtu.be/aEh-CQCNhCM

bmanic wrote: Sat Dec 08, 2018 8:10 am .. oh and the basic operation of a dynamic EQ has not been external sidechaining. Traditionally a dynamic EQ is operating at the difference of the actual filter being the dynamic sidechain itself. Only in the past few years have some dynamic EQ started to allow external sidechain linking. This is a specialty feature for the most part, not the main operating principle.
I had side chaining of dynamic EQ in 2004 with TC Electronics Powercore. Not sure when Melda came out with mDynamics that also has that feature. I have Pro-MB and mDynamics already and they are both super. If Q3 had side chain I probably would have bought it already. Fortunately for my wallet it doesn't have that feature.

Rather it was a business decision or just a hurry to get to market with a new product before the end of the year, doesn't really matter. It's a great product that is getting attention.

JunSev wrote: Sat Dec 08, 2018 4:28 pm For some of you with low budget there is alternatives to do MID/SIDE EQ with your daw and stock EQs in many different ways if you can't afford 179$ or the price upgrade like me, Fabfilter simplified the process but with some knowledge many things are possible, keep the faith :hug:

I'd not recommend this due to phase issues. Linear phase eq is mandatory and the FL EQ isn't.

DocSnyder wrote: Sun Dec 09, 2018 6:08 pm
JunSev wrote: Sat Dec 08, 2018 4:28 pm For some of you with low budget there is alternatives to do MID/SIDE EQ with your daw and stock EQs in many different ways if you can't afford 179$ or the price upgrade like me, Fabfilter simplified the process but with some knowledge many things are possible, keep the faith :hug:

I'd not recommend this due to phase issues. Linear phase eq is mandatory and the FL EQ isn't.
What do you mean? FPEQ2 isn't like all around EQ, but it gives you good results and does its job in the mix, and you don't need to spend 179$ if you can't afford, just using the logical aproach...

And how it is mandatory? do you think that a stock plug-in can't give you good results? if it is that you're wrong.

JunSev wrote: Sun Dec 09, 2018 7:42 pm

What do you mean? FPEQ2 isn't like all around EQ, but it gives you good results and does its job in the mix, and you don't need to spend 179$ if you can't afford, just using the logical aproach...

And how it is mandatory? do you think that a stock plug-in can't give you good results? if it is that you're wrong.
Uses determines what is mandatory...

In mixing, Linear Phase EQ is mandatory "if" you are working with material that gets routed to return tracks and buses (most noticeable with drums, with parallel routings).

Different people are going to have different reasons for wanting different features and why they are willing to pay for them. That might seem obvious, but those specific use cases are not always obvious if you don't have a need for those features.

The FL EQ is just superb - love the analyzer as it gives you an immediate heads-up on energy distribution across the frequency range - and I like the way it barely gives any real estate to anything over 10K.

Yeah, they should do a linear phase mode though. And dynamic bands :)
Last edited by MogwaiBoy on Sun Dec 09, 2018 8:00 pm, edited 2 times in total.

elxsound wrote: Sun Dec 09, 2018 7:51 pm

In mixing, Linear Phase EQ is mandatory "if" you are working with material that gets routed to return tracks and buses (most noticeable with drums, with parallel routings).

Different people are going to have different reasons for wanting different features and why they are willing to pay for them. That might seem obvious, but those specific use cases are not always obvious if you don't have a need for those features.
Ok understood, I just wanted to clarify and specify that the users that can't afford this EQ (is a nice EQ) can find a workaround and get good results already in other way, and that sometimes stock plug-ins can be useful too.

Pro-Q has never been a "unique" must have EQ due to sound quality or features. The only unique part of it has always been the interface, that's still the case. That's still the thing you pay a premium for. There are plenty of free or very low-cost options for people who either can't afford or don't need Pro-Q.

It's definitely a premium product but only in workflow in my opinion. Workflow is a very important part for many people though which explains why it's been selling so well and why everybody and their uncle has been copying Pro-Q since the beginning. :)
"Wisdom is wisdom, regardless of the idiot who said it." -an idiot

elxsound wrote: Sun Dec 09, 2018 7:51 pm

It is mandatory because the mid and the side signal have a correlation with each other. Eqing only one of both adds a phase shift which destroys the stereo field when converted back to a left/right signal. Unless you're equing the other signal with an allpass filter to add the same phase shift, you're gonna have problems...

With tokyo dawn labs EQ, you can do mid side processing iirc. (need to chain two instances though)
and FL Maximus allows to mono the bass frequencies so it helps a bit, but PEQ2 is really outdated imho.

plexuss wrote: Sat Dec 01, 2018 9:22 pm The thing Q3 offers with its dynamic eq is ease of use - you just drag on a band and it become dynamic. you dont have to do anything else. all other dynamic eq's I've seen including melda require a lot more work to dial in the nature of the band.
Well said, plexuss :tu:

Wondering... are the Fabfilter end of year sales typically better than their Black Friday?

ToneBoosters EQ4 actually does external side chaining in its dynamic EQ (oh and does mid/side as well).

Return to “Effects”