Rode NT1A vs NT1?

Configure and optimize you computer for Audio.
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Is the second one really worth $100 more? Is there any sound difference one can tell? Would appreciate some answers on that.
Sound Designing and Soundtrack Custom Presets
http://www.stawczyk.com

From what I heard people talking about them, it seems to be that the first one sounds brighter (some say harsh), and the second one smoother and more neutral.

NT1 Kit is just $40 more than NT1A though, and it comes with a nice pop shield. Not sure where you saw the $100 difference.
Peace, my friends. I'm not seeking arguments here. ;)

I need a mic for my voice over work - low male voice. Only for my voice, not planning to record instruments. Is there any alternative to NT1 to $300?
Sound Designing and Soundtrack Custom Presets
http://www.stawczyk.com

Vocel wrote: Fri Dec 07, 2018 8:41 pm I need a mic for my voice over work - low male voice.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o9vjx0yYgbU&t

Booth Junkie does the same and gives a good comparison in that vid

Alternatives you could maybe look at MXL 770 ? (I went with this one over the NT as I preferred the sound but ymmv)

poonna wrote: Fri Dec 07, 2018 6:29 pm From what I heard people talking about them, it seems to be that the first one sounds brighter (some say harsh), and the second one smoother and more neutral.

NT1 Kit is just $40 more than NT1A though, and it comes with a nice pop shield. Not sure where you saw the $100 difference.
I had the NT1A and I too thought it really was unpleasantly harsh in the hi end, especially with esses and such.
Sold it and bought the NT1 instead. In my opinion it is definitely worth the extra money, and the shockmount with the integrated pop shield is great.
But as always no microphone fits every voice, so it might be that for some darker voices the NT1A might be a good solution, but for everything else the NT1 is the better option...

Edit: I mixed up the mic names... the NT1 is the newer, better one...
Last edited by fese on Fri Dec 07, 2018 10:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.

maybe i am wrong but i thought the bloke from RODE said the "A" stands for the 'anniversary' issue of the mic but that was some time back. so if i rem correctly and he was correct in saying so (he owns the company i believe) then they both should be the same mic internally but no two mics will sound 'exactly' the same due to the diaphragm and build. cheers
"There is no strength in numbers... have no such misconception... but when you need me be assured I won't be far away."

Vocel wrote: Fri Dec 07, 2018 8:41 pm I need a mic for my voice over work - low male voice. Only for my voice, not planning to record instruments. Is there any alternative to NT1 to $300?
Does it have to be a condenser? Maybe a dynamic mic like an SM58 would suffice, it’s much cheaper and dynamic vocal mics tend to have a narrower cardioid pattern so they don’t pick up as much unwanted noise and room sound.

Else, I once tested a Sontronics STC 2 which I found very pleasant, smooth top end, not hyped as many others in that price range. As far as i remember it might make a good voice over mic. Rather big and heavy, though...

MadDogE134 wrote: Fri Dec 07, 2018 10:49 pm maybe i am wrong but i thought the bloke from RODE said the "A" stands for the 'anniversary' issue of the mic but that was some time back. so if i rem correctly and he was correct in saying so (he owns the company i believe) then they both should be the same mic internally but no two mics will sound 'exactly' the same due to the diaphragm and build. cheers
No, the NT1A is a very different from the NT1, different capsules...

I have an NT1 from 1998, and it isn't harsh at all.
“Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that."
-Martin Luther King Jr.

Return to “Computer Setup and System Configuration”