Bitwig 2.5 beta is out!

Official support for: bitwig.com
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Can you report this? Not sure, if Bitwig team is reading here.

I shot them an email yesterday, as I also experienced a bug when opening some VST plugin windows. After dropping a VST on a track, I get a blank white window for some plugins (noticeably stuff from Arturia & IK). Re-Opening the plugin window fixes this, but still wanted to let them know, as this was new for me (worked without a problem in beta 2). So fingers crossed :)
Frequently changing DAW of choice...

I'm getting some peculiar issues where adding or removing a VST effect from an instrument track playing MIDI appears to cause a note off to be sent and the instrument stops playing until the next MIDI note is encountered. Only happens sporadically and haven't managed to reproduce consistently yet though...

T71 wrote: Wed Dec 12, 2018 9:05 am We're only .5 away from Bitwig 3.0. The glass is half full. :love:
:hihi:

Bitwig Studio 2.5, Beta 4 is out...
Changes in Bitwig Studio 2.5, Beta 4

Improvements
  • When entering a textual value for a VST 3 plug-in parameter allow user to enter this in the parameter's actual unit instead of a normalized value 0...1
  • Add new DPI aware setting on Windows that decides if Windows will automatically scale plug-ins that are not DPI aware
  • Reduce the OS resources we allocate for each plug-in (we no longer allocate a new shared memory area for each plug-in)
  • When deactivating a plug-in (either directly or when deactivating its track) unload the plugin
  • When using U-he VST 3 plugins also show the h2p preset files in the browser for them and when dragging an h2p file use the VST 3 version instead of VST 2 if it is present
Fixes
  • Support io bus and latency changing notifications for plug-ins correctly and fade in/out their audio when this happens
  • Regression since beta-2: on macOS some plugin windows look empty when opening the first time
  • Crash when sliding content in launcher clip on Windows when "Tablet" or "Master/Detail" display profile is active
  • Crash when invoking action to toggle note editor layer locking on layer that can't be locked
  • Crash when dragging after double-clicking in velocity editor if the mouse was not moved before second click (to draw linear ramp)
Regression Fixes
  • Default preset for a plug-in was not loaded when adding a plug-in
  • Reverb device could produce invalid sound in some cases in 2.5 Beta 3
  • Some VST 3 plug-ins failed to load that had a side chain input (e.g GHz Volf Compressor 3 and Toneboosters EQ 4)
  • Step Mod device was not working anymore

tl wrote: Mon Jan 21, 2019 5:40 pm Bitwig Studio 2.5, Beta 4 is out...
Changes in Bitwig Studio 2.5, Beta 4

Improvements
  • When entering a textual value for a VST 3 plug-in parameter allow user to enter this in the parameter's actual unit instead of a normalized value 0...1
  • Reduce the OS resources we allocate for each plug-in (we no longer allocate a new shared memory area for each plug-in)
Any ideas what, exactly, those two bullets actually mean?

The first one is actually a pretty cool improvement (if only there were more VST3 plugins already ;). If you take any VST plugin, for example a synth, and adjust the cut-off, you usually see 0.5 instead of 10k Hz if you try and adjust the value outside of the plugin value. Now, for VST3, it will actually show 10k Hz is you try to enter that value (if the plugin properly exposes this, and apparently Arturia's stuff doesn't, and u-he's stuff uses a value between 0..150 for filter cutoff -.-).
The second one, as far as I can tell from a few minutes of testing, just means that Bitwig has reduced their memory footprint.
Frequently changing DAW of choice...

dreamstate42 wrote: Mon Jan 21, 2019 6:22 pm The first one is actually a pretty cool improvement (if only there were more VST3 plugins already ;). If you take any VST plugin, for example a synth, and adjust the cut-off, you usually see 0.5 instead of 10k Hz if you try and adjust the value outside of the plugin value. Now, for VST3, it will actually show 10k Hz is you try to enter that value (if the plugin properly exposes this, and apparently Arturia's stuff doesn't, and u-he's stuff uses a value between 0..150 for filter cutoff -.-).
The second one, as far as I can tell from a few minutes of testing, just means that Bitwig has reduced their memory footprint.
I see! Too bad so many VST3 versions of plugs are... ill-behaved and crashy... compared to the VST2 versions of those same plugins.

I'm torn about the new auto-filtering feature. Quite a few of my VST3 plugs are well-behaved enough, but, for example, the new FabFilter Pro-Q3 is crashy as HELL when I have multiple VST3 instances of it in a project. By comparison, if I put only VST2 instances of Pro-Q3 in my project, they don't ever crash.

Basically, VST3 plugs seem to be crashy in general when you need them to share the same plugin host so they can talk to each other (like Pro-Q3 does for it's masking features). VST2 plugs seem to be far more stable when running together in a shared memory space.

dreamstate42 wrote: Mon Jan 21, 2019 6:22 pm The first one is actually a pretty cool improvement (if only there were more VST3 plugins already ;). If you take any VST plugin, for example a synth, and adjust the cut-off, you usually see 0.5 instead of 10k Hz if you try and adjust the value outside of the plugin value. Now, for VST3, it will actually show 10k Hz is you try to enter that value (if the plugin properly exposes this, and apparently Arturia's stuff doesn't, and u-he's stuff uses a value between 0..150 for filter cutoff -.-).
Arturia and u-he's stuff just work fine in Reaper. Those plug-ins nicely show the actual values. So this is a thing that needs to be fixed in Bitwig.
I haven't found any VST3 plug-in yet that shows actual values. Maybe we'll see this in beta 5.

(Beta 4) All my u-he instruments (except bazille) is hidden because they are redundant? Is this known? I guess they should only be hidden if there is a both a 32bit and 64bit version, but it seems Bazille makes Repro, Ace etc hidden too. I only have 64 bit versions installed by the way.

Does anyone know where the "use MPE" button in the device-inspector went? :(
I can't find it in 2.5 Beta 4. All my U-He PlugIns lost their (incomplete, but usable nonetheless) MPE-functions...

I am really happy about this update. Way to go Bitwig.

Jervant wrote: Tue Jan 29, 2019 11:38 pm Does anyone know where the "use MPE" button in the device-inspector went? :(
I can't find it in 2.5 Beta 4. All my U-He PlugIns lost their (incomplete, but usable nonetheless) MPE-functions...
I reported it as well, will be fixed in the next beta was the response. Actually if you open a session where you did set them, they still work...
Unfortunately I didn‘t keep beta 3...

When deactivating a plug-in (either directly or when deactivating its track) unload the plugin
This is a big deal. :love: :love: :love:

digitalfix wrote: Wed Jan 30, 2019 4:42 pm
When deactivating a plug-in (either directly or when deactivating its track) unload the plugin
This is a big deal. :love: :love: :love:
Yeah, unless you DON'T want to load huge chains every time you activate a track... The behaviour should be user's choice.
Music tech enthusiast
DAW, VST & hardware hoarder
My "music": https://soundcloud.com/antic604

Return to “Bitwig”