Your First Ever PC & DAW Combo ?

Audio Plugin Hosts and other audio software applications discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Long story short....I bought my first PC, an AMD Athlon 750, with 128MB Ram, a Soundblaster 1024 SB Live soundcard, along with an Ati Rage 128 GL, 20 Gig 5400 RPM Hard Drive, CD player and floppy, 15" CRT PC Monitor way back in Aug 2000, for £720 pounds. The first DAW I ever installed was called Logic Fun, and it wouldn't have surprise me if it came from a Computer Music magazine..it probably did. Of course that's not the year my music beginnings started, that really started 7 years prior on what I thought felt like a PC at the time, a Mega ST with an actual hard drive and floppy disk....most of you know the rest. :lol:
Last edited by THE INTRANCER on Wed Dec 05, 2018 7:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.
KVR S1-Thread | The Intrancersonic-Design Source > Program Resource | Studio One Resource | Music Gallery | 2D / 3D Sci-fi Art | GUI Projects | Animations | Photography | Film Docs | 80's Cartoons | Games | Music Hardware |

If we talk "proper" DAWs only, then that'd be Ableton Live 9.7 on a Surface Pro 4 in early 2017 :)

Up to that point I've been using trackers on and off on PC, Amiga and 8-bit Atari.
Music tech enthusiast
DAW, VST & hardware hoarder
My "music": https://soundcloud.com/antic604

I got my first pc at the begining of 1995, a Pentium P60, I think, (that's 60 megehertz! Current pc is 4.5 gigahertz), running Cubase Score 2 under Win 3.1 for Workgroups. It had a 500 megabyte hdd and 8 megabytes of RAM. In July I swapped Win 3.1 for Win 95. That's all I can remember. Oh, the CD drive came with a remote control - that was neat.

(It also was an upgrade from an Atari ST1040 (with a whole 4 megabytes of RAM), using Score 2. I wonder how many ex-Atari users will respond to this thread...)

I think it cost £1100.

I'd been making music on computer since around 1985 with a ZX Spectrum 48k equipped with a hardware Spec-Drum. In 1988 I got an Amiga 500 and cracked copies of Sonixs and Dr Drums (my sincere apologies to the software developers).

My first PC DAW arrived in 1997:

Intel Pentium MMX 200Mhz
32 Meg Ram
3 Gig Hard Disk
STB Virge 3D graphics
Ensoniq Audio PCI soundcard.

This cost £1,600. I upgraded the soundcard to a Echo/Event Gina20 in 1998, for £400, to allow 20bit hard disk recording. I used a legit copy of Cubase (surprisingly), it didn't have any audio recording functions, though. For recording I used Cool Edit Pro (my apologies to Peter Quistguard). Later in 1998 I bought another soundcard for an additional £375, a Yamaha SW1000XG, which I still use to this day.

This was a solid system and virtually silent. I wish I still had it.
eh?

Not my first PC (that was an XT) but the first one I used for Audio was

Like Dunbar was in 1997.
AMD_386_40Mhz
8 MB RAM
Aztec sound card
win3.11 and 32_bit extensions (any one remember that fudge) with
Samplitude MultiMedia a 4 stereo track app... with trickery I could kinda get 8tracks going.

1998 and now I was going BIG with a
Pentium_2_MMX (was it written P_11)
64 MB RAM
2Gig HD
then the PC company upgraded it to a newly released P_111 (they did this for free... signed NDA.. so no more on THAT) with a whopping 128 meg RAM)))))) , win98 oh and a Yamaha Wavesmth sound card 192
and I got into ACID (DAW guys.. :hihi: )

Yes Intrancer.. I got the logic fun from CM about same time ))))
Now look what we have... progress?
OFC :hyper:

REAPER running on a 2012 Asus laptop with a Core i5 dual-core processor, a GeForce GT540M, 6GB of RAM, a 500GB hard drive and 64-bit Windows 7 Home Premium.
My solo projects:
Hekkräiser (experimental) | MFG38 (electronic/soundtrack) | The Santtu Pesonen Project (metal/prog)

Amiga 500 with Bars&Pipes - awesome software and hardware for the time.
After that, it took a while until something on what we call a PC today came even close...

Cheers,

Tom
"Out beyond the ideas of wrongdoing and rightdoing, there is a field. I’ll meet you there." - Rumi
ScreenDream Instagram Mastodon

Macintosh SE30 with 8 MB of RAM and a 40 MB HD (or 4 MB of RAM and a 80 MB HD - can't remember what was the combination, except that one figure had a 4 and the other had an 8 ). I didn't have an audio interface back then - everything was done through MIDI. Digital audio was still in its infancy (basically the only hardware available was from Digidesign), and everything was damn expensive. Besides, the SE30 had limited expansion, although there was a special version of Digidesign Sound Tools built for it.

Later I bought a PC and a Turtle Beach Multisound. That was my first real soundcard. On the Mac, it was a Digidesign Audiomedia.

My first sequencer was Performer 3.6. Later I changed to Vision/StudioVision. But I am still a user of Performer up to this day (in Windows too)
Fernando (FMR)

Atari ST with Cubase 1.0 (I think). Then switched to Atari Falcon and around 1996 I made the switch to PC.

My Atari Falcon is still working, but I can't run Cubase on it anymore because I crossgraded my license from Atari to PC back in the day. I still own a copy of Cubase 3.0 for Windows on floppy disks, parallell port dongle included :D
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Amiga 1000 and Dr. T's KCS

I got a Compaq Pentium3 in 2000.
I ran Fruity,SoundForge and Rebirth on a SoundBlaster Live! in Win98

ps- Making Waves was sick! I used that to start with

First DAW setup was a Pentium 166MHz with 32MB RAM, Trident 2 MB video card, SCSI interface with 1 GB hard drive and a 1 GB Iomega Jaz drive, Digidesign AudioMedia3 card, Win 95 or 98, Emagic Audio 2.5 and CoolEdit. I used the SoundBlaster joystick/MIDI port to run my M1 and Wavestation.

After reading some of the posts here I suddenly don't feel so old. Lol.

I think I first did anything serious, musically, late 90s, was a 333Mhz Celeron (cool at the time because this model had the same cache as a full pentium or something...) with a SB AWE32 card. Believe my first DAW was Samplitude Basic (8 tracks?) from a CM cover disk. Then played with some Music Centre shite, n-track shareware and Cakewalk Home Studio (never ran right...) Then I upgraded to a 1GHZ P3 with EMU APS and went with Cubasis for a while before discovering Tracktion and that was it till the bugs eat it and I jumped to Reaper.

FastTracker II on a 486/25MHz, sometime around 1993, I believe. Upgraded it to a Gravis Ultrasound soundcard because a lot of the tracker/demoscene-adjacent stuff I was grabbing off BBSs at the time claimed that GUS was just teh best. My very first case of GAS...

Acid Pro
Cool Edit Pro
400mHz!!! cpu
128 mb ram!!!!
10GB hard drive!!!! man that thing cost me over 500 bucks alone.

BLAZING fast machine !!!
the envy of every studio in town :P

Return to “Hosts & Applications (Sequencers, DAWs, Audio Editors, etc.)”