Dune 3 vs. Hive 2

Official support for: u-he.com
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

SLiC wrote: Fri May 24, 2019 8:48 am I have just been playing with the Hive 2 update (bargain update price...unlike Dune 2 to Dune 3!) and Hive 2 is a superb instrument, sounds great, looks great, some fun and interesting features blended with a good engine, it begs to be played/programmed and is pretty easy to use given everything it does- in that way it is similar to Dune.

However...Dune still sounds like Dune, and I love the way Dune sounds irrespective of which one has more features or how they work...Dune 3 is (I think) the warmest sounding software synthesizer available, but other VST's do other things better and there is a good case to me made for owning them all (evil laugh)
Yeah, I love Dune 3. Those new filters are something else. My only wish is that he’d add higher oversampling options for the distortion effects.
Zerocrossing Media

4th Law of Robotics: When turning evil, display a red indicator light. ~[ ●_● ]~

SLiC wrote: Fri May 24, 2019 8:48 amDune 3 is (I think) the warmest sounding software synthesizer available, but other VST's do other things better and there is a good case to me made for owning them all (evil laugh)
I'm trying to own less of them :lol:

Since they all sound really good these days... and because there is so much overlap, it is workflow and ease of use and fun factor that is a major decider for me now. That and of course if a synth offers something unique sound-wise. For example, Phonem... there is nothing else like it so I am willing to put up with the somewhat idiosyncratic GUI.

Dune doesn't offer something soundwise I don't already have and it is not a particularly fun inviting workflow.

I've had lots of fun programming hundred of patches and using D3 in almost every synth based track I do.

I guess "fun" is just as subjective as anything else. :shrug:
None are so hopelessly enslaved as those who falsely believe they are free. Johann Wolfgang von Goethe

SLiC wrote: Fri May 24, 2019 8:48 am Dune 3 is (I think) the warmest sounding software synthesizer available
No, not at all. But, i think i'll give up arguing about it, because it seems like there's a terrible misunderstanding about what a "warm" sound is.

Can you enlighten us all about what is 'warm' please? Pretty confusing term, it seems.

I don't know if DUNE 3 falls into that category or not, all I know is that is sounds amazing. As it does HIVE 2. Both have a character of their own, which is great.

Teksonik wrote: Fri May 24, 2019 2:27 pm I guess "fun" is just as subjective as anything else. :shrug:
Sure... for me, less tabbing, one window workflow and drag-n-drop modulation play a big part in having a synth be fun and fluid. I like for example that with Hive 2 I don't even need to use the Mod Matrix to use the Mod Matrix. Hive is so fast to try things out and all the Osc's, filters and modulators are all visible at once.

I also completely understand just enjoying a synth. Perhaps if I had started with Dune some years ago I would be really into it. For me that synth is Zebra.

chk071 wrote: Fri May 24, 2019 2:34 pm
SLiC wrote: Fri May 24, 2019 8:48 am Dune 3 is (I think) the warmest sounding software synthesizer available
No, not at all. But, i think i'll give up arguing about it, because it seems like there's a terrible misunderstanding about what a "warm" sound is.
To me, Dune seems light and airy, bright and smooth. I'd call Diva warm, but not Dune.

Yorrrrrr wrote: Fri May 24, 2019 3:01 pm Can you enlighten us all about what is 'warm' please? Pretty confusing term, it seems.
subjective bullshit, meaningless

I won't buy Dune 3 because it doesn't have support for custom tunings, but when i demoed it i found the sound very pleasant and a bit restrained but not in any way dull. I didn't instantly need to do deep EQ cuts and careful filtering to make it calm down like i do with almost every other synth. Most synths are way too aggressive and abrasive and usually have too brash and present mids imo.

Yorrrrrr wrote: Fri May 24, 2019 3:01 pm Can you enlighten us all about what is 'warm' please? Pretty confusing term, it seems.
Warm = "I like how it sounds to my ears"
Always Read the Manual!

Nope. There are cold sounds which can be lovely.

Well.. how to explain "warm". How to explain warm colours in a picture? How to explain the warm light when the sun is rising? Guess it has to do with bass, and movement, like in a chorus, so, oscillator drift surely also has to do with it. As has a wide sound, think "3D". It also surely has to do with the character and behavior of the filter, of filter resonance, and also with the high frequency end. A synth i could mention which i find remarkable cold is Z3TA. NI Massive is also a pretty "cold" sounding synth IMO. Try to make a supersaw/string kind pad with a bit closed filter, and then listen to how it sounds, and then do the same in Spire, and you may (or not) notice the difference.

Again, if you like that sound is another topic. I don't get why people are so insulted when you say this or that synth doesn't sound warm. :) Maybe warm isn't even your thing. At the very least, noone has to feel insulted, or his/her gear de-valued. I don't consider Hive particularly warm either, it's also rather on the cold side, like Bazille. Diva has been mentioned, which IMO has a warmer sound.

I think those vs topics should be forbidden in KVR.

PieBerger wrote: Fri May 24, 2019 5:10 pm
Warm = "I like how it sounds to my ears"
WARM: When my ears become red, roughly at 35 degrees Celsius...

Elektronisch wrote: Fri May 24, 2019 5:59 pm I think those vs topics should be forbidden in KVR.
Forbidden is too harsh. But I think I got your point.

chk071 wrote: Fri May 24, 2019 5:29 pm Nope. There are cold sounds which can be lovely.

Well.. how to explain "warm". How to explain warm colours in a picture? How to explain the warm light when the sun is rising? Guess it has to do with bass, and movement, like in a chorus, so, oscillator drift surely also has to do with it. As has a wide sound, think "3D". It also surely has to do with the character and behavior of the filter, of filter resonance, and also with the high frequency end. A synth i could mention which i find remarkable cold is Z3TA. NI Massive is also a pretty "cold" sounding synth IMO. Try to make a supersaw/string kind pad with a bit closed filter, and then listen to how it sounds, and then do the same in Spire, and you may (or not) notice the difference.

Again, if you like that sound is another topic. I don't get why people are so insulted when you say this or that synth doesn't sound warm. :) Maybe warm isn't even your thing. At the very least, noone has to feel insulted, or his/her gear de-valued. I don't consider Hive particularly warm either, it's also rather on the cold side, like Bazille. Diva has been mentioned, which IMO has a warmer sound.
Most of what makes Dune sound good has to do with the effects chains that include a really powerful EQ. You can dramatically change the sound of any synth by using the internal effects or adding better effects in your DAW.

Return to “u-he”