Work in progress. Feedback appreciated.

Share your music, collaborate, and partake in monthly music contests.
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Another WIP:

https://soundcloud.com/7zark7/120818_120bpm

Work in progress made with Synapse-Audio Orion, Dune 3, Legend, DrumRack, Alesis Micron, Korg ES2, Korg Minilogue, Korg MS20 Mini, Korg SQ-1, Korg Volca Sample, Roland JD-Xi, Roland MC-307, 1010 Audio BitBox, and some free samples.

As always, feedback is appreciated.
I haven't worked at this tempo in a while.

*Updated 12/29/18 - with "You Can't Catch Me" and "I Can Fly" samples

-7zark7
Last edited by 7zark7 on Sun Dec 30, 2018 12:00 am, edited 3 times in total.

Nice calm groove/track. Good mix.

Yep, good groove and mix. Well done.

dp

Pro feel.
Love the vibe. :tu:

Wow this is Great! Nice work. Love that wide lead and also that shimmery warbly thing dead centre (what is that?).

But you know what - right at 4:16 at the very end outro it cuts away to a really nice chord - right there. That chord got my full attention like whoah there's something new happening here, this could be awesome, this could go to another level. Sadly, it's there for a second and it's gone. Disappointment!

I think you should use that (plus a few complementary chords around it) somewhere in the middle of the track and use it to build a nice breakdown/bridge and rise back up again to the main groove for the outro (where you could have it hang off the end too as it is, maybe extended a bit through the fade).

My Feedback

Music - 8
Instruments - 9
Performance - 10
Mix - 8.5

Overall - 8.875

Comments: Drums really cut through. I might actually reign them it a little but that's just a personal preference. Nothing wrong with what you did. Just, wow. Not too many tracks where I really notice the drums, especially the snare. I prefer the parts where the drums are slightly more in the background. Musically, bordering on minimalist as far as melody. In fact, is there a melody in this? Doesn't appear to be so. Feels like a backing track for vocals. In fact, I think this would make a killer backing track for a song. But then that snare would have to be tamed a bit. Anyway, for what it is, very well done. Just some personal things in it that aren't my favorite kind of production choices.

Good stuff. Well balanced mix. Nice groove, and subtle build as the tune progresses. I like it (I like the robot too) :)

Hey everyone.

Thanks for the all of feedback so far.

@mogwai

I think that the shimmery thing that you are referring to is two sample loops clashing.
The nice chord at the end is part of a chord progression that runs through most of the song. There is nothing at the end that hasn't been running throughout the track. There are definitely parts of the track that I should strip down to expose individual elements. I will make sure that those pop in the next draft. I agree as well about a breakdown/bridge. I thought that it would come to me when I decide if it is going to be a song or a track. Thanks so much for the feedback. It is just the kind of thing that I want to hear.

@wagtunes

Wow! Am I mistaken, or is that a fairly high rating coming from you?
There is a chord progression buried in there, and I suppose that the melody follows the bassline. Not too interesting I know. With regard to the drums. I know that you are right, but when I mix for streaming, I want to make sure that there is still some impact. The problem is when the snap and multiple snares are all happening at once. I will fix it. Thanks so much for the feedback.

@thecontrolcentre

Thanks man! The robot is 7zark7 from "G-Force", or as it was known in the states "Battle of the Planets". It's really old anime.

-7zark7

7zark7 wrote: Sun Dec 16, 2018 7:40 am Another WIP:

https://soundcloud.com/7zark7/120818_120bpm

Work in progress made with Synapse-Audio Orion, Dune 3, Legend, DrumRack, Alesis Micron, Korg ES2, Korg Minilogue, Korg MS20 Mini, Korg SQ-1, Korg Volca Sample, Roland JD-Xi, Roland MC-307, 1010 Audio BitBox, and some free samples.

As always, feedback is appreciated.
I haven't worked at this tempo in a while.

-7zark7

Return to “Music Cafe”