Dune 3 or Arturia Pigments?

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS
DUNE 3 Pigments 5 Universal - Dune 3 Presets

So Arturia has just released Pigments and Synapse has updated Dune to version 3.

I currently own Dune 2 and Arturia's V Collection, meaning the update to Dune 3 and purchasing Pigments are roughly the same cost.

Having had a look at both, they look like modern synths capable of an "analog" sound. I'm going to get one, but which?

I really like how visual Pigments is, but the sound does sound thin and harsh. Dune sounds better to me but I find the interface a bit old fashioned and didn't find Dune 2 very fun to program.

Does anyone have both and care to recommend one?
Signatures are so early 2000s.

i have neither!
but, you said one sounds thin and harsh and the other sounds better, to you.
your answer is there really, looks can be important i guess but second to sound always!

You have to take in account that Pigment is quite a bit more taxing on the CPU and RAM due to that "super modern" GUI, so think about that, too. Also, you mentioned that Pigment sounds thinner and harsher to you, and I can only confirm that. Even Dune 2 sounds better. :tu:

One of the biggest selling points for Pigment IMHO is its visually fun and easy to program interface, but I don't think Dune 3 is any harder to program, just a bit less visually fun. Remember that people who listen to your music won't notice the GUI you used... :hihi:
Last edited by DuX on Wed Dec 12, 2018 7:43 pm, edited 2 times in total.
It is no measure of health to be well adjusted to a profoundly sick society. - Jiddu Krishnamurti

Go for Altiverb or Reason.
Cats are intended to teach us that not everything in nature has a function | http://soundcloud.com/bmoorebeats

Demo both, and choose the one that pleases you more (sound, workflow, mixing in the project, presets, programmability, etc.).

I have more than 10 wavetable synths, and honestly, I wouldn't be able to choose one instead of another. If I had to just pick one wavetable, I would probably go for one of the two samplers that also offer wavetable (Falcon and HALion), just because they do a lot more.

In what concerns wavetable, strictly speaking, no synth replaces the other, as all sound different IMO. Just a remark though: Although DUNE 3 now has a wavetable editor, you don't have that many wavetables available in its own format (and yes, I also have DUNE 3). Pigments use the (now kind of standard) Serum WAV wavetable format. The offer in that format us HUGE (Hive uses the same format as standard, BTW, as well as its own UHM).

Regarding the sound, I disagree with you, but I will not discuss that since we all hear and see things differently.
Last edited by fmr on Wed Dec 12, 2018 8:04 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Fernando (FMR)

For me preferred Dune 3. Because for sound better - better sound ))

vurt wrote: Wed Dec 12, 2018 7:35 pm i have neither!
your answer is there really, looks can be important i guess but second to sound always!
It is not just looks. Pigments has an impressive workflow. I like it much more than Dune... which I find kinda clunky workflow wise.

As for sound... I'm not sold on the Pigments sound. When I downloaded the demo, I first tried a bunch of presets and did not much like how it sounded. Then today I created a few of my own sounds and was pleased with those. So as of now I'm undecided on the sound. I have to do some more sound design and push its limits some. I like the fundamental sound of the new Hive 1.2 with wavetables more than Pigments. Pigments will go some places Hive doesn't, so it is there I need to see what the sound quality is (using the FM, PM, PD and Wavefolding)

Pretty much decided against Dune 3 because my guess is that the workflow will be enough of a deterrent that it would be one of those synths that gets purchased and not used.

Kongru wrote: Wed Dec 12, 2018 7:32 pm So Arturia has just released Pigments and Synapse has updated Dune to version 3.

I currently own Dune 2 and Arturia's V Collection, meaning the update to Dune 3 and purchasing Pigments are roughly the same cost.

Having had a look at both, they look like modern synths capable of an "analog" sound. I'm going to get one, but which?

I really like how visual Pigments is, but the sound does sound thin and harsh. Dune sounds better to me but I find the interface a bit old fashioned and didn't find Dune 2 very fun to program.

Does anyone have both and care to recommend one?
I'm soon to have both, but haven't pulled the trigger yet :)
For me it's not the choice between the two, it's to choose the two. And yes, I have GAS, but I love it :)

Think of it this way, you will get both of them cheaper than RAPID or Avenger (which I have both of as well :)).
i9-10900K | 128GB DDR4 | RTX 3090 | Arturia AudioFuse/KeyLab mkII/SparkLE | PreSonus ATOM/ATOM SQ | Studio One | Reason | Bitwig Studio | Reaper | Renoise | FL Studio | ~900 VSTs | 300+ REs

I've been using D3 and Pigment, and they sound really good together in a mix. D3 can sound fatter and wider. But Pigment doesn't really sound that thin to me. Maybe average weight.

I also don't hear that harshness from Pigment. Not like Serum, which can be piercing sometimes. Pigment sounds warmer in comparison.

Honestly, you have D2 already. It's just as capable as D3, minus some new features and presets. I would just hold on to that. And if you don't like the sound of Pigment, not much reason to get it.

So I would recommend waiting for Massive X. :tu:

Rapid! All of them in one synth and much more!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ijW7coACeyE

Lol...all „should i take synth A or B“ ends in „take synth C“. :D
However, i would choose Dune 3. While i think the GUI and workflow is much better in Pigments i find the sound i can get out of Dune 3 much better and it can do much more wild modulation madness.
I still demo Pigment but it just let me cold.

fmr wrote: Wed Dec 12, 2018 7:43 pm Just a remark though: Although DUNE 3 now has a wavetable editor, you don't have that many wavetables available in its own format

wrong... there are a ton of 3rd party ones (that are also made by ppl who provide factory wts, so not rubbish)

Mark Holt is constantly making amazing original WTs

http://forum.synapse-audio.com/viewtopi ... =3&t=12108

http://forum.synapse-audio.com/viewtopi ... =3&t=12297

http://forum.synapse-audio.com/viewtopi ... =7&t=11108

there are prob more here at KvR if you can be arsed to look, i def cant.

Safe to say, i have so many WTs on my HDD i havent got round to trying half of them

pdxindy wrote: Wed Dec 12, 2018 7:54 pm
vurt wrote: Wed Dec 12, 2018 7:35 pm i have neither!
It is not just looks. Pigments has an impressive workflow. I like it much more than Dune... which I find kinda clunky workflow wise.
i was just answering him, based on his experience :)
both synths are great, we have so many great synths, im certainly not putting pigments down.

My choice: the C solution.
A, b : no Mpe, it's just a must have for me.
I must recognize, the sound of dune3 is really great, the filters and the new supersaw model are so good, pigment have a nice interface, the turing machine, the gates options for a lot of modulator and the fm,phm, folding are nice, but without mpe, it's a no,no, so sorry...
Best
YY

Because you already own Dune 2, the big question is if you are a heavy user of the wavetable oscillator? Do you have some plan to create own wavetables or import wavetables from other synth? The only time I created a wavetable was with Serum, when this synth was newly released. Never again I've used this feature. So for me a wavetable editor is not such an important feature - and this is one of the main new features of Dune 3.

Return to “Instruments”