Twangström Public Beta (Update: rev 8131)

Official support for: u-he.com
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

thx for the beta, i alreay like it, especially building some raumpatrouille orion vibes :D

3ee wrote: Thu Dec 06, 2018 11:43 pm I know it doesn't beat any added feature request but for anyone interested in adding 'extra grit' , there is a valid hack..
it requires you to sacrifice the ENV fol. and at least a mod slot.

The EF can be turned into a distortion unit..

For example:
-ENV attack and release set to min.
-use source IN/OUT for dist flavors (i.e. odd/even skewed) (or set source to EXT. if you feel adventurous ;) )
-mod slot: select Env -> "Out: Out Gain" and set it to -100 for maximum effect... and then compensate volume with the Output knob.
This is a good find. If little else, it shows how interactive Output Gain and Soft Clip are.

Btw, "Amp Modulation" seems to hold the same idea here, though I don't think it's effecting Output Gain (master). Is "Amp Modulation" a block in the spring-tank-model?

joe_b wrote: Fri Dec 07, 2018 2:25 pm What do you guys think about a pre-delay control? I know it doesn't make sense physically for a spring reverb, but do you think it could make sense in production? I'll try and delay my send bus in the afternoon.
A couple of weeks ago, I bought a multi-effect plug-in (competes partially with u-he, but has guitar amp models; nonetheless I don't usually advertise u-he competitors on this forum), and its spring reverb has a pre-delay setting. I'm not saying Twangstrom needs this (I haven't even checked yet if it does have it), but it is useful in the competitor spring reverb.
Last edited by aaron aardvark on Sat Dec 08, 2018 5:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.
You can hear my original music at this link: https://www.soundclick.com/artist/defau ... dID=224436

Btw, "Amp Modulation" seems to hold the same idea here, though I don't think it's effecting Output Gain (master)
yes, the dedicated "Amp Modulation" (as it is atm) affects the wet signal only.

Do real spring reverbs add distortion? I don't get why people are expecting this to 'add grit'? That surely is the job of other types of plugin?

actually, i may have been the first person in this thread to mention the word "grit".
Let me clarify.
I did not mean distortion.

I meant maybe little resonant peaks at most, but i really mean some eyebrows. or some sharp edges.
some ear-hair would you believe?

something slightly ugly.
like me. the sound of me perhaps.
not distortion. necessarily.

just some edge. both CC and Twang have distortion, but they're both so flipping NICE.
It's just a u-he thing. I've dealt with it already.
just thought i'd clear up [ehem] my personal reference to the word "grit".

alles klar?!

@Sqigls
Dude, What you are asking for- that is distortion. If there are harmonically related additions to the signal - that is technically distortion. Non-harmonically related = noise.

Distortion can be subtle - ie low amplitude harmonic additions; it can be band-limited - so nothing to glary or harsh.

i'm not asking for anything egbert

sqigls wrote: Sat Dec 08, 2018 2:07 pm i'm not asking for anything egbert
Perhaps not. I didn't find your original ref to grit but grit - which you describe above is technically distortion. Anyway: No grit for you. Come back one year.

ok, technically.

i didn't mean "saturation" then?

I didn't mean distortion.
i just meant - some imperfections.

a skanky tooth or something.

sqigls wrote: Sat Dec 08, 2018 2:24 pm ok, technically.

Imperfection is a subjective term - you may know it when you hear it but when you look at it on a CRO and a frequency analyser it is either a noise artifact (eg a crackle) or distortion. End of.

Given that this a plugin which works by mathematical manipulation of the input signal, asking for the code to create something extra which is technically distortion and in the next breath saying you don't want distortion could be injurious to Sascha's mental health - if he were to take you seriously ;-)

Anyway, no drama as we say in these parts.

sqigls wrote: Sat Dec 08, 2018 2:24 pm ok, technically.

Well the springs can be made to rattle, maybe it needs a random auto rattle

i guess a little more cowbell is out of the question then?

aMUSEd wrote: Sat Dec 08, 2018 1:03 pm Do real spring reverbs add distortion? I don't get why people are expecting this to 'add grit'? That surely is the job of other types of plugin?
In most decent tube amps, the reverb circuit (where there is one) is actually tube driven - eg using two halves of a 12AX7 or AT7 . The already amplified audio signal is taken off onto a parallel path and then boosted by the first half of the driver tube and this signal drives a transducer which converts the AC audio signal into physical motion which excites the springs of the reverb tank. The output signal is received by a magnetic pickup attached to the far end of the tank and amplified again by another tube stage - the second half of the driver tube - and then mixed back in with the unprocessed signal. These extra stages add more tube artifacts like compression and distortion - especially when driven hard. Spring reverb is not a hi-fi process - if the spring reverb is in the amp it is operating in parallel only so the clean or otherwise amp signal is still there and it predominates unless you crank the reverb up.

If the reverb tank is external and used in front of the amp - a la Dick Dale surf guitar sounds - then the reverb signal is amplified and compressed by your amp which makes it much more dominant - especially on a really cranked amp. Same with delay pedals in front of your amp - the echoes are much louder and more prominent due to the compression of the amp.

After some testing and tweaking the plugin I really have to say this is a pretty awesome sounding spring reverb. Being able to modify parameters like spring tension results in very lively and organic reverb tails far superior than what you can get out of many other spring reverb plugins.
BUT as pointed out by others before there is definitely a lack of high frequencies. I tried with electric guitar, which was ok, but with voice and flute the reverb tail is just sounding pretty dull even with the tone knob turned fully clockwise and the filter completely open. Although lacking the overall tweakabilty and liveliness NI’s Guitar Rig spring reverb for example is much much better in this respect. Apart from this I am quite happy with the features. A built-in pre delay would be welcome but you can quite easily stack a simple sample delay into the effects chain of an AUX channel just before the Twangström and that would be it.

Return to “u-he”