Teach me to make arps

How to do this, that and the other. Share, learn, teach. How did X do that? How can I sound like Y?
Distorted Horizon
KVRian
1344 posts since 17 Jan, 2017

Post Wed Dec 05, 2018 10:01 am

The title is quite self explanatory.

I know, it's about harmony n stuff but I still feel like a noob with my simple arping.

Go!

DJ Warmonger
KVRAF
2891 posts since 7 Jun, 2012 from Warsaw

Re: Teach me to make arps

Post Wed Dec 05, 2018 12:04 pm

Use arpeggiator.

Oh, it's you :D If you could tell us what exactly fo you need to improve in arps...
http://djwarmonger.wordpress.com/
Tricky-Loops wrote: (...)someone like Armin van Buuren who claims to make a track in half an hour and all his songs sound somewhat boring(...)

spunkmuffin
KVRian
719 posts since 5 Sep, 2014

Post Wed Dec 05, 2018 12:10 pm

Is a 2 note arp a trill?
:hyper: M O N O S Y N T H S F O R E V E R :hyper:

highkoo
KVRAF
3774 posts since 26 Jun, 2004

Post Wed Dec 05, 2018 12:11 pm

Cthulhu :P
ImageImage Image

vurt
addled muppet weed
38517 posts since 26 Jan, 2003 from through the looking glass

Post Wed Dec 05, 2018 12:11 pm

spunkmuffin wrote:
Wed Dec 05, 2018 12:10 pm
Is a 2 note arp a trill?
ostinato?

vurt
addled muppet weed
38517 posts since 26 Jan, 2003 from through the looking glass

Post Wed Dec 05, 2018 12:12 pm

highkoo wrote:
Wed Dec 05, 2018 12:11 pm
Cthulhu :P
gezundheit!
/passes tissue.

DJ Warmonger
KVRAF
2891 posts since 7 Jun, 2012 from Warsaw

Post Wed Dec 05, 2018 12:20 pm

I am pretty sure I got this link from this forum, but anyway:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tAPph7- ... 3XnaWYMq6Q

Already used this technique in 2 tracks, essence of trance!
http://djwarmonger.wordpress.com/
Tricky-Loops wrote: (...)someone like Armin van Buuren who claims to make a track in half an hour and all his songs sound somewhat boring(...)

AdvancedFollower
KVRist
140 posts since 8 May, 2018 from Sweden

Post Fri Dec 07, 2018 6:09 am

I tend to start by painting in a simple rising, descending or rising+descending pattern following the main chord progression of the song, then it's just a matter of moving some notes around until you've got something that sounds cool. Make sure only one note plays at a time, and use a monophonic patch to avoid muddiness.
A tempo synced delay can help you "fake" a more complex rhythm :)

Distorted Horizon
KVRian
1344 posts since 17 Jan, 2017

Post Sun Dec 09, 2018 11:37 pm

I usually make something like 3 notes arp where bot 2 plays for example A2 and A3 and top note is wandering around the chosen scale. And it's boring.

*edit*

Of course those bot notes change during the song instead of even more boring eight and a half minutes of A :lol:

Hermetech Mastering
KVRian
962 posts since 30 May, 2003 from Paris

Post Mon Dec 10, 2018 11:53 am

Learn some music theory, specifically how different chord types are built off of scales, and why and how harmonising the chords in the keys works, and away you go. You'll need to put some time and effort in though, there's no quick answer to your question. All the stuff is out there, go and teach yourself!

Watchful
KVRist
118 posts since 9 Jan, 2018

Post Mon Dec 10, 2018 12:29 pm

An arpeggio is anything that resembles a harp technique on another instrument (the 'arp and harp are related words for that reason).

An arpeggio can be a sequence of notes going up, going down, going up and down, doing a melodic line (ostinato) in either direction, or be individual notes of chords run through their inversions up or down. An arpeggio can be a single note shooting up or down by octaves. It's a broad category of techniques and strategies, not a specific technique in itself.

Sadly, the previous post is correct: this is a big (but easy) music theory question, and ultimately it'll be you putting the time in and practicing on your instrument of choice. But, as our previous poster said, there's a ton of stuff out there. I'd stick with the basics of doing it on a real instrument, and less on technological solutions. I say that because the technology makes it easy to do--but if you don't have the basics down, your technology will only be limited by what you know about arpeggios. Once *you* can do it on a real instrument, the technology solutions will be far more powerful for you.

Return to “Production Techniques”