A Redesign Of Hive & Something Funky

Official support for: u-he.com
THE INTRANCER
KVRian
667 posts since 30 Dec, 2014

Post Sat Dec 08, 2018 2:49 am

First off, there's no sound in this video as it was just for demonstration purposes... but I thought it was something to cool to share, and to demonstrate Hive's hidden depths. It really does make Hive much more randomly creative..

Designing interfaces is somewhat of guilty passion of mine I can't resist, particularly if it's something I'm gonna use. And as much as I thought the original Hive was cool, certain visual aspects were niggling my eyes with it, and thus I felt compelled to delve into the challenge of a new design and that of the scary world of the preference script and decode it which I'd never done before with VST Instruments. :D

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bBC-LZ4dQ-M
THE INTRANCER-Digital 2D & 3D GUI / Music Artist - Orchestral Trance - Ambient - Film Scores | Soundcloud 27 | Soundclick 16 | Producing Music For 25+Years & Sound Monitoring FOH at UK Stadium/Festivals for Carl Cox, FatBoy Slim ect

EvilDragon
KVRAF
17155 posts since 7 Jan, 2009 from Croatia

Re: A Redesign Of Hive & Something Funky

Post Sat Dec 08, 2018 6:47 am

How is recoloring an already existing design/layout "designing". It's just editing what's already there :) You changed nothing in the UI itself except colors?

THE INTRANCER
KVRian

Post Sat Dec 08, 2018 4:22 pm

EvilDragon wrote:
Sat Dec 08, 2018 6:47 am
How is recoloring an already existing design/layout "designing". It's just editing what's already there :) You changed nothing in the UI itself except colors?
The design involved far far more than 'recolouring', the interface shell was remodelled from scratch, point by point in Photoshop CS6. Knobs and wheels were remodelled and added with materials then animated out as PNG files with Maxons Cinema 4D. The original white keyboard was replaced with a dark key and edge illuminated keyboard section and was created from scratch to fit in with the design aspect of the existing flat orange one. Sliders and many buttons were redesigned, including drop down widgets. markings, and details.

Redesign of the central hexagon screen that removes the fuzzy mesh one with hard to read text elements, that currently exists by default, all of which required careful calibration at script level and within Photoshop.

New clearer fonts and repositioning... more script editing for different area's of transparency within the hexagon.. new mod design section, browser ect.. and that's not counting the technical visual issues I had to solve like when the UI was scaled larger and keys were showing white edges between them.

It's about redesigning something to make something better, without fundamentally changing the original schematic that may possibly break, and possibly break in any future update there is. Redesigning something entirely different isn't always wise or necessary, when the existing schematic is fine as it is.
THE INTRANCER-Digital 2D & 3D GUI / Music Artist - Orchestral Trance - Ambient - Film Scores | Soundcloud 27 | Soundclick 16 | Producing Music For 25+Years & Sound Monitoring FOH at UK Stadium/Festivals for Carl Cox, FatBoy Slim ect

hollo
KVRian
970 posts since 28 Dec, 2004

Post Sat Dec 08, 2018 6:15 pm

I like it, fine details and overview,
all the black & gray scale looks very clean and fresh, it's like a sophisticated high end gear. My only worries would be the
orange ( my fav color if not in software ) did you try the Zebra kind of green on it? Or even the default blue...

EvilDragon
KVRAF
17155 posts since 7 Jan, 2009 from Croatia

Post Sat Dec 08, 2018 11:09 pm

So it's a rerender, not a redesign :)

e-musician
KVRist
57 posts since 4 Feb, 2015

Post Sun Dec 09, 2018 5:59 am

I like it, but also agree with hollo as regards orange. Well done, you must have put a lot of work in it.
However, I preferred the keyboard you used in this older version:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Lxj2Au81WkY

Will it still work with HIVE 1.2? Any chance you might share it?

THE INTRANCER
KVRian

Post Sun Dec 09, 2018 12:26 pm

hollo wrote:
Sat Dec 08, 2018 6:15 pm
I like it, fine details and overview,
all the black & gray scale looks very clean and fresh, it's like a sophisticated high end gear. My only worries would be the
orange ( my fav color if not in software ) did you try the Zebra kind of green on it? Or even the default blue...
Thanks, yeah... that was kinda the idea... although the finish has employed a slight dusty and marked look so it looks more authentic than a straight a clean CGI image. From the artistic perspective, I took many design cue's from car interior design, and high end hardware mixers. As well other GUI design works I've created, using the preset gradient styles that I had used and adjusting them to fit the geometry. Making the GUI look solid and robust without adding metal like elements was another aspect of the design, besides creating more visual space, simply by using a minimum of colour.

On the colour side of things, I stuck with orange as it seemed to tie in well with style I was going for. I did however go back and change the original default blue one. It's still a work in progress version though because there's a cross over of file associations in the script I think, I'd need to work out. The wheels are orange when they should be blue, and I can't have both because the reference line is not unique to the wheel object which also needs it's own name. There's other buttons in the same boat.., but as for pure grass green, it's not something I use on GUI's, aqua, turquoise, jade, I'm ok with. The below video is just to show you, it's not the one I use by default myself, as it's not finished.

https://youtu.be/6TrESJ0z-08

THE INTRANCER
KVRian

Post Sun Dec 09, 2018 1:19 pm

e-musician wrote:
Sun Dec 09, 2018 5:59 am
I like it, but also agree with hollo as regards orange. Well done, you must have put a lot of work in it.
However, I preferred the keyboard you used in this older version:

Will it still work with HIVE 1.2? Any chance you might share it?
Thanks, yeah..the design was created over a couple of weeks back in 2016..the keyboard was modified in 2017 and the keyboard illumination design changed earlier this year. I liked the original smaller key design and light on the keys themselves but the white outline always bugged me. When the GUI is scaled to 100%, it's less noticeable but I typically have it at around 110, 120 in size, and that's where it became visually annoying. It wasn't till earlier this year that I managed to figure out how to solve it after having another stab at it. Making the keys longer and the illumination around them, for me, is a happy compromise.

Right now, the redesign is more of an in house development kinda thing, but it may be available in the future, when I've figured out the best solution for myself to do that, and if that's the case, there wouldn't be just one new interface but several. There's some technicalities I've still to find out, and possibly conversion to accommodate the new wavetable type stuff. The orange design uses the Honeycomb script, for example.

Return to “u-he”