DUNE 3 is now available!!

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
Post Reply New Topic

recursive one wrote: Wed Aug 28, 2019 12:39 pm You don't need it =/= nobody needs it.
Someone gave the opinion that Dune 3 needs a Browser. I gave my opinion that it does not. Certainly if one person can give their opinion I can give mine as well.

No one needs a pretty browser it's simply a feature of convenience not a feature of function.

Even if Synapse adds the greatest Browser of all time it will not make Dune 3 sound one bit different.

I can't imagine how anyone made any music before Browsers became a fad. :wink:

But then I'm a huge fan of high quality sounding synths. Anything else is just fluff and blubber.
None are so hopelessly enslaved as those who falsely believe they are free. Johann Wolfgang von Goethe

This tragic "the sound is all that matters and everything else is a waste of time" show is starting to get boring. The developer is the first one who will benefit from improving every aspect of its instrument. A contemporary and effective workflow is just as important as the sound. Period.

chk071 wrote: Wed Aug 28, 2019 12:46 pm
recursive one wrote: Wed Aug 28, 2019 12:39 pm
Teksonik wrote: Wed Aug 28, 2019 12:36 pm I can't imagine not using a High Quality sounding synth like Dune 3 simply because it doesn't have colored buttons or a pretty browser.

Certainly development time should be spent on features that impact the sound rather than making it a little easier to use presets.

But you never know perhaps Synapse will add a pretty browser to Dune 3 some day and that would be a tragic waste of time in my opinion. I'd much rather they work on another high quality synth than tacking things on to D3 that do nothing to expand the range of sounds it can make.
You don't need it =/= nobody needs it.

As little as I care about preset browsers myself, I think posts like that are absolutely ridiculous.
You spoilered the upcoming Spire preset browser recently (which looks great). I rather had it that they spend their time on more useful features (for me), but... OK, as you said, i'm not everyone, and, if people really need such a sophisticated preset browser nowadays (i also get it that quantity nowadays > quality, and people need a way to browse through those gazillions of presets), then, so be it. Still, it leaves at least a bit of a taste in my mouth, as i wonder about people's priorities. At the very least, i'd think people should care about other stuff than a rating system for presets... Should, could, would. And stuff. ;)
Well,as I said I have little interest in preset browser stuff in any synth and Dune's preset browser is 100% enough for me. I do use presets made by other people sometimes, but I mostly make sounds within a project or use my own patches saved inside the Studio One preset manager. So I have no use of that rating stuff, colour-coded stuff and such.

But it seems that fancypants preset browsers help selling synths these days, so it is just as important as making a a good looking website, good audio/video demos and stuff like that.

Also I do understand that many people are not into designing sounds and they just browse presets until they find something that fits the track. Moreover, when you do commercial work, have deadlines, or just want sh!t done fast something that allows better navigating the presets my be vital.

For the record, I'm not connected to Reveals anyhow.
You may think you can fly ... but you better not try

enCiphered wrote: Wed Aug 28, 2019 12:53 pm This tragic "the sound is all that matters and everything else is a waste of time" show is starting to get boring. The developer is the first one who will benefit from improving every aspect of its instrument. A contemporary and effective workflow is just as important as the sound. Period.
Yeah, but... it's definitely important to know what people prioritize.

Although i'm sure that a decent preset browser is on most people's list. Somehow, i never worked that way. The first thing i did, when i started fiddling with synths was to browse through some presets, but... shortly after, i rather wanted to know what everything on the synth does, and how it affects the sound, and... IMO, trial and error gets you WAY further than analyzing presets in detail. But, i'm also sure that that's not what is about. Some people just need production ready sounds for their production, and want to focus on that. Which is fair enough, of course.
recursive one wrote: Wed Aug 28, 2019 1:01 pm But it seems that fancypants preset browsers held selling synths these days, so it is just as improtant as making a a good looking website, good audio/video demos and stuff like that.
Yep. :tu:

chk071 wrote: Wed Aug 28, 2019 12:46 pm At the very least, i'd think people should care about other stuff than a rating system for presets...
Exactly. Take the Browser in Hive 2 since it's been brought up. You'd spend more time "favoriting" and coloring patches than you would creating a logical file system as shown in my D3 screenshot earlier.

I have never once used the Browser functions in Hive 2 and find they simply get in the way. The textbook definition of Fluff and Blubber to me

Sure we all have our favorite requests for Dune 3. For example I'd love to see the .sfz Osc from Zampler added as that would expand Dune 3's range of sounds by an order of magnitude.

Synapse is just a two man operation so development time is precious. Yes if they had the resources of Native Instruments then by all means assign someone to constantly tweak Dune 3 but that's simply not the case.

Again in my opinion I would rather see Synapse use that precious development time on a new synth or on something that would enhance the range of sounds in D3. Simply tacking stuff on to Dune 3 that don't impact the sound seems totally pointless to me.
None are so hopelessly enslaved as those who falsely believe they are free. Johann Wolfgang von Goethe

enCiphered wrote: Wed Aug 28, 2019 12:53 pm This tragic "the sound is all that matters and everything else is a waste of time" show is starting to get boring. The developer is the first one who will benefit from improving every aspect of its instrument. A contemporary and effective workflow is just as important as the sound. Period.
What is tragic is that someone doesn't understand the only reason we use a synth is for its sound.

Everything else is secondary. You could have a synth that has the best browser in the business and all the drag and drop or other features of convenience you could want but if it sounds like crap then.......well I'll let you figure out the rest for yourself.

Like I said a wish list for Dune 3 is nice but the reality is that most of those features don't impact the real reason why we use synths....the sound.

It's tragic I have to explain that at all. :?

most of those features don't impact the real reason why we use synths....the sound.
I think this statement is just false. People have been making successful music with misc crap sound sources. Maybe you should stop using "we" where you're thinking about yourself only.

Dune already sounds great and needs no improvement in this area.
Blog ------------- YouTube channel
Tricky-Loops wrote: (...)someone like Armin van Buuren who claims to make a track in half an hour and all his songs sound somewhat boring(...)

Teksonik wrote: Wed Aug 28, 2019 1:12 pm
What is tragic is that someone doesn't understand the only reason we use a synth is for its sound.

Everything else is secondary. You could have a synth that has the best browser in the business and all the drag and drop or other features of convenience you could want but if it sounds like crap then.......well I'll let you figure out the rest for yourself.

Like I said a wish list for Dune 3 is nice but the reality is that most of those features don't impact the real reason why we use synths....the sound.

Another tragic fact is, that you don´t even realize how self-centered you are. Did you ever count how many times YOU are talking about what YOU like and what YOU do? Did you ever count how many times you are repeating yourself? This is not an opinion anymore, this is abnormal behaviour, especially if you have absolutely nothing to do with this product rather than using it like anyone else does. We all got it, the sound is the most important thing for you. It´s ok. Why don´t you just relax now and let people make their statements about different aspects than just the sound, without constantly putting yourself first?

Teksonik wrote: Wed Aug 28, 2019 1:12 pm It's tragic I have to explain that at all. :?
You don't have, mate. People can decide for themselves what they need and what they don't need. 8)
You may think you can fly ... but you better not try

DJ Warmonger wrote: Wed Aug 28, 2019 1:20 pm
most of those features don't impact the real reason why we use synths....the sound.
I think this statement is just false. People have been making successful music with misc crap sound sources. Maybe you should stop using "we" where you're thinking about yourself only.
Here's a test....take the sound away from any synth. What are you left with ? That's right nothing.

If you're using a synth for any other reason than its sound then I can not help you. Any attempt to educate you will simply be wasted.
DJ Warmonger wrote: Wed Aug 28, 2019 1:20 pmDune already sounds great and needs no improvement in this area.
If you realize that expansion of that great sound is an improvement you'll realize your statement is false.

Maybe you should stop thinking only of yourself. :wink:

enCiphered wrote: Wed Aug 28, 2019 1:22 pm

Another tragic fact is, that you don´t even realize how self-centered you are. Did you ever count how many times YOU are talking about what YOU like and what YOU do? Did you ever count how many times you are repeating yourself? This is not an opinion anymore, this is abnormal behaviour, especially if you have absolutely nothing to do with this product rather than using it like anyone else does. We all got it, the sound is the most important thing for you. It´s ok. Why don´t you just relax now and let people make their statements about different aspects than just the sound, without constantly putting yourself first?
you statements 12...Dune mentioned 0

stay on topic because the you statements only perpetuate off topic, rants, bickering and getting threads locked. Further such posts will not last
The highest form of knowledge is empathy, for it requires us to suspend our egos and live in another's world. It requires profound, purpose‐larger‐than‐the‐self kind of understanding.

Teksonik wrote: Wed Aug 28, 2019 12:36 pm I can't imagine not using a High Quality sounding synth like Dune 3 simply because it doesn't have colored buttons or a pretty browser.

Certainly development time should be spent on features that impact the sound rather than making it a little easier to use presets.

But you never know perhaps Synapse will add a pretty browser to Dune 3 some day and that would be a tragic waste of time in my opinion. I'd much rather they work on another high quality synth than tacking things on to D3 that do nothing to expand the range of sounds it can make.
It isn't a coloured button issue.
It isn't about pretty, it is about being functional.
The drop down method for me is very inefficient.
Can't even favourite my preferred patches.

I dont think Richard is making it just for you.
There is a reason why others, u-he, Spectrasonics, Native Instruments etc etc have invested in their browsers.
rsp
Last edited by zvenx on Wed Aug 28, 2019 1:35 pm, edited 2 times in total.
sound sculptist

yeah if the sound is awesome just put a VST in flat black and white and some knobs, why care about user friendliness and gui design :D i mean the SOUND is important nothing else....
DAW FL Studio Audio Interface Focusrite Scarlett 1st Gen 2i2 CPU Intel i7-7700K 4.20 GHz, RAM 32 GB Dual-Channel DDR4 @2400MHz Corsair Vengeance. MB Asus Prime Z270-K, GPU Gainward 1070 GTX GS 8GB NT Be Quiet DP 550W OS Win10 64Bit

Hink wrote: Wed Aug 28, 2019 1:31 pm
enCiphered wrote: Wed Aug 28, 2019 1:22 pm

you statements 12...Dune mentioned 0

stay on topic because the you statements only perpetuate off topic, rants, bickering and getting threads locked. Further such posts will not last
Sorry Hink, you are right.
But in this case, it was inevitable.
This thread is really suffering from such dominating egoism. Sad
Last edited by enCiphered on Wed Aug 28, 2019 1:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.

enCiphered wrote: Wed Aug 28, 2019 1:22 pm Another tragic fact is, that you don´t even realize how self-centered you are. Did you ever count how many times YOU are talking about what YOU like and what YOU do? Did you ever count how many times you are repeating yourself? This is not an opinion anymore, this is abnormal behaviour, especially if you have absolutely nothing to do with this product rather than using it like anyone else does. We all got it, the sound is the most important thing for you. It´s ok. Why don´t you just relax now and let people make their statements about different aspects than just the sound, without constantly putting yourself first?
Yes I'm just as self centered as everyone else. When someone makes a request for a feature that I have no use for then they are being self centered.

Why are other people allowed to express their opinions and I'm not ? If people would stop whining I'd stop posting responses. :wink:

So why don't you just calm down and stop constantly putting yourself first ? :wink:

Look the bottom line is Synapse will do what they do. Maybe one day you'll see a Browser with pretty colors. Then I'll be happy for you and saddened by the total waste of time it took to implement such a worthless (to me) feature......

Return to “Instruments”