What did you buy in 2018?

Anything about hardware musical instruments.
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

What did you buy in the last year?
Did it meet your expectations?
How much do you use it?

Novation LaunchPad Pro
lp.jpg
Yes.
I had one from the previous year and bought a second one as an extension.
Often I'll use one as a control surface while the other operates in note mode. Though mostly I use them set up in octaves to extend the range. Still not a linnstrument which I would trade both for but if I had a linn I'd still keep both of them.

Recording King RPS7
rps.jpg
It's the first flat top acoustic guitar I've had in ages. Love the tone though it was at sometimes challenging getting back to the feel of a real acoustic guitar with real acoustic strings. I swapped them out for "old timey" strings that were more inline with what players were using back then. Love it. Played it everyday over summer when I'd work doubles and have an hour or two break during shifts. Oddly it gets no play time now. Generally I'll default to playing my Jazz Box or Charvel Pro Mod when in the house.

Korg nanoKey Studio
kns.jpg
I got it because... I prefer working with x/y controllers and knobs on certain projects. The bluetooth connectivity was a plus because I just didn't want another usb cable hanging around. I've got plenty of ports on the computer the front four are already filled up and I'm using a few of the back 6 but it's cable hell in my studio already. Used it for a solid month but then lost interest. Keys are clacky as all get up.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by tapper mike on Wed Dec 12, 2018 9:12 am, edited 1 time in total.
Synapse Audio Dune 3 I'm in love

tapper mike wrote: Wed Dec 12, 2018 8:42 am What did you buy in the last year?
Too much :dog:

Lots of Eurorack modules. I had about 100HP of free space at the start of the year and it's full now.

For non-Euro:

Chase Bliss Dark World (preordered)
Earthquaker Afterneath
Korg clip-on mic (intended for tuners, but abused for other purposes)
Modal Craftsynth 2 (Kickstarted)
Olympus LS-P2 recorder
Red Panda Tensor
Rochambeau Musical Apparatus Monobius (one-off 6-knob version, used)
WMD Geiger Counter (rare black colorway)
Zoom MS-70CDR

Also my spouse decided she wanted to start a Gothic Appalachian project, and picked up a bunch of acoustic starter instruments. There's a mandolin, 6-string guitar, violin, mountain dulcimer, and a children's accordion. So far all that's come out of it is about four lines of lyrics and I've gone through a few online mandolin lessons.

Wonder if i should bless myself with one of these for Christmas:

That size is all i need really... and it has many knobs.

Edit: Ordered. :)
Last edited by chk071 on Wed Dec 12, 2018 10:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.

To much to bother listing :)

Just one thing: a Push 2. Haven't used it that much (apparently my ancient laptop doesn't like it: I get audio dropouts galore in Live 9 Suite).

Lots of stuff, mostly cables. :hihi:
I had a rack of signal processors stolen a few years ago that was worth about $10k (API 2500, UBK Fatso, rack of 500-series EQs and pres). I was able to get the API 2500 back and I bought a new 500 rack with some DIY Pres and stereo processors from Elysia. I'm really happy about that.

I also got a bunch of eurorack stuff, a MiniBrute 2, Rack Brute 6U, Field Kit FX, pre-ordered a Waldorf Quantum... but I'm mostly saving for a new house/studio space.

The best purchase of the year? NEW DESK CHAIR! No more folding chairs or drum stools for me! :lol:

NI S49 mk 2 and Komplete 11. Use it constantly.

And this baby for retro gaming and sounds. Got a MT-32 on the way too. :)
https://youtu.be/8uaYuyXj8x4
My Soundcloud Too many pieces of music finish far too long after the end. - Stravinsky

Too much, way too much.

This is what I remember right now:

- Roland TB-03, TR-08, TR-8S
- Clavia Nord Rack 2x (second-hand)
- Arturia BeatStep Pro, DrumBrute Impact
- Boss Blues Driver, DD-7, SD-1
- Digitech Polara
- Allen&Heat K2
- Shure SM-58
- Samson C02 Pair
- SE-02 editor (Santoul Edition)
- Cubase 10 Pro (upgrade from 9.5)
- Reason 10 upgrade / Europa (I bought the upgrade during the Europa VST launch, but I was interested just in Europa VST).
- Eventide H3000 Band Delays, SP2016 Reverb
- Izotope Ozone 8 Standard
- Kontakt 6
- Air Velvet 2
- PSP Xenon
- Unfiltered Audio BYOME
- "Mastering Audio 3rd edition" by Bob Katz
- "Recording Unhinged: Creative and Unconventional Music Recording Techniques" by Sylvia Massy
- Various items such as cheap percussions, a spring tank, mic stands, etc.

I think this is 90-95% of what I bought this year, I'm sure something is missing in this list...
Then I have ordered another pedal (I hope it will arrive before the end of the year) and maybe I'll buy something else if it makes sense (but nothing big, because I already have too many tools).
free multisamples (last upd: 22th May 2021).
-------------------------
I vote with my wallet.

kovacs wrote: Wed Dec 12, 2018 7:46 pm NI S49 mk 2 and Komplete 11. Use it constantly.

And this baby for retro gaming and sounds. Got a MT-32 on the way too. :)
https://youtu.be/8uaYuyXj8x4
I love workstations and sample based rack modules oddly not enough to buy. If I won the lottery I'd fill a wall or two with them.

sin night wrote: Wed Dec 12, 2018 7:58 pm Too much, way too much.

This is what I remember right now:
-----------------------------------
Not jealous at all
Not jealous at all
Not jealous at all
Not jealous at all
Not jealous at all
Not jealous at all
Not jealous at all
Not jealous at all
Not jealous at all
Not jealous at all
Not jealous at all

Okay maybe a little.

all of that (the euro, not the frac[bug]), plus the field kit, several pedals and a crazy8 sequencer.

as the year isn't over, im also looking to add the morphagene and possibly a delay or reverb module?

nothing

there is stuff i need, and stuff i want, but i dont spend enough time doing music to warrant the expense. infact, these days most of the 'music' i do is commissioned stuff (remixes, factory sounds, dj sets etc etc) so its not the fun stuff (tho i do enjoy it)

tbh, i prefer listening (to old music) than making these days, i think its called reapprecitation :hihi:

tcc_medusa-2.jpg
tcc_abyss_keystep_web.jpg
tcc_orange_schecter.jpg
Medusa, Abyss, Keystep ... and Schecter Tempest Extreme & Orange Crush 20 :)
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Return to “Hardware (Instruments and Effects)”